Start by marking “The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  892 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
An instant hit in the UK, this is the true account of a German shepherd who was adopted by the Royal Air Force during World War II, joined in flight missions, and survived everything from crash-landings to parachute bailouts; ultimately saving the life of his owner and dearest friend.

In the winter of 1939 in the cold snow of no-man's-land, two loners met and began an extra
Published June 10th 2014 by Atria Books (first published September 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Could Fly, please sign up.

Carolyn I think this book would be excellent for a child of this age. The book was primarily about the relationship between man and dog, but also described…moreI think this book would be excellent for a child of this age. The book was primarily about the relationship between man and dog, but also described the true story of what they experienced serving during WWII. It seemed to be a realistic portrayal of war, as it described losing close friends and suffering injuries in combat, but without graphic details. I would equate it to a movie rating of PG. It is not for very young children, but for 10-12 and up it should prove to be very interesting and educational.(less)
Junemarie Brandt Yes it is. The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew at His Side" is the same book as "War…moreYes it is. The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew at His Side" is the same book as "War Dog: The No-Man's Land Puppy Who Took to the Skies." Not to be confused with a book called "The Dog Who Could Fly" by Meghna Verma.(less)
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
913 books — 1,709 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsAnimal Farm by George OrwellBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
1,095 books — 1,467 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Animal lovers
Downloaded from Audible, narrated by Derek Perkins. A five-star performance! The narration improved on the story, I believe, which is saying something. His voice is easy on the ears and distinctly different for dog and man. Apparently, the book includes old photos, so I missed out on that, but I easily found several photos online.

This heartwarming and somewhat amazing biographical account is based on personal diaries, BBC footage and reports, and military documents.

The "story" begins in France
Donna
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was such an endearing story between a man and his dog. I am not a crier at all, but there were times where I felt my throat tighten and I had to blink back the tears. The bond that existed between the owner and his German Shepherd was so completely heart-warming.

This is a non-fiction book, mostly written by someone who doesn't write novels. So I think you need to keep that in mind as you read thru it. The writing was okay. But with that being said, it certainly was able to get the details
Jane Stewart
4 stars. Audiobook needs a pdf file for pictures.

Wow. Wonderful. Fantastic Story. True story about a dog and his loyalty and love with his owner.

I was so captivated. Could not stop reading. A pilot Robert was shot down by the Germans in 1939. There he met abandoned puppy Antis who would die if not rescued. Robert crawled for hours to safety with the puppy in his shirt. This is one of those truth is stranger than fiction stories. Amazing things happen. It’s nonfiction but embellished with assume
Paul Pessolano
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“The Dog Who Could Fly” by Damien Lewis, published by Atria Books.

Category – War/Dogs Publication Date – June 10, 2014

If you are looking for a book on the Second World War, if you are looking for a book on air combat, and if you are looking for a book that tells the story of an extraordinary dog, this is your book.

In 1929 Robert Bozdech and his pilot were shot down over German territory. They found refuge in a farm house and found a German shepherd puppy. A puppy they were going to leave behind
Allan
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a dog lover, I was always going to enjoy this book, written by Lewis but based on the unpublished memoir of Robert Bozdech, a Czech airman whose relationship with his dog, Antis, resulted in fame during WW2.

Describing the book without spoilers is impossible, but from Robert's unlikely discovery of Antis as a puppy, an unbreakable bond was forged between man and dog that is documented here. No doubt more than slightly embellished-Antis was a remarkably talented dog if the words contained withi
Elisabeth
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. The story at the core of this book is one that appealed to both my love of dogs and my interest in WWII history—the story of an abandoned German Shepherd puppy rescued by downed Czech airman Robert Bozdech, who became Bozdech's loyal sidekick and mascot of the RAF squadron his master joined, even flying with him on bombing raids over Germany. I have a German Shepherd myself, whose intelligence and devotion to her human family continue to amaze me, and many things about Antis' personal ...more
Heather
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely and utterly riveting!! This is an absolultely amazing book, made even more astounding by knowing this is based on a true story.

Robert, a Czech pilot, flying with French Airforce, is shot down in No Man's Land. While getting his French pilot to safety, he finds an abandoned puppy and feeds it, thus starting a bond that is to last years and surmount seemingly impossible odds. When they leave, the puppy comes too, stuffed in Robert's flying jacket.

Later, the dog flies with him on missio
Charlie
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I really like books that can keep my interest thru out the story. This is one of them.
First and foremost I received this Advanced uncorrected book from the publisher as a winner on Goodreads.com. AND now my review.

The title of the book - The Dog Who Could Fly - is exactly that- this incredible dog named Antis did fly many, many missions during WW11 with his BEST buddy - Robert Bozdech, a Czech airman flying with the RAF Bomber Command. However, not all the flights and land journeys were of the
Lori
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
An incredible story of the extreme dedication and loyalty of a German Shepherd for one man.
Skye
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog
A War Story, A Love Story Bound to be a New Bestseller

The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Footed Hero Who Flew at His Side, by Damien Lewis (Simon & Schuster, 2013, 288 pages, $26 - and worth every penny!)

Enthralling Read

By the co-author of Sergeant Rex, The Dog Who Could Fly only gets better and better as you find yourself reading faster and faster. You know the ending but you have to read the whole book to find out how it gets there.

Like a murder
Lori
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anyone who has had a beloved dog will love this novel... It's heartwarming and shows the amazing bond that can happen between a man and his dog! This would've been an easy 5 star except that I felt the middle dragged on a bit ... but still a sweet, sweet story!
Jami
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the story of Robert and Antis; their bond is amazing! I can't believe the situations they were able to escape from during wartime. This was an informative and interesting story that was also emotional and heartwarming!
Karen
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure--I'm a dog lover and I'm definitely a huge fan of this remarkable a dog! What an amazing, wonderful, feel good story!
Mandy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Loved it. Absolutely loved it :)
Kristin Ogburn
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story about an amazing dog! Hard to believe it is true!
Jarl Balgruuf
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're a dog lover, a history/WWII enthusiast, or both I believe you will enjoy this book. The interactions between Robert and Antis are often touching or hilarious. It's a well written book and does a great job of telling the story without getting too bogged down. Highly recommend.
Patricia
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Czech Airman Robert Bozdech was shot down during WW II behind enemy lines and rescued a German Shepherd puppy from a deserted farmhouse. The story of their escape to England and continued role in the war is incredible.

Food: Fish & chips.
Italy
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was interesting. I love learning about WWII, and this book was honest as well as sweet.
Nathaniel
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i liked it
Michael Scott
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kate Rupley
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story worth reading. Lots of tales in a timeline.
Rachel Green
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book - a truly remarkable story of the bond that existed between Robert Bozdech, an airman with Bomber Command & his dog Antis during World War Two.
Cyndi Thomas
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book
Vern
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story of an amazing relationship between a man (a flyer in the French Air Force at the time) and a dog he rescued from an abandoned farm house when the dog was about 4 weeks old, after the man was shot down over disputed French territory in early 1940. From the moment they found each other until the end of the war they literally saved each other's lives many times.

If you are a dog lover, this is a must read. Even if you are not a dog lover, you will probably find the book an interesting rea
Shane Fritz
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad that I read it, as I learned more about WWII as well as about this true story. I've never been real crazy about German Shepherds but this one was truly amazing.
Christine Nierenz
Loved this book! Such a sweet story!
Therese
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story on several levels. Using Robert Bozdech's own journals, Damien Lewis has brought him back to life, accompanied by his faithful dog Antis. The attachment between man and dog is instaneous and life-long. Bozdech was one of a number of Czech air-men who went to England to continue the fight against Hitler' Nazis who had over-run their native country. He was part of a Czech unit with the RAF's Bomber Command. Apart from the obvious human interest of Bozdech's love for Antis ...more
Bob Schmitz
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: history-wwii
The is the story of a young Czech air force gunner, Robert Bozdechr, who left his country with the German invasion and fought with the French. He was shot down over no man's land where he found a German shepherd puppy in an abandoned house. Unable to kill the dog whose bark would give him away he put the puppy who he named Antis in his jacket and with his wounded pilot made his way to the French lines. He fled France and made his way to England to fight a Czech squadron in the RAF.
The book was
Natalie L.
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like dogs and history this book is for you. Its an amazing true story of a pilot and the puppy he finds and raises.
Marvin Goodman
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
My tepid two star rating doesn't reflect my admiration for Airman Robert Bozdech (or his gallant Czech colleagues) and his magnificent dog Ant. Indeed, that I pressed on through a book that I wasn't particularly enjoying is a testament to how wonderful their shared story was, and my desire to hear it despite the problems I had with the telling of the story.
Had the book simply been a translated and edited up version of Bozdech's original manuscript, I'd have gladly overlooked the writing that gra
  • The Compassion of Animals: True Stories of Animal Courage and Kindness
  • Unlikely Heroes: 37 Inspiring Stories of Courage and Heart from the Animal Kingdom
  • Fighter Boys
  • Trusting Calvin: How a Dog Helped Heal a Holocaust Survivor's Heart
  • Churchill: Blood, Toil, Tears, and Sweat
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • Dunkirk: Fight To The Last Man
  • Haatchi & Little B: The Inspiring True Story of One Boy and His Dog
  • The Forgotten Highlander: My Incredible Story of Survival During the War in the Far East
  • Sgt. Reckless: America's War Horse
  • Top Dog: The Story of Marine Hero Lucca
  • Nella Last's Peace: The Post-War Diaries Of Housewife, 49
  • I Was A Doctor In Auschwitz
  • Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
  • The Road to Rescue: The Untold Story of Schindler's List
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • Andersonville Diary
  • The Arsenal of Democracy: FDR, Detroit, and an Epic Quest to Arm an America at War
Damien Lewis became an author largely by accident, when a British publisher asked him if he'd be willing to turn a TV documentary he was working on into a book. That film was shot in the Sudan war zone, and told the story of how Arab tribes seized black African slaves in horrific slave raids. Lewis had been to the Sudan war zone dozens of times over the past decade, reporting on that conflict for ...more
More about Damien Lewis...