What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Land (Logans, #1)
This topic is about The Land
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Historical Fiction- Autobiography about a mixed child born from a master/slave relationship and raised like he's white. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydbees) This is driving me CRAZY I read this book when I was in middle school (2011-2014) and I can't find it anywhere! It was an autobiography about a boy who was born from a master/slave relationship and I think his mother died but the master cared about her/the son so he raised him like his actual child and not just a slave. The story follows a theme of him realizing that society treats him differently for being black even though in his youth it wasn't a big deal, and a big thing is his brothers starting to ostracize him. He wants to be a horse jockey but I think because he's black it isn't an option for him, and he becomes a carpenters apprentice instead. He eventually ends up owning his own property (I think) and marrying, being a really good carpenter, etc.... Even though I read this in middle school I'm not sure if it was actually something a child would typically read, and I think it may have won a prize of some sort? Please someone tell me the name of this book I'm dying here!!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5052 comments Maybe, The Land by Mildred D. Taylor ?

Do you remember the cover?

message 3: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1221 comments I was going to suggest The Land too.

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydbees) Tab wrote: "Maybe, The Land by Mildred D. Taylor ?

Do you remember the cover?"

YES that's it thank you!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Land (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mildred D. Taylor (other topics)