READ 100+ BOOKS A YEAR discussion

2018 challenges > August Challenge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 140 comments Mod
Wow! The last full month of summer. The kids will soon be going back to school. I hope you are enjoying your reading so far this year. Looks like some good books were read last month. Now on to August.

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with O.
2. Read a book set in Australia.
3. Red is my favorite color. Read a book with a red cover.
4. Read a graphic novel/memoir.
5. Read a book published the year you were born.
6. Read a forgotten classic.
7. August is National Romance Novel Month so read a romance.
8. Read a book published posthumously.
9. Your choice

message 2: by Sheila (last edited Sep 05, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

I hope I do better this month.

9/9, 13 books

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with O--1984 by George Orwell--finished 8/30/18. 1984 by George Orwell
2. Read a book set in Australia. Lola's Secret by Monica McInerney--finished 8/2/18 Lola's Secret A Novel by Monica McInerney
3. Red is my favorite color. Read a book with a red cover--Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli--finished 8/25/18 Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
4. Read a graphic novel/memoir--Fun Home by Alison Bechdel--finished 8/15/18. Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
5. Read a book published the year you were born.--4:50 From Paddington--Agatha Christine--Finished 9/5/18 4.50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8) by Agatha Christie
6. Read a forgotten classic--Main Street by Sinclair Lewis--finished 8/22/18 Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
7. August is National Romance Novel Month so read a romance--Stepbrother Virgin by Annie George--finished 8/26/18. Stepbrother Virgin by Annie George
8. Read a book published posthumously--Uncollected Poems by Ranier Maria Rilke--finished 8/19/18 Uncollected Poems by Rainer Maria Rilke
9. Your choice--Summer Hours at the Robbers Library by Sue Halpern--finished 8/5/18 Summer Hours at the Robbers Library by Sue Halpern

BONUS:
Clock Dance by Anne Tyler--finished 8/8/18 Clock Dance by Anne Tyler
Twilight by Erin Hunter--finished 8/9/18 Twilight (Warriors The New Prophecy, #5) by Erin Hunter
Texas Blood: Seven Generations Among the Outlaws, Ranchers, Indians Missionaries, Soldiers, and Smugglers of the Borderlands by Roger D. Hodge--finished 8/16/18 Texas Blood Seven Generations Among the Outlaws, Ranchers, Indians, Missionaries, Soldiers, and Smugglers of the Borderlands by Roger D. Hodge
The Fruit Fell Far by Krys King--finished 8/26/18 The Fruit Fell Far by Krys King

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Aug 11, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Rachel Love & Death in Burgundy by Susan C. Shea -Susan C. Shea 8-1-18
This was a fun cozy mystery set in the French countryside where prejudices against Germans still abound despite it being a good generation away from the events of World War II. Both the writing style and the character development were good. I also liked the exploration of how small towns tend to view outsiders in a negative, slightly suspicious manner no matter how long they've lived there; having grown up in a truly small town, I know how true this is to life. Anyway, it was a good although not a great read.

A Passionate Hope Hannah's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #4) by Jill Eileen Smith -Jill Eileen Smith 8-3-18
This was another well written Biblical fiction novel by Jill Eileen Smith. The character development was good, and I found her viewpoints on what Hannah's story and accompanying emotions and struggles might have looked like to be interesting and heart-tugging. I very much enjoyed reading this 4th volume of Smith's Daughters of the Promised Land series.

The Blessed (Shaker, #4) by Ann H. Gabhart -Ann H. Gabhart 8-5-18
Having enjoyed the first three of Ann H. Gabhart's Shaker series and knowing that they read well enough as standalone novels, I jumped back into the series where I'd left off when one of my Goodreads groups, Christian Fiction Devourers, named Gabhart as the featured author for this August. As I expected, this novel was well written, and the characters were well drawn and interesting. The historical setting among this short lived cult was also intriguing as well because I believe that if a novel also makes you think of what you believe and why as well as entertains, it is a bonus to a well written story.

The Gifted (Shaker, #5) by Ann H. Gabhart -Ann H. Gabhart 8-7-18
This is the fifth volume of Ann H. Gabhart's Shaker series, and I liked it just as much as I like the first four books. As I expected, this novel was well written, and the characters were well drawn and interesting. The historical setting among this short lived cult was also intriguing as well because I believe that if a novel also makes you think of what you believe and why as well as entertains, it is a bonus to a well written story.

Christmas at Harmony Hill (Shaker, #5.5) by Ann H. Gabhart -Ann H. Gabhart 8-9-18
This is a novella (#5.5) accompanying Ann H. Gabhart's Shaker series, and I liked it just as much as I like the first five books. As I expected, this novella was well written, and the characters were well drawn and interesting. The historical setting among this short lived cult was also intriguing as well because I believe that if a novel or novella also makes you think of what you believe and why as well as entertains, it is a bonus to a well written story. In all honesty, this sweet and satisfying novella has been my favorite edition to the series so far.

The Innocent (Shaker, #6) by Ann H. Gabhart -Ann H. Gabhart 8-10-18
This is the sixth novel of Ann H. Gabhart's Shaker series, and I liked it just as much as I like the first five (and a half :)) books. As I expected, this novel was well written, and the characters were well drawn and interesting. I especially enjoyed Carlyn's spirited and headstrong debates with Sister Edna in this story. The historical setting among this short lived cult was also intriguing as well because I believe that if a novel also makes you think of what you believe and why as well as entertains, it is a bonus to a well written story.

Note: I actually read the large print edition of this novel, which I don't feel like adding to the database just now.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel With All My Heart Romance Collection Five Novellas of Living Love to the Fullest by Karen Witemeyer -Karen Witemeyer et al 8-11-18
I enjoyed reading this collection of novellas: Karen Witemeyer's "Love on the Mend" (Full Steam Ahead 1.5), Jody Hedlund's "Out of the Storm" (Beacons of Hope 0.5), Melissa Jagear's "Love by the Letter," Sarah Loudin Thomas' "Appalachian Serenade"(Appalachian Blessings .5), and Jen Turano's Gentleman of her Dreams. I requested this book from my library because three of this collection's novellas are connected to a book or series I like, and I am so glad I did. Normally, novellas, especially those that aren't connected to each other like the ones in this book, don't impress me too much, but I have to say I have been blessed with the novellas I've read this year because I have found so many truly well written and endearing novellas like the ones in this collection. Each of the authors did a good job at developing their characters and telling a good story in a short space, which is really hard to do and which I appreciate. Now, I have a new book on my favorites list and two new authors that I want to read more by.

Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4) by Jacqueline Winspear -Jacqueline Winspear 8-17-18
In this 4th installment of the Maisie Dobbs series, our investigator is consulted by Georgina Bassington-Hope concerning the death of her brother Nicholas because she doesn't believe that his death was an accident like the police have decided. As usual, Maisie figures out more surrounding Nicholas and the Bassington-Hopes than she was asked to mainly through some basic observations and interviews. Although some reviewers who know more about history than I do have found some minor errors which show that Winspear could have done some better research of her historical setting, I think that the way she has brought her characters and places to life far outweighs any slight inconsistencies between the real world and the world of Maisie Dobbs. In any case, I continue to find this series to be well written with interesting characters although I will agree with another reviewer who said that certain things about Georgina's character were a bit inconsistent. I will also say that I didn't like this novel of the series as well as I liked the first three, but overall, I call it a sold 4 star read, really good but not amazing, and I will continue to read the series.

An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs #5) by Jacqueline Winspear -Jacqueline Winspear 8-19-18
In this 5th installment of the Maisie Dobbs series, our investigator is consulted by the son of her former employers who wants to know more about the string of fires and petty crime in a village where he is planning to purchase property. As is usual for this series, I found the novel to be well written and interesting, but I also felt that this novel in particular brought some really rich characters to life that I'm sad will not reappear in later novels; moreover, the novel really shed light on an interesting people group's culture and touched on the racism against them, and this novel also dealt more directly with theme of classism than the series had before. In addition, this novel revealed a great deal more about Maisie herself. So, I really felt that this novel earned its 5 star rating, and I hope that as the series continues, I will find more and more 5 star novels.

Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6) by Jacqueline Winspear -Jacqueline Winspear 8-21-18
In this 6th installment of the Maisie Dobbs series, our investigator is conscripted to help a government/police task force catch a madman before he murders again mainly because the threatening letter had mentioned her by name. At the same time that Maisie and the other members of the task force (who are made to appear bumbling idiots in comparison) are racing the clock to prevent the actions of this terrorist from escalating to mass murder, Doreen, the wife of Maisie's assistant Billy Beale is admitted to an asylum due to her depression and suicidal thoughts following the death of her daughter the previous year. This well written novel does a good job of demonstrating the lack of proper support for war veterans, especially for those who were stricken by shell shock, and about the miserable conditions and torturous "treatments" of the majority of "insane" asylums in those days. In addition to its intriguing plot and thought-provoking themes, Winspear has once again delivered a novel full of interesting, well-rounded characters. This novel certainly earned its 5 stars.

The Dog Who Could Fly The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side by Damien Lewis -Damien Lewis 8-22-18
"[T]his is the true account of a German shepherd who was adopted by the Royal Air Force during World War II, joined in flight missions, and survived everything from crash-landings to parachute bailouts; ultimately saving the life of his owner and dearest friend," Robert Bzodech. I almost never read biographies, but if I do, this is the type of biography I like to read: well written and interesting with characters who live again on the page.

The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7) by Lilian Jackson Braun -Lilian Jackson Braun 8-24-18
I am definitely becoming more and more fond of "The Cat Who..." series as I get further into it. This is the 7th installment, and in it, the local newspaper editor dies suddenly, and Qwill isn't satisfied that his death was a natural one. As he learns more about the history of the newspaper and the family who founded it, his suspicions grow, but whether he is right or wrong, you'll have to read for yourself. In any case, once again, I found this to be a well written mystery novel with an entertaining plot and characters, and I suspect that this will become one of those series I will reread for a sense of comfort and nostalgia.

The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8) by Lilian Jackson Braun -Lilian Jackson Braun 8-25-18
I am definitely becoming more and more fond of "The Cat Who..." series as I get further into it. This is the 8th installment, and in it, the son and daughter-in-law of a local rich banker were found murdered in their home. "Who dun it," I'm not saying, but I was definitely intrigued by the plot twist at the end of this novel. In any case, once again, I found this to be a well written mystery novel with an entertaining plot and characters, and I suspect that this will become one of those series I will reread for a sense of comfort and nostalgia.

The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9) by Lilian Jackson Braun -Lilian Jackson Braun 8-26-18
I am definitely becoming more and more fond of "The Cat Who..." series as I get further into it. This is the 9th installment, and in it, Qwill and his cats return to his log cabin in Moose Creek for a vacation, but when Qwill's handyman goes missing and dead bodies start showing up, his vacation turns sour. So, once again, I found this to be a well written mystery novel with an entertaining plot and characters, and I suspect that this will become one of those series I will reread for a sense of comfort and nostalgia.

The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2) by Agatha Christie -Agatha Christie 8-28-18
I enjoyed this second Hercule Poirot mystery novel. So far, I have found Christie's mysteries to be well written with interesting characters and intriguing, complex plots. Although to be honest, I identify with Hastings, our narrator, who follows along with Poirot totally confused by the investigator's methods and irritated by his hubris. Regardless, even though I would never want a real life friend like Christie's Poirot or Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, I still find them decidedly interesting and entertaining to read about, and so, I will be reading more of the Hercule Poirot series.

Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie -Agatha Christie 8-31-18
I enjoyed this third installment of the Hercule Poirot mystery series. Rather than a novel, this installment is the first set of short stories featuring the detective. While I have found the mystery novels by Christie that I have read so far to be well written with interesting characters and intriguing, complex plots, these short stories out of necessity covered much simpler cases and were honestly not as interesting. However, finding Poirot to be an interesting character and Christie a good writer, I shall continue reading the series.

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Rachel wrote: "With All My Heart Romance Collection Five Novellas of Living Love to the Fullest by Karen Witemeyer-Karen Witemeyer et al 8-11-18
I enjoyed reading this collection of novellas: Karen Witemeyer's..."

I like Agatha Christie. I just finished one of her Miss Marple's 4:50 From Paddington. I always forget how good she is.