Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2295 comments Mod
Wednesday, August 1: I'm seeing "back-to-school" sales everywhere. What was (is) your favorite thing about going back to school?

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

For me it was the new supplies ... especially all my new books, and helping my dad (okay, I mostly watched) make book covers for all of them.

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 744 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, August 1: I'm seeing "back-to-school" sales everywhere. What was (is) your favorite thing about going back to school?"

The new supplies. I loved picking out a new Trapper Keeper and folders.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 793 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, August 1: I'm seeing "back-to-school" sales everywhere. What was (is) your favorite thing about going back to school?"

Seeing all my friends again.

message 5: by Leah (new)

Thursday, August 2: What job do you think you’d be really good at?

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Thursday, August 2: What job do you think you’d be really good at?"

Reference librarian! I love looking things up and helping people find what they are looking for.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 370 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, August 1: I'm seeing "back-to-school" sales everywhere. What was (is) your favorite thing about going back to school?"

New clothes and supplies.

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 370 comments Leah wrote: "Thursday, August 2: What job do you think you’d be really good at?"

Book store owner. I love books and read many different genres.

message 9: by Melissa (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:43AM) (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 793 comments Leah wrote: "Thursday, August 2: What job do you think you’d be really good at?"

Used bookstore/coffee shop owner. I'm very familiar with both.

message 10: by Leah (new)

Friday, August 3: Where do you prefer to buy your books from?

message 11: by Book Concierge (last edited Aug 03, 2018 06:34PM) (new)

Leah wrote: " Friday, August 3: Where do you prefer to buy your books from?"

I've kinda stopped buying books but the few I do buy I get at my local independent book store.

message 12: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Leah wrote: " Friday, August 3: Where do you prefer to buy your books from?"

Barnes and Noble brick and mortar store but we are 60 miles from it so I have to satisfy my book fetish with on line and Amazon. I also get a lot from garage sales and used book sales.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 793 comments Leah wrote: " Friday, August 3: Where do you prefer to buy your books from?"

Some of them I get from Amazon, but my favorite place to get them is Better World Books website. Most books are less then $4-5 and shipping is always free. Plus, for every book purchased one is donated to someone in need. They do a lot of other great stuff as well.

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 370 comments Leah wrote: " Friday, August 3: Where do you prefer to buy your books from?"

Wherever I see them. Sometimes it's from Barnes and Noble, sometimes Amazon, sometimes a friend's used book store, sometimes a tourist site. If I see it I like to buy it because when I want it I won't be able to find it.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Monday, Aug 6: Do you vote regularly .... every election or just presidential?

I vote in every single election that comes up. School board, village trustee, state assembly, governor, president. If it's up for a vote, I exercise my right to do so.

message 16: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 370 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, Aug 6: Do you vote regularly .... every election or just presidential?

I vote in every election. I've only missed 2 in 43 years.

message 17: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, Aug 6: Do you vote regularly .... every election or just presidential?

I vote regularly. I miss some of them - such as the last one, I forgot to mail them in. Oops.

message 18: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, Aug 6: Do you vote regularly .... every election or just presidential?

I vote in every single election that comes up. School board, village trustee, state assembly, governor, president. I..."

I've never missed a presidential election since I voted the first time at 18 for Jimmy Carter. I may have missed a few if it something like I didn't care about like school board but otherwise I usually do it.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Thursday, Aug 9: What's your favorite "sweet treat"?

Chocolate candy (though Chocolate ice cream is a close second). I limit myself to one piece per day.

message 20: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 370 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, Aug 9: What's your favorite "sweet treat"?

What isn't my favorite? Chocolate tops the list. It can be candy, cake, cookies, ice cream, cheesecake. Peach pie and egg custard pie also come close.

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Oooh, I like your attitude towards sweets, Sheila!

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 793 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, Aug 9: What's your favorite "sweet treat"?

Caramel

message 23: by Leah (new)

Friday, August 10: What's the best gift you've ever been given?

message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Friday, August 10: What's the best gift you've ever been given?"

A giant heart-shaped brownie, baked in a pan that my husband crafted himself in his welding class.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 793 comments Leah wrote: "Friday, August 10: What's the best gift you've ever been given?"

I treasure anything hand made by my girls.

message 26: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Melissa wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, Aug 9: What's your favorite "sweet treat"?

Caramel"

Me too, Melissa. Anything caramel.

message 27: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Leah wrote: "Friday, August 10: What's the best gift you've ever been given?"

Out of the blue, I received a small book in the mail that my cousin wrote about my Grandmother. Another gift I received without knowing I was getting it was a family picture taken of all my dad's family that attended the last reunion we had when he was alive.

message 28: by Leah (new)

Monday, August 13: It's Left-Hander day! is anyone left-handed here?

message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Monday, August 13: It's Left-Hander day! is anyone left-handed here?"

Not me ... but my dad was

message 30: by Leah (new)

Tuesday, August 14: Would you rather explore a new planet, or the deepest parts of the ocean?

message 31: by Leah (new)

Wednesday, August 15: What is the strangest thing you have come across?

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Tuesday, August 14: Would you rather explore a new planet, or the deepest parts of the ocean?"

Deepest parts of the ocean. There's so much to learn still right here on earth.

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 793 comments Leah wrote: "Tuesday, August 14: Would you rather explore a new planet, or the deepest parts of the ocean?"

The deepest parts of the ocean.

message 34: by Leah (new)

Thursday, August 16: What’s one responsibility you really wish you didn’t have?

message 35: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Leah wrote: "Monday, August 13: It's Left-Hander day! is anyone left-handed here?"

Not me ... but my dad was"

Not me but my granddaughter is and her dad thinks she should be forced to use her right hand.

message 36: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Leah wrote: "Tuesday, August 14: Would you rather explore a new planet, or the deepest parts of the ocean?"

The ocean. I love water. And fish.

message 37: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Leah wrote: "Wednesday, August 15: What is the strangest thing you have come across?"

Working in the nursing home, we didn't know one of the residents had a glass eye til we found it under the bed.

message 38: by Leah (new)

Friday, August 17: Who inspires you to be better?

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 793 comments Leah wrote: "Friday, August 17: Who inspires you to be better?"

My children

message 40: by Leah (new)

Monday, August 20: What state or country do you never want to go back to?

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Monday, August 20: What state or country do you never want to go back to?"

There is no state or country where I've had such a negative experience that I'd say "I'll never go back." That being said, there are locations where my experience was simply not special, or where I've been several times already ... so I don't have any burning desire to return. In the USA: Alabama, Hawaii and Nevada come to mind; internationally, hmmm ... can't think of anyplace.

message 42: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Melissa wrote: "Leah wrote: "Friday, August 17: Who inspires you to be better?"

My children"

Family

message 43: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Leah wrote: "Monday, August 20: What state or country do you never want to go back to?"

Well, we almost had a very bad accident going through Wisconsin a few years ago so I have a bit of a fear of doing it again. Thanks to my husband's quick reflexes it was avoided. I dont think I would have been so quick if I had been driving.

message 44: by Book Concierge (new)

Wednesday, Aug 22: What kind of snack foods do keep on hand?

We keep a container of pecans on the kitchen counter; Hubby and I will grab a few every now and again.
I also keep a container of dark chocolate candies. Sometimes I'll buy the sugar-free mints at the grocery, other times I'll just buy a candy bar and cut it up into little squares. I limit myself to 1 piece per day.
I also usually have a bowl of grapes, cherries or cherry-tomatoes on the counter as well, which Hubby and I snack from throughout the day.

message 45: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 630 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 22: What kind of snack foods do keep on hand?

We keep a container of pecans on the kitchen counter; Hubby and I will grab a few every now and again.
I also keep a container of dark ..."

Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 22: What kind of snack foods do keep on hand?

I also keep a container of dark ..."

Ice cream, popcorn, yogurt, cheese. I try to have something bite size for my chocolate and caramel cravings.

message 46: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 22: What kind of snack foods do keep on hand?

Cheese, crackers, peanuts, fruit. And whatever is on the kid's happy list (usually fruit snacks and goldfish crackers).

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 793 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 22: What kind of snack foods do keep on hand?

I always have carrots, celery and cauliflower around. And my husband loves cheese with summer sausage. My girls snack on salsa and tortilla chips.

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 22: What kind of snack foods do keep on hand? ..."

BTW ... I had to admit that I absolutely LOVE potato chips ... which is why I don't keep them in the house. I'd eat a whole bag at once if they were here. A couple of times a year I'll break down and buy one of the small bags at the gas station convenience store to satisfy that craving. But keep them handy at home ... NO

message 49: by Leah (new)

Thursday, August 23: If you made any new year resolutions - have you stuck to them?

message 50: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "Thursday, August 23: If you made any new year resolutions - have you stuck to them?"

I wanted to get healthier. I joined a gym and go about 5 times a week. I've gained a bunch of muscle and lost 13 pounds so far. So I'm doing ok, so far.

« previous 1