Start by marking “Rat Queens, Vol. 5: The Colossal Magic Nothing (Rat Queens, #5)” as Want to Read:
Rat Queens, Vol. 5: The Colossal Magic Nothing (Rat Queens, #5)

Rat Queens, Vol. 5: The Colossal Magic Nothing

(Rat Queens #5)

Palisade has a new resident: a strange wizard who wants to end the suffering of others. As the Queens disappear one by one, Betty uncovers a terrifying truth that finally reveals the events following Hannah’s imprisonment in a magical void. Collects RAT QUEENS, VOL. 2 #6-10 and RAT QUEENS: ORC DAVE SPECIAL #1
Published August 14th 2018 by Image Comics (first published August 8th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Rat Queens, Vol. 5, please sign up.
A.P. Hawkins Yep1 Rat Queens Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery

Sean Gibson
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Has anyone ever asked you to calculate the square root of 743 in your head? If so, then the look on your face at that moment is an accurate reflection of the look on mine when I read this (though to be fair, I get the same look when someone asks me what I had for breakfast this morning or what my name is…my brain really doesn’t work these days).

While the Queens themselves are as fun as ever and Gieni’s art is beautiful, I was utterly perplexed by the storyline in this collection (both in terms
Sam Quixote
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some evil mage is erasing people from existence for some reason. Also: how orcs procreate!

Hmm. So it’s been a couple years (or a billion quadrillion years in internet time!%^8!) since I last read Rat Queens and unfortunately it’s not improved. The subtitle is quite apt - this book is one big.... magic! I mean nothing! I do mean nothing, don’t I… (harps)...

Huh? Oh yeah. This thing. Sigh… the Orc Dave Special was really tedious especially if you don’t give a crap about the character like me. Get
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Personal rating: 2.75
I really enjoyed the first half but the second half was a clusterfuck.. the story tried to reconnect and salvage what happened in volume 3 but I found it to be unsuccessful. Not only did this force the plot to have to jump into weird time paradoxes but the art also kept changing. It’d go from normal, to trippy cartoon, to 80’s He-Man. It made me feel very detached.

The only way that I feel this graphic novel series can be successful is if it just went back to the good ol’ day
Dimitris
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Yeah.. I do need more of this.

And the sad thing is, I DO need the artwork to be the RAT QUEENS artwork. I can't get used to any other artwork than the one that the series started with and that sucks.

Bonnie McDaniel
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I really enjoyed Rat Queens Volumes 1 & 2. With volume 3, "Demons," the series unfortunately took a hard and fast turn for the worse. The Mage University storyline ended on a cliffhanger, with Hannah in a "void prison" and the Queens broken up. Volume 4 disregarded all of this in favor of a soft reboot that restarted the storyline and characters. Yet Kurtis J. Wiebe kept insisting the events in "Demons" were still canon, and promised to address them.

Now he ha
Devann
I hate to give this such a low rating but this is honestly a mess. I feel like the series just hasn't been as good since the hiatus and at this point I don't even really know what's supposed to be going on. There's a super complicated plot with what I would kind of call time-travel but is mostly different potential timelines I guess. It seems like every scene is getting re-written immediately after it happens and that is honestly my least favorite kind of story. Also there's some weird one page ...more
Melissa
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I’m still having a hard time with these newer incarnations as they try to reconcile the old storyline with new one. It still feels a bit disjointed to me, but even really contorted storyline Rat Queens is still Rat Queens.
Theresa
The first two stories weren’t bad (I love Orc Dave and Betty), but the last storyline that finished the volume with Hannah in banishment bounced around a lot and had very inconsistent artwork. It was too trippy, I’d prefer a smoother storyline. However, the cliffhanger ending will make me pick up the next volume...
Adam M
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hoopla-app
This series has gotten progressively worse as a title for me personally. It looks like there are some folks out there still enjoying it, but not as many as those who also share my opinion. Just look at the progression of the cover art for these volumes and you can see the slid into obscurity happen.

These are the frustrated ramblings of someone who wholly bought in with volumes 1 and 2 and couldn't wait to see what was going to happen with this awesome, offbeat cast of characters. Then, "After a
H. P.
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern-sf
*Sigh* This graphic novel is a hot mess.

The first issue focuses on Orc Dave. It is interesting and good worldbuilding, but it is also repetitive and tangential. Why include a flashback at what will be the beginning of a bound volume if it is only relevant to the rest of the volume in the tiniest way? Why not save it until you are actually going to tie it to the main storyline?

But, to be honest, I would rather have read more about Orc Dave than the rest of the issues in this volume.

The next issue
Zedsdead
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
What a wreck.

Something is erasing characters from existence, Dee uses her Cthulhu deity to go back in time, and the newly freed Cthulhu deity is wreaking havoc across the multiverse. So the reader is left with multiple alternate realities and chronologies that are indistinguishable from one another or partially superimposed on one another, or maybe they were just tossed together in a wok and served randomly into the pages of volume 5. It's as unnecessarily confusing as the 17th season of LOST.

M
Jessica
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novel
This was awful. Super confusing time-travel plot and disjointed in art style too. I think I’m done with this series.
Lauren Stoolfire
Unfortunately this newest installment Rat Queens is my least favorite of the series so far. I don't know about you, but I was so confused for at least half of it and I didn't care for the art as much overall. Though I have to admit I did appreciate the changes in the art for the trippy scene to rescue Jason and for the flashback.
Lindsay
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish this series could go back to being as strong as the first two TPs. I liked it well enough when I understood what was going on (the trippy sequences towards the beginning were fabulous!), but it got twisty enough that I lost interest. Gotta say...I'm losing my interest in the Queens, which makes me very, very sad.
Caitlin
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book made me sad. It's doing something, which I guess is clever? It doesn't feel clever, though, just confusing. It's a muddle of a build up to a new conflict, with a bit of background about Orc Dave tossed in.
Brianna | RainyDaysAndStormyNights
2.5

...what just happened?
Jenn
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novels
*Sigh* This series has really been up and down. Unfortunately, this volume was another example of “down” for me. Volume four was a reboot of the series, and I really enjoyed it, but the creators insisted on revisiting events from volume three in volume five. This resulted in another incredibly disjointed storyline with terrible pacing and hit and miss art.

I really think Wiebe was trying to do something really interesting with the plot, but he wasn’t able to deliver. I saw glimpses of something
Jakub Kvíz
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Rat Queens dostali posledni sanci a prezily!

Paty book zacina one-shotem, kterej prinasi origin Orc Davea a ten se fakt povedl. Paradni kresba a super pribeh.

Druhej story arc restartovany serie zacina slusne a serviruje RQ tak, jak je znamen z prvnich dvou booku. Kresba bohuzel porad pokulhava, ale da se na to zvyknout a neni to takova tragedie jako predchozi book. Nicmene s odchodem Upchurche, potazmo Sejice se z RQ vytratil veskerej sex appeal, coz je zrovna u tyhle serie skoda.

V druhy casti bo
Misty
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I... honestly don't know. I'm going to reread this one. And maybe volume 4. And maybe the whole series, and see if it's actually coming together, or if we're all just being bamboozled.
Leaving it a middle of the road 3 for now, which may go up or down on further consideration/reread.

(But dammit, I do love the Queens!)
Travis Duke
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
low point in the series for sure. Time travel magic BS that IMO should of not made it into Rat Queens. I think they have established great characters and large stories I enjoy but maybe this should be the end? The first half of the book was good especially the orc stuff I liked but once that wizard showed up and the story got really confusing. Granted by the end it makes sense but I just didnt get into the story .
Shannon
Aug 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: graphic-novels, image
Individual issue reviews: #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | Orc Dave Special #1

Current review score: x
Pop Bop
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Are the Queens Coming Back?

I really enjoyed the very first Rat Queen issues, and the entire Volume One of their collected adventures. Funny, smart, snarky, sassy and witty stuff. But then the Queens, at least to my mind, got awfully soapy and angsty, and the drawing got muddy and inconsistent. Not only didn't you know what the ladies would look like from issue to issue, sometimes they were hard to recognize from panel to panel. We then had a lot of controversy when cliffhangers were left hanging
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Orc Dave Special. This focus on Orc Dave's backstory is a bit dull, as Dave and Dad wander amidst the trees, and we only get a few pages of the Rat Queens. But then it knocks it out of the park with a surprising and meaningful ending [3+/5].

The Colossal Magic Nothing (#6-10). I have no idea what was up with this story. Maybe part of the problem is that the collection doesn't divide the issue up, so it's just a big mushed-up mess. Or maybe Wiebe just doesn't know how to tell a complex story. This
Danica Midlil
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am so confused!
All of the many different illustrators are making understanding the already CRAZY jumps in the timeline just incomprehensible. I can get behind having distinct styles to show a before and after or separate stories via flashback, but this series is driving me crazy.
Love the Rat Queens and I'm bummed that they are getting so mucked up.
Suzanne Berget
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Eeehm, I have no idea what's going on on this book. Think I need to re-read vol 4 and 5 to make some sense of it. At least Orc Dave is hot...
Samuel
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
And all of the sudden, the weird reboot/left turn/entire plot left hanging in the air makes sense. It's complicated, and I probably need to read it again, but this has gotten ~really~ interesting.
Stephanie
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was super confused and disappointed.
Heather Codename: ♕Dutchess♕
What the shit is going on with Hannah?
Jen
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
If this volume was full of Orc Dave special issues, this would be a 5-star rating. Alas....

I do love me some Rat Queens, but things are going a tad downhill.
  • Princeless, Vol. 6: Make Yourself Part 2
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 4
  • Witch Doctor, Volume 2: Mal Practice
  • Tales of a Warlock (Courtney Crumrin, #7)
  • Low, Vol. 2: Before the Dawn Burns Us
  • I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 3: Good Girl
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Spread of Their Evil (Season 11, Volume 1)
  • Oglaf Book One
  • Atomic Robo: The Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven (Monstress, #3)
  • Escape from Wonderland
  • Fluff Dragon (Bad Unicorn, #2)
  • Ministry of Pandemonium
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour
  • Red Sonja, Vol. 1: Queen of Plagues
Kurtis Wiebe is a Vancouver, Canada based author who’s been established in the world of comic writing since 2009. For his contribution to the critically acclaimed Green Wake, Kurtis was presented with the Outstanding Comic Book Writer Shuster Award.

Never satisfied with a specific style of writing, Kurtis has branched out to novels, videogames and screenplays. He spends his days at home, writing ab

Rat Queens (6 books)
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth (Rat Queens, #2)
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 3: Demons (Rat Queens, #3)
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 4: High Fantasies (Rat Queens, #4)
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 6: The Infernal Path