What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Long and Faraway Gone
This topic is about The Long and Faraway Gone
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction, male protagonist, sub-plot about working in a movie theater as a teenager (with other teens), remembering a trauma that happened. Minor Spoilers below. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie | 5 comments This is a modern-ish book, probably published within the last 10 years. I don't remember the title, the author, or most of the plot. I do remember one sub-plot about when the male protagonist (now older) was a teenager, and worked in a movie theater (maybe in the 1980s?). He suffered a trauma when he and his other coworkers (also teenagers) were the victims of a robbery (?). The robbers took all the employees up to the projection booth, made them lie on the floor, and shot them all except for the protagonist. He's got some PTSD and survivor's guilt about this. Also, this sub-plot is not told chronologically, or all at once. It's told in bits and pieces, all out of order.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Mai (new) - added it

Mai | 1215 comments Maybe The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney? It came up in a quick search...
"Smart, fiercely compassionate crime story that explores the mysteries of memory and the impact of violence on survivors—and the lengths they will go to find the painful truth of the events that scarred their lives
In the summer of 1986, two tragedies rocked Oklahoma City. Six movie-theater employees were killed in an armed robbery, while one inexplicably survived. Then, a teenage girl vanished from the annual State Fair. Neither crime was ever solved.
Twenty-five years later, the reverberations of those unsolved cases quietly echo through survivors’ lives. A private investigator in Vegas, Wyatt’s latest inquiry takes him back to a past he’s tried to escape—and drags him deeper into the harrowing mystery of the movie house robbery that left six of his friends dead. "

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie | 5 comments Thank you! I think that must be it.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34412 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney - Mai's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=ze5...

Should we mark your request as Solved or Possibly Solved?

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie | 5 comments I'd say it's solved.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34412 comments Mod
Great. Thanks for the confirmation, Annie.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Long and Faraway Gone (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lou Berney (other topics)