What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Two for Survival
This topic is about Two for Survival
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Survival fiction about plane crash in mountains. Multiple survivors. Read book as a kid at least 35 years ago. Possible yellow cover with the word survive or something similar. Comments contain some info about story line. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments Unfortunately, I remember little about this book. Read it as kid and would like my kids to read it. Survivors of plane crash in mountains try to survive and hike out/get rescued. I remember they find a cabin. I believe it was cold. The only specific parts I remember are a guy has a gun and doesn't want the others to know he has no bullets. A deer is visible through the window and the guy makes lots of noise on way to window to purposely scare deer away. The survivors inventory food and find a container of gumballs or hard candy. One person has a sandwich and secretly shoves whole sandwich in mouth rather than share. I know its not much to go on, any clues would be appreciated. I will update if I remember anything else.

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments I read this book too. The sandwich part sticks in your head. I think that s/he choked or something on it, and spit it out and then shoved it back in their mouth. I'll try to come up with the title, but I may be in the same boat as you

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments I looked through this list on Library Thing https://www.librarything.com/list/561... and I found one that maybe fit, but I couldn't say if it's the right book or not. The description is rather sparse.

Mayday! Mayday!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16897 comments I'm almost positive there's no snow, gun, or bullets in Mayday, Mayday.

Mike, were the survivors kids, teens, or adults? Do you remember how many there were?

The Village that Slept and To The Wild Sky both have kids surviving plane crashes.

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Aug 02, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1874 comments Are you sure it was fiction? There were a few books at that time about the crash of Flight 571 in the Andes, one of them titled Survive!.

Your details aren't familiar to me, but I didn't actually ever read Survive! (I did read Alive: the story of the Andes survivors, which was the official version of the story).

From the reviews, however, no one would ever mistake Survive! for fiction, and Alive: the story of the Andes survivors was clearly non-fiction (containing actual photographs of the crash site, etc.).

message 6: by Adele (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:23PM) (new) - added it

Adele | 1208 comments I believe this is Two for Survival Two for Survival by Arthur J. Roth

The book is available to read in its entirety online at openlibrary.org. I searched and verified the eating the whole sandwich to avoid sharing it scene is there. I didn't find the specific scene about the deer in the window, but I did find a scene where a girl comments on how "It all makes sense now" why "he" never got anything hunting and didn't want anyone else to use the gun because it had no bullets.

message 7: by bookel (last edited Aug 03, 2018 02:55AM) (new)

bookel | 2105 comments Thanks for linking the Librarything list. It is as Adele stated. The below snippets from Google Books.

Two for survival by Arthur J. Roth.

"It too was empty, the cop at the back of the plane having taken the precaution to remove all the bullets from the weapon before handing it to the stewardess."

"Two pounds of hard candy balls."

"..."Hey man, I sure hope somebody's at home," John said. The boys cut downhill, worked their way through a belt of trees on a ridge top, then dropped down another hillside and crossed the flat ground toward the cabin. ..."

"...There's deer outside, a whole bunch of them."
"Deer? ...
"Ssssh, quiet, don't scare them," Mr. Lusty warned.
"Deer?" Desmond repeated, sitting up. "Deer in the clearing?"
Before anyone could ..."

"He didn't think twice but quickly unwrapped the egg sandwich and crammed one half into his mouth. He put the other sandwich in his pocket."

message 8: by Mike (last edited Aug 07, 2018 08:30PM) (new)

Mike | 2 comments SOLVED. Wow! It was Two for survival! I have been trying to come up with this for years. Thank you so much Adele, I can't believe you were able to find this with the little information I could remember. Thank you to everyone who commented and to bookel for confirming. I will read this again and then pass it to my kids.

message 9: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1208 comments Happy to help. You remembered some great details. I'm glad it was the right book.