What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > dystopian-ish book set in a small made-up country about this guy who invents a business strategy for a business that sells fridges?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Jaramillo (geil_flynn) | 3 comments So this is a tricky one. My mother has read this book between 1987-1992 but this was in the USSR so it might have been published before then in other countries.
it is a novel maybe by a french-speaking author and it's set in a small made-up country where it's hot (maybe the caribbeans or some former french colony??) one of the characters works for a business that sells appliances (she remembers specifically fridges). this business is in some big economic trouble so they call this other guy (which is the antagonist kind of) that invents a business strategy to sell stuff to people. he's so good at this and this strategy is so successful that the business is saved. other business are inspired by this and this business strategy sort of becomes a state policy. people buy SO much stuff because the more you buy the less taxes you pay. They pretty much can't leave the store without having bought something, some end up having like ten fridges or ovens in their homes and they basically beg the sellers to buy things.
the main character undestrands that this has gotten way out of hand, but the business is earning so much that they ignore him. he tries to oppose this madness.
my mom doesn't remember the ending but honestly this is driving us crazy haha.
thanks to anyone who will be able to help!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Sabrina ~~
You can bump your thread every thirty days or so to move it back to the top of the folder. More eyes will see your thread, and someone must know it!

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments This sounds a bit like a version of Fred Pohl's Midas World Midas World (or something that was inspired by Midas World)

See this description of one of the stories https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midas_W...

"In a world of cheap energy, robots are overproducing the commodities enjoyed by mankind. The lower-class "poor" must spend their lives in frantic consumption, trying to keep up with the robots' extravagant production, while the upper-class "rich" can live lives of simplicity. Property crime is nonexistent, and the government Ration Board enforces the use of ration stamps to ensure that everyone consumes their quotas. The story deals with Morey Fry, who marries a woman from a higher-class family. Raised in a home with only five rooms she is unused to a life of forced consumption in their mansion of 26 rooms, nine automobiles, and five robots, causing arguments."

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Come to think of it, Pohl has a story in which sales of refrigerators is a key element - "The Tunnel Under the World" - I wonder if your mom read a collection with both "The Midas Plague" and "Tunnel" (Tunnel under the world is available here http://www.gutenberg.org/files/31979/...)

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Sabrina, did you check out Andy's suggestion?

message 6: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Jaramillo (geil_flynn) | 3 comments Yes I did and I'm afraid that's not it! Doesn't ring a bell. Thank you so much though!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Midas World (other topics)