Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > What are you reading? [August 2018]

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6913 comments Mod
What are your reading plans for August? What are you reading right now? Feel free to pop on here and share with us what books you're having a good time with this month. :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Lots and lots of Kate Daniels :-)

message 3: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Lots and lots of Kate Daniels :-)"

Ditto

message 4: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2372 comments Haha too many to list. Here is a picture instead:

description

I've already started Origin and I'll be starting Running With Lions tomorrow. After that who knows ;-)

message 5: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments Oh, you are reading Origin? That is definitely one of Dan Brown´s better books! How do you find it so far?

message 6: by Anni (last edited Aug 01, 2018 03:17PM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Hailee wrote: "Haha too many to list. Here is a picture instead:

I've already started Origin and I'll be starting Running With Lions tomorrow. After that who knows ;-)"

Huh, this book tower is actually a little scary 😂 Good luck reading all these books!

message 7: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 73 comments Reading The Paper Magician series. It'll probably take most of my summer, which I don't mind lol

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

message 11: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2372 comments Jasmin wrote: "Oh, you are reading Origin? That is definitely one of Dan Brown´s better books! How do you find it so far?"

Loving it! Dan Brown can do no wrong with me though 😍

message 12: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2372 comments Anni wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Haha too many to list. Here is a picture instead:

I've already started Origin and I'll be starting Running With Lions tomorrow. After that who knows ..."

I know right!!!!!!! They are all books that fit challenges for a the readathon I'm taking part in this month, so this pile more of an options list. I'm not deluded enough to believe I be able to get to everything haha!

message 13: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments Loving it! Dan Brown can do no wrong with me though 😍"

Same. My only problem with him is how he often use cheap tricks to increase the tension. Personally, I think his books would be better without those.

message 14: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 18 comments I'm currently working on A Clash of Kings, Theft of Swords, Der Thron von Melengar, and I just started The Night Circus.

message 15: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 73 comments Adrian wrote: "I'm currently working on A Clash of Kings, Theft of Swords, Der Thron von Melengar, and I just started The Night Circus."

Oh, I hope you will love the The Night Circus. It's intriguing to be honest. Do you love it so far?

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
This month I'm reading.

FBR
Orb Sceptre Throne (Malazan Empire #4)
The Crippled God (MBotF #10)

Other groups
Phantom Instinct (standalone)
Evil Games (DI Kim Stone #2)

message 17: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 18 comments Simi wrote: "Adrian wrote: "I'm currently working on A Clash of Kings, Theft of Swords, Der Thron von Melengar, and I just started The Night Circus."
..."

I just started it today and haven't had much time to read, but I do like it so far. Is there a buddy read or thread for it?

message 18: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 73 comments Adrian wrote: "Simi wrote: "Adrian wrote: "I'm currently working on A Clash of Kings, Theft of Swords, Der Thron von Melengar, and I just started [book:The Night Circu..."

That's good. And I'm not sure.

message 19: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4091 comments 😍😍 Hailee. Gorgeous pic.

message 20: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm still finishing off some from the last month or so, but here are the new ones for this month.

BRs
The Bands of Mourning
Kings of the Wyld
Days of Blood and Starlight
Inkspell
The Last Olympian
Children of Blood and Bone

Non BRs
The Forbidden Door

message 21: by Hailee (last edited Aug 05, 2018 01:36AM) (new)

Hailee | 2372 comments Zaara wrote: "😍😍 Hailee. Gorgeous pic."

Thanks Zaara :-)

message 22: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 802 comments In the unlikely event that I read 12 books this month, they'll be:

FBR:
1. The last argument of kings
2. Kings of the Wyld
3. The final empire
4. Cibola Burn
5. The Gates of Rome

Other group:
6. Ross Poldark

Solo:
7. A fortunate life (book club)
8. Road Brothers
9. The King's witch
10. The fifth season
11. Dark matter
12. The champion

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Conley | 4 comments 1. Lavathian Wakes
2. The first law
3. Sandman Vol. 1
4. Still reading book 1 of the Storm light archive

I have been having a tough time lately, I start books and get about halfway through, and then loose interest. What is going on? A lot of times I actually like the story I'm reading.

message 24: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 73 comments Ever read the synopsis, or do hear what people say and then read what's going on? Just a guess. Maybe find books that interesr you or something.

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

lol I do that too Robert. Usually it's because I have too many good books to get to and fall victim to that "oooh, shiny" syndrome.

message 26: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 73 comments Ah, good looking covers would get to me. Luckily, I don't fall for it. I mean, I like how beautiful and professional it is, but I always go for the synopsis to back me up on choices.

Still, I have too many books on my TBR list ^^;

message 27: by Shari S (new)

Shari S (minimom) | 3 comments I am reading The Return of the Guardian-King (Legends of the Guardian-King) #4 by Karen Hancock. Very good series

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Currently reading two: Days of Blood & Starlight and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry.
Finished Uprooted earlier this month. It was good, but I had a couple problems with it. Hoping to re-read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Also need to read Caraval and The House of Hades

message 29: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 6 comments I'm currently reading The Book Thief and Margaret the First.

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Jess wrote: "I'm currently reading The Book Thief and Margaret the First."

I loved The Book Thief!

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm just finishing up Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers and it's awesome! Very light hearted scifi fun. I'm glad it was recommended so often because I quite liked it. :)

message 32: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I'm just finishing up Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers and it's awesome! Very light hearted scifi fun. I'm glad it was recommended so often because I quite liked it. :)"

Hey Niki. I'm glad you like it. It was one of my favourite reads from last year and I'm now rereading in audio - which I can recommend!

message 33: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments My holiday has just started so I'm hoping to read a lot (won't give the whole list because it's huge haha) but I'm currently reading some historical fiction (read melodramas) and I've just started Bane and Shadow which is great fun. I recommend this series to any and all who like adventures and piracy in their fantasy.

message 34: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Meagan wrote: "Good news is, I just finished my reading challenge for 2018 and have finished 30 books this year. :) "

Well done!

message 35: by Dani (last edited Aug 18, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Tammie wrote: "I'm planning on these:"

Hi Tammie. You're in for a treat with The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. It's among my best 5 reads of this year. I hope you'll like it.

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

So much fun, Dani! I already have the next one on deck. :)

message 37: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Dani wrote: "Tammie wrote: "I'm planning on these:"

Hi Tammie. You're in for a treat with The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. It's among my best 5 reads of this year. I hope you'll like it."

Oh, that's good to know! Hopefully I'll get to soon.

message 38: by Hailee (last edited Aug 20, 2018 01:46AM) (new)

Hailee | 2372 comments Thought I'd update this thread with what I have read so far:

Running With Lions 🌟🌟🌟
Saga, Vol. 2 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Origin 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Carry On 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One 🌟🌟🌟🌟
My Lady Jane 🌟🌟🌟

I am currently reading The King of the Crags.

message 39: by Maegan (new)

Maegan | 4 comments I just finished re-reading Discovery of Witches and am currently re-reading Shadow of Night. I am also reading Poison Fruit (Agent of Hel, Book 3).

message 40: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Oooh love Agent of Hel!

message 41: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm currently reading Empire of Ivory (Temeraire) and am enjoying it oodles more than I thought I would. The dragons are superb!

message 42: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I'm currently reading Empire of Ivory (Temeraire) and am enjoying it oodles more than I thought I would. The dragons are superb!"

Of course they are superb. They're DRAGONS! :p

message 43: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Exactly!! :D

message 44: by Shae (new)

Shae | 372 comments Just started 'The Toy Makers' by Robert Dinsdale - the writing is really beautiful. Finding the story to be really imaginative and captivating so far :-)

message 45: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 370 comments Finished reading Record of a Spaceborn Few didn't like it as much as the first 2. I did like learning more about the Exodan Fleet though.

message 46: by Aakash (new)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 415 comments Completed mark of Athena and I will continue to read house of hades(heroes of olympus) after my exams.

message 47: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (1001bookstogo) | 2 comments I just finished reading High Voltage (Fever series) by Karen Marie Moning ( I absolutely love her!) such a great book series if anyone is into urban fantasy.

message 48: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 38 comments A couple of days ago I started Gardens of the Moon, Fisrt book of the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. I like the style and the story. I would like to read as many books as possible before the end of this year.