What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Winner's Curse
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. A girl becomes the Moth, a spy for a conquered country and a traitor to her own. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karoliina | 2 comments A fantasy or YA book I read four or five years ago. SPOILERS! In the beginning the girl lives in the oppressed country (an island?) with her father. They are the conquerors. She falls for a slave, one of the natives, but is forced to leave the country after rebels stage a coup. In her own country she becomes a spy called the Moth to help the oppressed, and so becomes a traitor to her own people. However, her own father reports her and she is sent to prison.

I don't remember whether this is one book or a series, but would appreciate any suggestions you have! I've been trying to find it for a while.

message 2: by Mai (last edited Aug 02, 2018 11:38AM) (new)

Mai | 1151 comments This book came up in a Google search of "young adult" "the moth" "spy" "traitor":
The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski (first in The Winner's Trilogy)
As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.
One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.
But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.
Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

Karoliina | 2 comments This is the one, thank you! I tried searching it as well, but clearly not well enough.