Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > Page Counts on Editions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments I was told to bring this to this group.
2 things that have been bugging me.
First, I have seen some Really crazy inconsistent page counts on various editions of the same book. For instance Convicted by Dee Tenorio has 2 kindle editions, 1 says 67 pages, the other 196 pages. The ebook & paperback are 241 & 242 respectively. This is only an example of the numerous books I have run into with these large discrepancies. To add to this, I have noticed the page counts on Amazon Kindle are not lining up with the listing for that book on GR. So I think their page numbers are out of whack also. I saw one that was 100's of pages off.
Second, I have at least 70 books on my to read shelves without any page count of any kind. Since I haven't read them, and I can not depend on the Amazon Page Count being correct, I have no idea how long or short the book truly is.
Thank you for taking time to read this. Any response will be appreciated.
This was somewhat answered for me, but....
Do you want me to list every book I find with the inconsistencies and missing page counts here?

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Aug 08, 2018 09:48AM) (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1759 comments I've corrected the page count of one of the Kindle editions of Convicted per Amazon. The page count that was on there (196) was added before the book was published, so it's likely the actual page count was not yet available at the time the book was added and no one had updated it after publication.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

The other one (with page count of 67) is no longer on Amazon and cannot be updated. It's possible this book was turned into a longer book since this one was from 3 years prior to the other editions. I also reverted a cover change on this one.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

If you have other Kindle editions with wrong/missing page counts, you can post those and they can be updated as long as it's still available on Amazon and has the same cover. If the cover on Amazon is different then a new edition with the new cover/page count will need to be added.

If you post more than one book to be updated in the same post, please number them and put a line break between every five or so. This will help get them completed as librarians can work on some of them if they don't have time for all of them and they can post which numbers they completed.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41982 comments Mod
Debra wrote: "Do you want me to list every book I find with the inconsistencies and missing page counts here?"

Yes, please.

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Melanie wrote: "I've corrected the page count of one of the Kindle editions of Convicted per Amazon. The page count that was on there (196) was added before the book was published, so it's likely the actual page c..."

Thank you Melanie. I will do the best I can. I have been working on trying to make my shelves more informative for me. My old way of listing by author no longer worked as it became to extensive. I found I needed the proper format for books and that is how I 1st started running into these inconsistencies.
It will probably be easier for me to post just a few books at a time, so I will make each post no more than 5. It will help me to keep up with what I have reported to you and stay within the guidelines you have given me.

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments rivka wrote: "Debra wrote: "Do you want me to list every book I find with the inconsistencies and missing page counts here?"

Yes, please."

I will start on this today, but if I mess a listing up please let me know.
Most of the books I will be listing I have not read.
They are on my 'To Read' shelf.
Thank you all for helping me.

message 6: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Oh, I have another question before I start listing them.
Does it matter how I post it on here if it is an ebook and not available on Amazon?
The first one I have the info on is not on Amazon. I just checked.
It was sent via mobi file on one of those other book things.

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Tempting Me by Carrie Ann Ryan

He is the one I mentioned in the above list.
Let me know if you need more info

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1759 comments Debra wrote: "Tempting Me by Carrie Ann Ryan

Let me know if you need more info"

Unfortunately we can't add page counts to books like that if the author doesn't list on their site how long the book is and it's rare for them to do that.

I believe if it was a pdf we could add the page count as those have a set number of pages and won't change between devices.

For regular ebooks (not Kindle editions or stories like the one above), the page count must come from the publisher's site and be confirmed by matching the ISBN.

message 11: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Melanie wrote: "Debra wrote: "Tempting Me by Carrie Ann Ryan

Let me know if you need more info"

Unfortunately we can't add page coun..."

Okay. I'm not sure which are which, so I will list what I find and let you guys let me know if it can be done.
The ones you can't do, I'm thinking maybe I should contact the author through their page and ask as a question if they are accepting them.

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Okay, these next one are really weird.
I purchased it from Amazon, but the pages are Amazon Dog> page no longer available.
In fact, the authors page is now completely empty.

The Vampire Prince's Bride by T.S. Ryder

message 13: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments #9.1 added page count from PDF
#9.2 and 9.3 - does those ebooks exist anywhere?
I searched by titles and done reverse search on the covers and couldn't find them.

message 14: by Olivia (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:21PM) (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments #10 both have only ARC reviews and no info on publication date or availability

message 15: by Olivia (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:20PM) (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments #12 added page count from the description

message 16: by Debra (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:24PM) (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Olivia wrote: "#9.1 added page count from PDF
I searched by titles and done reverse search on the covers and couldn't find them."

I'm assuming that by 9.2 & 9.3 you are referring to message 9, 2nd book listed. If that is the case;
9.2 would be A Guardian Holiday

From my notes/tags it was sent to me as a mobi file ebook. My purchase date is November 3, 2016. When I go to the book page it says ' 4.75 · Rating details · 4 Ratings · 1 Review'
It is downloaded on my Kindle on my laptop but not in my docs yet. I don't know if it was from the author or something like bookfunnel, etc.

message 17: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Olivia wrote: "#9.1 added page count from PDF
I searched by titles and done reverse search on the covers and couldn't find them."

9.3 would be The Billionaire's Secret Duology

This book consist of The Billionaire's Secret Heart (Book 1) &
The Billionaire's Secret Love (book 2).

Once again it was sent to me as a mobi file on or near April 24, 2017.
The Billionaire's Secret Heart is listed on Amazon. Amazon has it as 130 pgs.

The Billionaire's Secret Love is listed on Amazon as 168 pgs.

Does that help?

message 18: by Debra (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:38PM) (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Olivia wrote: "#10 both have only ARC reviews and no info on publication date or availability"

Which means contact the author and wait & see. Lol
Thank you for so much help Olivia.
I don't know how y'all do all this. Just looking at the numbers in the threads makes my eyes spin!

message 19: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Olivia wrote: "#12 added page count from the description"

Awesome!

message 20: by Debra (last edited Aug 10, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments *I forgot to add the author, so I am editing my post to include it.
I guess we are ready for another one. This one has 2 different titles in Editions.
Both titles are the same book.

Billionaire's Scandal
Published July 18th 2016
Kindle Edition
Scandal by Willow Winters

message 21: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Okay, to get back to my list of books on my 'To Read' shelf with edition problems. Oh, and a huge thank you for helping with this!

Nailing Studs by Virna DePaul

This one I purchased from Amazon kindle.
Here is the info under 'Product Details'

File Size: 1490 KB
Publication Date: June 3, 2018
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B07DHCWPP8

message 22: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments This one is an ebook/mobi file.
I could not find it on Amazon at all.

To Love A Pirate by Daniella Wright

message 23: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Even though she has an author's page on Amazon, all her books have disappeared.

Step Daddy Desires by Rye Hart

message 24: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments This one came from Amazon.

Collared by the Forbidden Professor by Q. Zayne

Product Details
File Size: 430 KB
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Hughes Empire (April 12, 2018)
Publication Date: April 12, 2018
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B07C5QG4FL

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Here is one I just purchased from Amazon that has whacked out page counts on the various kindle editions.

Tainted Kiss by Terri Anne Browning

message 26: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Melanie wrote: "I've corrected the page count of one of the Kindle editions of Convicted per Amazon. The page count that was on there (196) was added before the book was published, so it's likely the actual page c..."

Thank you Melanie.
This is very new to me, posting like this, so I am learning as I go.
I will make it one book per post from now on.

message 27: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments rivka wrote: "Debra wrote: "Do you want me to list every book I find with the inconsistencies and missing page counts here?"

Yes, please."

Ms. Rivka, I hate to sound like I am making assumptions, but I haven't had a response on at least the last 6 messages I posted.
Have I done something wrong or just not being patient enough?
I know the Librarians have an enormous workload & a lot are volunteers. But there hasn't been any response since August 8th.
I'm probably just being impatient, but I really want to see as many of these books editions corrected as I can.
I don't mean to sound rude. I hope I am not coming off that way.
Thank you to any response.

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's been less than a day. And all Goodreads Librarians are volunteers.

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments Not most but all are volunteers :)

#21 Nailing Studs has a new cover so we can't add any details from amazon. Unfortunately the new cover edition doesn't have a page count on amazon either.

message 30: by Abcdarian (last edited Aug 10, 2018 06:40PM) (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments If the page count information for kindles is not on Amazon, there's nothing we can do. If it's for an ebook other than kindle, we need to be able to match the ISBN to a listing on the publisher's site usually.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments #24 No page count on amazon, I did create the series for you.

#25 Only the current amazon record can be changed, and it is correct. Previous editions once they are superseded, remain static. And its not uncommon for page counts to go up & down with kindle editions. No idea why.

message 32: by Debra (last edited Aug 10, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Sandra wrote: "Not most but all are volunteers :)

rivka wrote: "It's been less than a day. And all Goodreads Librarians are volunteers."

Okay, so I am being to impatient. And a pain in the butt.
I truly do appreciate all the work y'all do. GR is actually my favorite site. And I feel it takes a great love and intelligence to do what you do for GR.
I promise to be more patient and less insecure in the future!

message 33: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Sandra wrote: "#24 No page count on amazon, I did create the series for you.

#25 Only the current amazon record can be changed, and it is correct. Previous editions once they are superseded, remain static. And i..."

Thank you Sandra. 😊

message 34: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments #23 This is an ebook and I can't find any more details than are already on the record. Her website is inaccessible unless you join her newsletter which promises daily posts - no thank you.

#22 Also an ebook & I can't find any other information on it.

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments Ebooks are very hard to pin down a page count. If it isn't a PDF we need a publisher with an isbn & page count or the same from the author. That's why most ebooks don't have page numbers.

And for Kindle editions we can only use what Amazon posts. If they don't have anything, and lately its been harder to get page numbers, then we can't post anything.

message 36: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Abcdarian wrote: "If the page count information for kindles is not on Amazon, there's nothing we can do. If it's for an ebook other than kindle, we need to be able to match the ISBN to a listing on the publisher's s..."

So if I got the book from Amazon & there's no page count, then I shouldn't bother listing it here?
Maybe on those I should wait & see if Amazon eventually puts a page count on it, or contact the author instead?

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments Basically, yes :)

If you contact the author, they should encourage amazon to add the page count.

message 38: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Debra wrote: "Okay, so I am being to impatient. And a pain in the butt."

Just a bit impatient.

message 39: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Sandra wrote: "#23 This is an ebook and I can't find any more details than are already on the record. Her website is inaccessible unless you join her newsletter which promises daily posts - no thank you...."

Egads! The last thing we need is daily newsletter emails. I spend hours deleting emails everyday.
Yours has to be 100 times worse than mine!!
And what a whacked out way to set up your website.
Hmmmm, that book maybe a future delete from my shelves.
I don't even remember why I downloaded that one.

message 40: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Sandra wrote: "Basically, yes :)

If you contact the author, they should encourage amazon to add the page count."

Okay, so that's what I will do for the ones on Amazon in the future.

You guys are awesome! Thank you.

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments LOL. I can't stand the way bookfunnel operates, and instafreebie isn't much better. I don't even look at those emails anymore. And yes, I end up with way too much stuff in my inbox.

I was pretty amazed at the way it was set up too. Absolutely no access at all. And no details on the home page either.

message 42: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Sandra wrote: "LOL. I can't stand the way bookfunnel operates, and instafreebie isn't much better. I don't even look at those emails anymore. And yes, I end up with way too much stuff in my inbox.

I was pretty ..."

Yep, that's why my ratio of Amazon kindle to mobi files leans way to amazon.
I don't know why they set it up that way.
How do you know if you want to sign up to an author's newsletter until you read their book? You don't. And some of them have you signing up more than once.
They also tend to say it's a book when its not.
Those I delete. When I catch it.
I actually think instafreebie is worse than bookfunnel, but I may be getting them mixed up.

message 43: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments Probably not, noticed Instafreebie has a lot of novellas, but you've got to jump some hoops with bookfunnel, at least I have to. LOL.

message 44: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Very true. I forgot about that. Click here. Sign up here. Your book has been sent. Go back and wait. Click email. Click book. Go back to their site. Click again to download book.
Add to all that, I look each book up on GR before I download it.

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments Oh yes, I always check on GR before I dl anything.

message 46: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Sandra wrote: "Oh yes, I always check on GR before I dl anything."

Oh, I forgot one of the other bookfunnel steps.
When you dl it to your device you have to have their app downloaded and enter a code # into it to get it on that device.
Since I only download mobi files and on my laptop, I forgot about that. This is on of the many reasons I love my kindle app!
I don't have to do that. If it is a mobi file all I have to do is right click it and send to my device. Just wish that device and my kindle pc would recognize and sync that book.
If there is a way for that to happen I don't know what it is.
It's hard for this old dog to learn new tricks.

message 47: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Sandra wrote: "Basically, yes :)

If you contact the author, they should encourage amazon to add the page count."

I see I need to add another shelf for this endeavor.
One titled 'Contact Author'.
Hmmm, yep, that is a definite. They really need to take better care of their babies if they want us to purchase, read, review and share them.
And some of these author pages need a lot more work.
I don't understand why the authors don't put just a little more effort into their page. Really, it's like a store front. If you want people to come in you need to make it appealing.

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments I totally agree that some author profiles are sadly lacking. Some authors don't know that GR exists. Though more probably know now that it is part of Amazon.

message 49: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments Sandra wrote: "I totally agree that some author profiles are sadly lacking. Some authors don't know that GR exists. Though more probably know now that it is part of Amazon."

True. And like me, there is always a lot to learn on any new endeavor.
I ran into an author a few weeks ago when we went to 'the city' lol. The mall was having one of those events where people were set up selling fan stuff, authors and artist of varying genres. The author may daughter was drawn to writes what I call 'adultish' paranormal books. They are like a dark gothic type (my description). He & I got into a discussion about both Amazon & GR. He didn't realize that he could ask GR librarians for help setting up his page, etc.
Lmbo, I set him straight. I told him all the numerous ways he can get help not only with his author's page but also in listing his books properly.
My daughter bought his book & she is loving it. She's 19 and it is just adult enough and not too adult for her. Who knows, I may read it after her.
Bottom line, he was very happy to hear the possibilities of what he can do on GR.

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23173 comments Well done Debra!

« previous 1