Chat, Eat, and Read discussion

Bookshelf - 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lilith (new)

Lilith | 802 comments Mod
Hey guys!
I was wondering if everyone would be interested in reading Love Anthony, by Lisa Genova. We read a book by her way back in the day called Inside the O'Briens. If so, I was thinking we could schedule it for our January book.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Heffner | 1076 comments Mod
That looks good. There is another autism themed book The Kiss Qoutient also looks good.

message 3: by Lilith (new)

Yeah, that one looks okay.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Lilith maybe we could read Oblivion by David Foster Wallace in November? It’s supposed to be really good and it’s a pretty short book.

message 5: by Lilith (new)

No

message 6: by Deborah (new)

No??? Maybe??

message 7: by Lilith (new)

No David Foster Wallace.

message 8: by Lilith (new)

Hey everyone!
I was wondering if everyone would be okay with switching the Seven Husbands book with Testosterone Rex: myths of sex, science and society, by Cordelia Fine? I think this would be a nice change of pace from the kinds of books we have been reading.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

I have that book! I bought it last year.

message 10: by Lilith (new)

oh good!

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Okay I have updated the book schedule through the end of the year.

message 12: by Lilith (new)

You forgot "Love Anthony" by Lisa Genova for January!

message 13: by Deborah (new)

I’ll add it tonight.

message 14: by Lilith (new)

Thanks!

message 15: by Deborah (new)

How’s does everyone feel about reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed in February? It has pretty good ratings and is a memoir.

message 16: by Deborah (new)

I was thinking of going back to a book every three weeks in 2019? Or how about 15 books?

message 17: by Lilith (new)

I saw the movie, which I enjoyed...although not to the point of being interested in the book. I find I also tend to read the book before the movie adaptation comes out. If you add it to the schedule, that's okay with me, but I'll have to opt out of reading it...I don't feel like I'm interested enough.

As for reading a book every three weeks, if the schedule was that way, I'd be fine with it, but I don't think I could always stick to every three weeks. I find one book every month works well for me. I feel less overwhelmed than I did before, knowing that on the first of every month there is a new book and we have all month to read it. With work and other extra-curricular activities, I find myself having a little less time to read than I did before.

message 18: by Lilith (new)

Don't forget to add Love Anthony, by Lisa Genova for our January book!

message 19: by Lilith (new)

Hey guys! I added "Moody Bitches" by Julie Holland to the bookshelf. If everyone is interested in reading it, maybe we could add it to the schedule! I skimmed through it quickly...It looks like an easy read.

message 20: by Lilith (new)

Hi everybody!
Just to let you know, I still haven't received the Elizabeth Berg book from the library. It's a new release and a lot of people have reserved it. I'm worried I won't get it in time for when we start it in December. Would everyone mind if we read "Moody Bitches" starting December and delay the Elizabeth Berg book to January? I already own "Moody Bitches."

message 21: by Deborah (new)

That’s fine!! I just ordered Moody Bitches from book outlets Black Friday sale. I should have it next week.

message 22: by Lilith (new)

I removed the Elizabeth Berg book to add Moody Bitches in its places, but for some reason it won't let me. Can you do it please?

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Yup, I’ll do it tonight.

message 24: by Lilith (new)

thanks!

message 25: by Lilith (new)

It's not there.

message 26: by Deborah (new)

Wait we’re keeping the Elizabeth Berg in December? I haven’t started the 2019 list yet.

message 27: by Deborah (new)

FIXED

message 28: by Lilith (new)

Yes! Because the library JUST received it!

message 29: by Lilith (new)

Hey guys!
Would everyone be interested in reading "What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriarty for our March book? I checked it out...It looks good and the reviews are good! I copy/pasted the description if anyone is interested...

Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child.

So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, she has three kids and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find out whether it’s possible to reconstruct her life at the same time. She has to figure out why her sister hardly talks to her, and how is it that she’s become one of those super skinny moms with really expensive clothes.

Ultimately, Alice must discover whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse, and whether it’s possible to start over.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

Yes!! I have that book!

message 31: by Deborah (new)

How about Daisy Jones and the Six for April?

message 32: by Lilith (new)

Oh good! I just checked out "Daisy Jones and the Six." Meehh....not sure about that one...

message 33: by Lilith (new)

Hey!
Would anyone be interested in reading "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" by Gail Honeyman for our April Book? I already own it by the way. If not, it's okay...I can read it outside of the bookclub schedule.

message 34: by Deborah (new)

I’ve wanted to read that. I still want to read the new Taylor Jenkins Reid book.

message 35: by Deborah (last edited Mar 18, 2019 05:49PM) (new)

How about adding a few from this list. They all have pretty good ratings on Goodreads.

The Immortalists, Chloe Benjamin
The Kiss Quotient, Helen Hoang
Seven Husbands Of Evelyn Hugo, Taylor Jenkins Reid
Where The Crawdads Sings, Delia Owens
Five Feet Apart, Rachael Lippincott

message 36: by Lilith (new)

I just looked up Where The Crawdads Signs..It looks interesting...but it's 300-something pages...and I feel like that's a big commitment to a book I'm not 100% sure about.

I'm into reading The Kiss Quotient and I just checked...my library has it! I would also be interested in reading Five Feet Apart. I also looked that one up to see if my library has it. All the libraries in my city are listed "In Process" next to that book, meaning the book was ordered and it will take time to come in if I reserve it. But I would like to read it for sure! As for Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, I would read that one...but still not 100% sure about it. And not interested in The Immortalists..

message 37: by Deborah (new)

Make your mind up. Pick two!!

message 38: by Lilith (new)

I did pick two! The Kiss Quotient and Seven Feet Apart!

message 39: by Lilith (new)

message 40: by Lilith (new)

message 41: by Deborah (new)

Okay perfect!!

message 42: by Deborah (new)

I have updated the schedule. We are tentatively scheduled to read the Kiss Quotient in May, and Five Feet Apart in June. We should reconsider adding Where The Crawdads Sing. It currently has a 4.53 rating on Goodreads.

Also, is anybody interested in reading the Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx? I read it ten years ago, and am interested in rereading that. It also has a high score on goodreads.

One more thing. Is anybody interested in reading On The Come Up by Angie Thomas? She wrote the The Hate U Give. I am curious to see how her writing style has evolved since her last book.

message 43: by Lilith (new)

I am interested in reading The Heroin Diaries. I checked the libraries in my city to see if they stock it...and there is only ONE library that stocks it, and it looks like this person has reserved and and the book is longer overdue so I can reserve it, but I don't know when or if it will come in...so maybe it's best to hold off on that one.

As for On The Come Up, I am also interested in that one. All of the libraries have it marked "In Process" so I guess it's a new release? I can reserve that one, but I don't know when exactly it will come in.

message 44: by Lilith (new)

Is anyone interested in reading "You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know" by Heather Sellers? It's on our bookshelf and I own the book.

message 45: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "I am interested in reading The Heroin Diaries. I checked the libraries in my city to see if they stock it...and there is only ONE library that stocks it, and it looks like this person has reserved ..."

Why don't we save these two books for later in the year. I own both so I can read them whenever.

message 46: by Deborah (new)

I think I will pass on this one for now.

message 47: by Lilith (new)

ok

message 48: by Deborah (last edited May 15, 2019 05:44PM) (new)

I was looking at planning the books for the rest of the Summer. The Kiss Quotient does have a sequel. That is something I would like to read later in the year. Any suggestions? I want to read Too Much Is Not Enough by Andrew Rannells (Elijah from Girls) and Era Of Ignition by Amber Tamblyn. They look like quick reads.

Ooh they both have over 4 star readings here and are under 300 pages each.

message 49: by Deborah (new)

I’d also be interested in any fitness or lifestyle books. I’m going to have that beach bod by my birthday.

message 50: by Lilith (new)

I looked into those two books you mentioned. I wasn't really interested in them. But I AM interested in the sequel to The Kiss Quotient. There is only one library here that is receiving it so far, so I think we should wait a bit before adding it to the schedule, in case I can't get a copy in time. I will let you know as soon as there is an update! In the meantime, what about "You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know," by Helen Sellers? Maybe we could add it for our July book? I already own it. I like the idea of adding fitness and lifestyle books. That would be a good change of pace in the schedule. I'm just not sure of any good titles...

« previous 1