Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Overflowing Bookshelf Challenge > The Overflowing Bookshelf Mini-Goals Challenge - Rules

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Aug 01, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7204 comments Mod
Having the main "read as many books from your collection as you can" Overflowing Bookshelf Challenge has been super motivating towards some of our long-term TBR goals, but I thought I would introduce a slightly more detailed mini challenge to narrow the focus a bit (there are several other mini challenges in the link provided... this is just a new one).

The Overflowing Bookshelf Goals Challenge!

Identify 1-10 high-priority titles from your collection to focus on for a single month and list them out. Your mini-challenge is to read everything you've selected throughout that month. THEN POST YOUR LIST HERE SO WE CAN HELP MOTIVATE ONE ANOTHER. :)

Here's what mine looks like for August 2018:

Niki's August 2018 Overflowing Bookshelf Mini Challenge:
1. Once Dead, Twice Shy - Kim Harrison
2. Early to Death, Early to Rise - Kim Harrison
3. Something Deadly This Way Comes - Kim Harrison
4. Ghost Town - Rachel Caine
5. Lion of Senet - Jennifer Fallon
Read: 0/5

The idea is to check them off as you go, then update at the end of the month with your progress and then use that to figure out what your mini challenge goal is for the next month.

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Love it!

message 3: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Let me know if you have any questions! :) "

*Raising Hand* Me! 😅

Is this challenge something everyone does on his/her tracker, like the normal challenge or is this more like a group thing and we post our List and updates here?

message 4: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments I've kinda been doing this, I think! But not always within the month.
Good idea!

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Jenna wrote: "Love it!"

Thanks Jenna!

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Anni wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Let me know if you have any questions! :) "

*Raising Hand* Me! 😅

Is this challenge something everyone does on his/her tracker, like the normal challenge or is this more like a..."

I was initially thinking just in the trackers, but it would definitely be more fun and motivating to post here, so let's try that for a while. :)

message 7: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Siobhan wrote: "I've kinda been doing this, I think! But not always within the month.
Good idea!"

Yeah me too a little, but without a specific timeline. I'm really hoping it will help keep me focused.

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Aug 21, 2018 01:47PM) (new)

Here's my full list:

Niki's August 2018 Overflowing Bookshelf Mini Challenge:
1. Once Dead, Twice Shy - Kim Harrison
2. Early to Death, Early to Rise - Kim Harrison
3. Something Deadly This Way Comes - Kim Harrison
4. Ghost Town - Rachel Caine
5. Lion of Senet - Jennifer Fallon
6. Black Powder War - Naomi Novik
7. Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erickson*
8. Eulalia! - Brian Jacques
9. Wrath of the Dragon King - Brandon Mull
10. Fury - Rachel Vincent
Read: 7/10

Normally I'd only be shooting for 5 per month, but the Kim Harrison's are super short and I'm already halfway through the two marked with an asterisk. If anyone wants to catch me for an impromptu BR, this is the list to go by lol.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments 1) I love Kim Harrison. I hope that series is as good as The Hallows
2) I think with the 2 months free we get at the end of the year I'm going to go through a Redwall binge read.

message 10: by Bill (last edited Aug 30, 2018 03:36AM) (new)

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Bill wrote: "Having it here will give me a little extra motivation.

Bill’s August challenge
1. Sword of the North
2. Dead Man's Steel
3. Cloudbound
4. [book:Hor..."

Those all sound really interesting, yet I don't own a single one... I hope this doesn't turn into an enabling thread lol.

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "1) I love Kim Harrison. I hope that series is as good as The Hallows
2) I think with the 2 months free we get at the end of the year I'm going to go through a Redwall binge read."

It's the only series I haven't read from her (other than the Decoy Princess duology written as Dawn Cook). I'm hoping they wont disappoint. They've been on my shelves for 9 years.

Fun!! Do you think you'll tackle the entire series? :)

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments Not to enable or anything but the last 5 are part of the audible sale right not. 😉

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Hahaha ooooh that's just mean.

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments 😂

message 16: by Angela Jr. (last edited Aug 01, 2018 11:20AM) (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I've been doing this already and it's super satisfying to check books off the list :) i do tend to only put books i really want to read on there though, and give myself the option to change stuff around if necessary - i hate feeling "forced" to read something I'm not in the mood for...

message 17: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Angela wrote: "I've been doing this already and it's super satisfying to check books off the list :) i do tend to only put books i really want to read on there though, and give myself the option to change stuff a..."

Nice!! Flexibility is definitely important. I reserve the right to delete any off my list on a whim haha.

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Angela wrote: "I've been doing this already and it's super satisfying to check books off the list :) i do tend to only put books i really want to read on there though, and give myself the option to change stuff a..."

What's your list look like this month? :)

message 19: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've been doing this already and it's super satisfying to check books off the list :) i do tend to only put books i really want to read on there though, and give myself the option to..."

Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson (finishing up buddy read from last month)
Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson
Pop goes the Weasel by James Patterson
Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
House of Hades by Rick Riordan (strooong maybe)

- all of which are buddy reads

And also BARF Senior which is nonfiction about canine nutrition

message 20: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Aug 01, 2018 11:34AM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "1) I love Kim Harrison. I hope that series is as good as The Hallows
2) I think with the 2 months free we get at the end of the year I'm going to go through a Redwall bin..."

I hope so! Probably not in 2 months but I've been meaning to finish the series. I might see how many I can read in 2 months and then do 1 per month till I read them all.

message 22: by Anni (last edited Sep 04, 2018 11:09PM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I could use some motivation as well, here's my list for August:

1.) Graceling - Kristin Cashore 4🌟
2.)A Trail Through Time - Jodi Taylor 3🌟
3.) No Time Like the Past - Jodi Taylor
4.) The Waking Fire - Anthony Ryan :) 4.5🌟
5.) Firefight - Brandon Sanderson 4🌟
6.) Calamity - Brandon Sanderson
7.) Bands of Mourning - Brandon Sanderson 5🌟
8.) To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 - Tad Williams 5🌟
9.) Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher

message 23: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "1) I love Kim Harrison. I hope that series is as good as The Hallows
2) I think with the 2 months free we get at the end of the year I'm going to go t..."

If I'm still working through them by then I'll hit you up for the last couple. :)

message 24: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Angela wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've been doing this already and it's super satisfying to check books off the list :) i do tend to only put books i really want to read on there though, and give ..."

Angela wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've been doing this already and it's super satisfying to check books off the list :) i do tend to only put books i really want to read on there though, and give ..."

"BARF" as a title and thinking about my dog, that made me laugh. Nice lineup - I've been stalling on reading the 3rd Eragon book and since we seem to be totally in line with the Riordan ones, your thoughts on Brisingr will carry some extra weight. :)

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "1) Naamah's Curse
2) Ravensong
3) Fool's Fate
4) No Time Like the Past
5) Magic Strikes
6) Magic Bleeds
7) ..."

Ooh!! I've read all but three of those. Great lineup. :)

message 26: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Anni wrote: "I could use some motivation as well, here's my list for August:

1.) Graceling - Kristin Cashore
2.) Percepliquis - Michael J. Sullivan
3.) [book:A Trail Through Time..."

Graceling and Waking Fire... love. :) good luck!

message 27: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Aug 01, 2018 01:18PM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Anni wrote: "I could use some motivation as well, here's my list for August:

I love Graceling. It's one of my favorite YA books. I melt for Po. I hope you enjoy reading it!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "1) I love Kim Harrison. I hope that series is as good as The Hallows
2) I think with the 2 months free we get at the end of..."

We can finish the series out as a mini buddy read! :-)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Anni wrote: "I could use some motivation as well, here's my list for August:

Also, I read all but 3 on your list, and one of those 3 is on my August list, too. Good taste ;-)

message 30: by Hailee (last edited Aug 31, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

Hailee | 2496 comments Ok since I know exactly what books I want to read this month I'll give this a go:

1) Origin - Dan Brown 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
2) Running With Lions - Julian Winters 🌟🌟🌟
3) Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One - Sharon Lathan 🌟🌟🌟🌟
4) Carry On - Rainbow Rowell 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
5) The King of the Crags - Stephen Deas 🌟🌟🌟🌟
6) My Lady Jane - Cynthia Hand + 2 more 🌟🌟🌟
7) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
8) The Sacred Vault - Andy McDermott
9) Sea Witch -Sarah Henning 🌟🌟🌟
10) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (currently reading)

8/10 read.

It was hard to pick the 10 books I think I am most likely to read out of the 14 books on my TBR this month so it'll be interesting to see how my predictions pan out

message 31: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Anni wrote: "I could use some motivation as well, here's my list for August:

3.) [book:A Trail..."

And I'm already halfway done with Graceling :) Fun Fact: Po is called Bo in the german translation because 'Po' means butt/booty (I'm not sure what's the right word, that don't let me sound like I'm trying to use cool kids slang 😅)

message 32: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Anni wrote: "I could use some motivation as well, here's my list for August:

3.) [book:A Trail..."

Yes I spotted 'No time like the past' on your list as well :) Actually, nearly all of them are Buddy Reads, so my taste is only influenced by this amazing group!

I hope you like Fool's Fate, it's my favourite from the Elderlings-series so far (I still have 5 left).

message 33: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Hailee wrote: "Ok since I know exactly what books I want to read this month I'll give this a go:

1) Origin - Dan Brown
2) Running With Lions - Julian Winters
3) [book:Mr. & Mrs. F..."

You need to tell me what you think of Carry On! Got this and Fangirl as a present, but still haven't read it...

message 34: by Hailee (last edited Aug 01, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Hailee | 2496 comments Anni wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Ok since I know exactly what books I want to read this month I'll give this a go:

1) Origin - Dan Brown
2) Running With Lions - Julian Winters
3) [bo..."

Carry On is amazing!!!!!!! This will be a reread for me, it's definately one of my favourite books. Drop everything and read it immediately! 😉

I haven't read Fangirl myself but I have heard good things about it.

message 35: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Angela wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've been doing this already and it's super satisfying to check books off the list :) i do tend to only put books i really want to read on there th..."

It's an acronym for "bone and raw food", albeit an unfortunate one haha

message 36: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4188 comments Yay Niki this thread is a great idea! I'm in and this month I'm planning:

OWNED PHYSICAL
1. Heir of Novron
2. North and South
3. Anna Karenina (free audio support from LibriVox)
4. The Last Argument of Kings
5. I Capture the Castle

LIBRARY
~Daughter of Smoke and Bone
~Days of Blood and Starlight
~The Perfect Rake (borrowed from a friend)

EBOOK
>Tooth and Vlaw
>Ravensong
>The Folding Knife

Let's see if I can finish all this. I might've gone crazed on the planning enthusiasm and bitten off more than I can tackle...😅😂
Karenina is intimidating so I give myself six weeks for it.
Also, I hope we keep this thread active and going to motivate ourselves each month.
Best of luck, everyone.

message 37: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4188 comments Hey where is the thread with @Hailee's book tower pic? I saw it and wanted to comment but then I i lost the place. Wasnt it here? It should deffo be here for this space suits it perfectly. I hope you didnt remove it, gal....
:-(

message 38: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Zaara wrote: "Hey where is the thread with @Hailee's book tower pic? I saw it and wanted to comment but then I i lost the place. Wasnt it here? It should deffo be here for this space suits it perfectly. I hope y..."

It's right here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 39: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4188 comments Thanks Sir Ghost! You really do shine on the chivalric front.

message 40: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments My pleasure, there's no way I could resist a maiden in distress ;)

message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments Knocked off the first two books in my list by finishing the Grim Company series.

message 42: by Hailee (last edited Aug 06, 2018 12:39AM) (new)

Hailee | 2496 comments Zaara wrote: "Hey where is the thread with @Hailee's book tower pic? I saw it and wanted to comment but then I i lost the place. Wasnt it here? It should deffo be here for this space suits it perfectly. I hope y..."

Haha just saw this comment. I was actually tempted to post the picture here as well but since it had more than 10 books on it I decided to just post a list of the 10 books I'm most likely to read out of it.

I'm all about playing by the rules 😉😂

message 43: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Bill wrote: "Knocked off the first two books in my list by finishing the Grim Company series."

Good job Bill! :)

message 44: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Angela Jr. wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Angela wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've been doing this already and it's super satisfying to check books off the list :) i do tend to only put books i really want..."

lol, well I guess I'd not forget it if I ever needed a copy. Too funny!

message 45: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm excited to see how many have set some goals!

I have read 2 of my 10, and will finish 2 more by the end of the day. I'm also halfway through two more.

I see that some of you are using your original comments to strikethrough titles - great idea! Maybe I'll post a fresh thread every month so we can track progress more easily going forward. Great job!

message 46: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments I’m up to 12 books because I didn’t add the 2nd and 3rd books of The Dragon Prince which I’m reading this month. Didn’t feel like dropping anything from my list.

message 47: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Wow, just checking in and I realized I've read 7/10 of the pledged titles this month, and am halfway through the remaining 3. I feel like a reading demon!!! (Really, it just means prioritization works for me lol).

How's everyone's Challenge going?

message 48: by Anni (last edited Aug 15, 2018 04:38AM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments For me, it could've worked better... I only finished two so far, Firefight and Graceling But I made progress on others and I still hope I manage to finish my planned reads (at least most of them!)

message 49: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Wow, just checking in and I realized I've read 7/10 of the pledged titles this month, and am halfway through the remaining 3. I feel like a reading demon!!! (Really, it just means prioritization wo..."

I feel the same. I’m 7/12 on mine. I’ve been getting to listen to audiobooks while I work so have already finished 15 books this month.

message 50: by Virginie (last edited Aug 30, 2018 06:23AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Oooh, how did I miss this thread? I want in!
Since we're already halfway through the month (where did my summer go? :O), I'm going to shoot for 5 :)

1) Kings of the Wyld
2) The Poppy War
3) Tooth and Claw
4) Blood of Elves
5) Last Dragon Standing

The first 4 are buddy-reads :D

« previous 1