I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (August 2018)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 575 comments Mod
What have you been reading lately? Have you found any gems that you'd recommend? Anything you'd tell people to avoid?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 46 comments I'm reading Kingdom Come, by Mark Waid and Alex Ross. This book comes super highly recommended. I guess I'm becoming a curmudgeon, because I'm not lovin' this either (see my comments regarding My Hero Academia, Vol. 1).

The story in Kingdom Come feels like it's being narrated to people who are expected to already know the story. I was so lost on the plot about halfway through that I had to look up the plot summary on Wikipedia just to understand what's going on.

Then there is Ross's art. He is a fantastic painter. I love his covers and other stand-alone images - so long as they are just every once-in-a-while. But, I don't think he is suited for interior sequential art. There is no motion or action in his art. Every panel looks like a posed snapshot. The whole book feels lifeless.

Not finished yet, so I'm hoping the payoff is worth it.

On a happier note, I have been LOVING Batman, including Batman (2016-) #50 with it's great conclusion to the wedding arc.
And, Mister Miracle (2017-) #10 came out today. Tom King can do no wrong!

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments I remember Kingdom Come was quite the event when it came out, but I was also unimpressed when I finally read it.

Currently reading Batman & Robin: Batman vs. Robin

message 4: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Kingdom Come was amazing Loved that.

First comic shop run of the month:

Ant-Man and the Wasp 4- the duo tries to get home and it doesn't quite work the way they wanted.
X-Men Gold Annual 2- a flashback adventure as Kitty goes to summer camp.
X-Men Gold 33- Storm has unfinished business back in Africa, and the Kitty/Peter split isn't the only one on the team now.
Star Wars 52- clash of the pilots as Darth Vader goes after Han Solo
Red Sonja 19- Sonja's companions get her in more and more trouble.
Nightwing 47- more of the weird cyber criminal attack on Bludhaven, guest starring Batgirl
Green Arrow 43- A new vigilante emerges in Star City.
Justice League 5- Lex's team's origin. This is a nasty group going after the League.
Weapon X 21- more combat as the team splits and fights the Winter Guard in the depths of Russia

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments God Complex, Vol. 1: Dogma - This book left me with some mixed feelings, I like the the Wordl building and set up, but I am still not very sure if the plot moved forward enough to keep reading. I'll probably wait for Vol 2 to hit the library before i comit more to this book.

Jughead: The Hunger, Vol. 1 - This Book Is AMAZING.

I Kill Giants - re read this for out Local Comic Store Book club, this book gets me everytime

message 6: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic run:

Xena 7- Xena and Gabby must protect a girl with visions from a jealous oracle
Titans 24- the team finds a strange manifestation of the new energies flooding Earth
Suicide Squad 45- the Squad has to deal with the events of Atlantis rising
Quicksilver: No Surrender 4- the mutant speedster tries to figure out the secret behind the strange beings he's been fighting
Plastic Man 3- Gail Simone's take on the stretchable hero continues as he fights a strange new group
Domino 5- The lucky girl fights along side her new teacher, Shang Chi
Champions 23- things get weird when Man-Thing shows up
Hawkman 3- the mystery of his past continues
Fantastic Four 1- is the first family of Marvel finally back? Not quite...
Sandman Universe 1- revisit some old favorite characters as Neil Gaiman and company line up some new magic in the dark corners of the DC Vertigo Universe

message 7: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 617 comments Mod
I Read The Last Padawan in prep for a minisode coming very soon :D

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Mike wrote: "I Read The Last Padawan in prep for a minisode coming very soon :D"

Ohhh Mike I really enjoyed this book , both Volumes. I read this while waiting for the last season of Rebels to come out last year.
I really liked how i got more background on the story of Kanan.
I am looking forward to that episode, cuz anything Star Wars heck yea

message 9: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Light run this week.

Iron Man 3- really cool issue about Tony's newest business and an old friend turned foe
Thor 4- the war in Hel finds an ending with an unexpected marriage
Aquaman 39- The risen Atlantis has to deal with the Suicide Squad
Justice League 6- things are not looking great for the heroes as Luthor's team unleashes more surprises.
Weapon X-- no clue, they sold out before I got there.

message 10: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments I just finished Justice League 6 by Snyder and my head exploded

message 11: by Will (new)

Will Robinson Jr. | 13 comments Comic books I just bought:
Justice League #6
Flash #51

Graphic novels or collections I am currently reading:
Superman Blue, Volume 1
Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars
Nightwing, Vol. 5: Raptor's Revenge
Green Lanterns Vol. 6: A World of Our Own

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments The last week up to now I have read

Barefoot Gen, Volume One: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima - we read this for our Comic book club, and boy this book was depressing. It is definitely an interesting look at Japan during WW2 but it isn't something like what i usually read. that being said i recommend checking it out.

Wonder Woman/Conan - This was a fun story.
Written by Gail Simone so I definitely needed to check it out.

Superman for All Seasons - I read this on a whim. I saw it on hoopla and checked it out. I really enjoyed. a good look at Superman's Character. Tim Sale's Superman design is actually pretty endearing.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 41 comments Daniel wrote: "God Complex, Vol. 1: Dogma - This book left me with some mixed feelings, I like the the Wordl building and set up, but I am still not very sure if the plot moved forward enough to k..."

I just finished the Chip Zdarsky/Erica Henderson/Ryan North/Derek Charm & co run (volumes 1 through 3) and it was SO MUCH FUN. Jughead: The Hunger definitely sounds interesting and may get added to my TBR list. :) I'm still wanting to read the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible.... Hmmm this may have to be an october challenge, because why not? :)

I've been reading Love Letters to Jane's World since netgalley had it available to download, and I'm really enjoying it! The characters are relatable and Jane is a mess, but who of us isn't.... I may end up buying this book in physical form.

message 14: by Francis (new)

Francis | 124 comments I'm working my way through Volume 1 to 7 of Giant Days after hearing it recommended on one of the recent IRCB's podcasts (sorry I can't remember who's recommendation it was), and got them all in a sale. Volume one was a nice introduction to the characters and setting, and it is really relatable to my own experiences of Uni.

I read Catwoman #2 and Domino #5, and love them both. Great fun big two anti hero superheroics.

Then I also read Animosity for the IRDC book of the month (it's awesome), also read Buzz and Books of Magic for the IRCB reading challenge.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 41 comments Francis wrote: "I'm working my way through Volume 1 to 7 of Giant Days after hearing it recommended on one of the recent IRCB's podcasts (sorry I can't remember who's recommendation it was), and got them all in a ..."
I ♥ GIANT DAYS!!! I hope you enjoy! it's definitely one of my favorite ongoing series, and when I get new issues of comics from my pull box at my fave comic store...Giant Days is always the first!

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments So I finally had some time to sit down and read some comics. Among others, I have read:

Unity, Volume 3: Armor Hunters - a tie in to one of Valiant's summer event books. Having read the event book, I liked this one.
Animosity, Vol. 1: The Wake - unlike a lot of others in the group, I just did not enjoy this book. It hit me with too much negativity up front and the redeeming aspects didn't make up for that.
My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 - probably the best manga I've read so far. The art isn't quite as stylized as other series' that I've tried to read and the story interested me a bit more.
We Stand On Guard - Maybe I'm just a sucker for Brian K. Vaughn books. Brutal at times.
BUZZ! - loads of fun.
Lady Mechanika, Vol. 4: Clockwork Assassin - I've enjoyed most of this series so far. I felt like there were some issues with the art in regards to women and the main character specifically early on. Not much of that this time around as far as I recall. Steampunk England is always a fun trip.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick | 39 comments Phillip wrote: "So I finally had some time to sit down and read some comics. Among others, I have read:

Unity, Volume 3: Armor Hunters - a tie in to one of Valiant's summer event books. Having rea..."

Oh man, I really loved Armor Hunters, that was probably the very first Valiant event I read! It really gave me a feel for the "quality control" that Valiant brings to the conventional summer blockbuster event/crossover: limited tie-ins, books that can largely stand on their own, but still are organically woven into a larger landscape. Have you read the Armor Hunters: Bloodshot tie-in? Trevor Hairsine does some killer artwork, a few years before he'd get broader recognition for Divinity.

Also, in regards to We Stand on Guard, "brutal at times" is a bit of an understatement, lol. I mean, there were times I had to take a breather from that book. Absolutely unrelenting in its depiction of the uglier sides of war.

message 18: by Francis (last edited Aug 26, 2018 02:58AM) (new)

Francis | 124 comments Hi Stephanie, yes I’m loving Giant Days very much, especially as I read the part set in Northampton during the holiday break, I had a friend who actually studied at Northampton University, so The book has really connected with me on a personal level.

Philip, I can relate to your views on Animosity Vol. 1, I also had quite strong reservations about where the early parts of the book where leading, I was worried it would become a propaganda piece for vegetarianism, and not maintain a good narrative. For me though I felt the later part of the story cleverly balanced those issues by looking at the problems a philosophy of vegetarianism would have on all the animals in this new world, and hinted that future volumes will deal with it further.

Edit: just as I was typing this message I was listening to the IRCB Podcast Episode 170, and Kara mentioned Giant Days vol. 8, and how she had spoke about the book previously, as I said in a previous post I could not remember who I heard recommending it, so thank you Kara for bringing this wonderful book to my attention, it’s such a breath of fresh air, and has really helped me through a tough couple of weeks personally.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Nick wrote: "Oh man, I really loved Armor Hunters, that was probably the very first Valiant event I read! It really gave me a feel for the "quality control" that Valiant brings to the conventional summer blockbuster event/crossover: limited tie-ins, books that can largely stand on their own, but still are organically woven into a larger landscape. Have you read the Armor Hunters: Bloodshot tie-in? Trevor Hairsine does some killer artwork, a few years before he'd get broader recognition for Divinity."

I haven't read the Bloodshot tie-in yet, but I am excited for it. The Armor Hunters event was excellent. The other event tie-in books that I've read from Valiant have all been fun to read.

message 20: by KaitLphere (new)

KaitLphere | 187 comments Mod
Wayland wrote: "This week's comic run: Xena 7- Xena and Gabby must protect a girl with visions from a jealous oracle"

I grabbed the first issue of this and wasn't impressed by it. Every time you post about it, I think I should give it another shot! I'll keep an eye out for a trade at the library at least!

Will wrote: "Graphic novels or collections I am currently reading: Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars"

How are you liking Descender? I loved it and I need to read volume 3!

Stephanie wrote: "I ♥ GIANT DAYS!!! I hope you enjoy! it's definitely one of my favorite ongoing series, and when I get new issues of comics from my pull box at my fave comic store...Giant Days is always the first! "

Kara, Brian, and I all love this book! I think we finally convinced Paul to give it a shot!

Phillip wrote: "Lady Mechanika, Vol. 4: Clockwork Assassin - I've enjoyed most of this series so far. I felt like there were some issues with the art in regards to women and the main character specifically early on. Not much of that this time around as far as I recall. Steampunk England is always a fun trip. "

I agree with all of this. I loved her outfit in the double first issue a few years back, so I grabbed it on a whim. I've considering dropping it a few times due to the infrequency of the the issues and the occasionally sexist art. However, I also think Benitez has gotten better (on interior art at least). I'm very glad I didn't drop the series, though. I have really enjoyed the new characters and Lady M's relationships with them.

message 21: by KaitLphere (new)

KaitLphere | 187 comments Mod
I finally read Grass Kings, Vol. 1 so I could listen to Nick and Mike's minisode without spoilers. I loved the art and the "flashbacks" to the history of the area. It's more aggressive then I usually want in my fiction, but the story and variety of characters is very good. I'll likely grab volume 2 at some point.

I read The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1 through volume 3. I had to request the last two through the state-wide system. It's a manga about opposites and friendship, basically. A human girl and her "cursed monster" friend are on "the wrong side" of the wall that keeps humans safe from "the curse," so her friend is afraid to touch her in any way. Volume 1 was precious and sad. Volume 2 gets more into the mythology of the universe. Volume 3 is more about the way the world works socially. I haven't been able to request volume 4 yet...I might just buy the whole series.

I read New Mutants: Dead Souls #1 through issue 3. I am unfamiliar with this team or these characters, but I'm enjoying them so far. I like how each issue has been a separate adventure, but there's clearly an overarching story in there somewhere.

I also read Rat Queens, Vol. 5: The Colossal Magic Nothing. This was better than I expected after the recent mess with...everything Rat Queens. It was a wild ride with different art styles popping up here and there. There was some complicated twists near the end that I think I need to binge-read the series to fully follow. Owen Gieni's artwork really complements this story. I'm glad the series found a good fit.

message 22: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments The Xena book seems to have the characters right to me, granting that it's been however many years since it went off the air.

The New Mutants book is pretty good, although this grouping was never really a team. Rhane was an original member, Magik came later, and Strong Guy was never on that team at all as far as I remember. I think Rictor came along in X-Force, not New Mutants, but I'm going off memory and might be wrong.

message 23: by Chad (new)

Chad | 695 comments Wayland wrote: "The New Mutants book is pretty good, although this grouping was never really a team. Rhane was an original member, Magik came later, and Strong Guy was never on that team at all as far as I remember. I think Rictor came along in X-Force, not New Mutants, but I'm going off memory and might be wrong.
"

Strong Guy (Guido) was Lila Cheney's bouncer and may have appeared briefly in the issues where Sam dated her, but he's only been a member of X-Factor. Rictor was in the tail end of New Mutants. He showed up around the time Liefeld started drawing the book, issue #87 or so of the original run.

message 24: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Technically Sept, but I don't see a new thread, so....

this week's comic shop run, doubled up because I was at DragonCon last week (with comic book notables Gail Simone, George Perez, and Tad Stones among others):

X-Men Gold 35- Storm deals with troubles in her home village and loses a powerful ally
Star Wars 53- dog fight among the fleet as Han and Luke fight huge odds and Leia goes on a desperate mission to the Executor
Quicksilver No Surrender 5- the Avengers' speedster comes to the end of his miniseries and defeats a dark foe
Nightwing Annual 1- he fights a computer foe with Batgirl's help and possibly a new base of operations
Nightwing 48- following up the annual, 'Wing is in an amazingly high stakes motorcycle race
Green Arrow 44- GA fights the "Citizen" and his Court of Public Opinion
Avengers 7- the first Ghost Rider gets his story told
Ant-Man and the Wasp 5- Scott and Nadia's weird adventure comes to an end
Red Sonja 20- who had Red's sword before she did?
Ms. Marvel 33- Ms M has some serious problems with her powers and the Shocker
Moon Knight 198- the Knight joins a club of sadists... fitting somehow
New Mutants Dead Souls 6- this is NOT an ending and it damn well better get continued somewhere...
Justice League 7- the heroes face off against the Legion of Doom with the Earth.. and more... at stake
Weapon X- 23- the team clashes with Deadpool and Generation X's heavy hitter M.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.