What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book like "mazes and monsters" with either canadian or british young geeky female protagonist that plays d&d written mid-2000s

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.C. (new)

E.C. (ecodex) | 4 comments The Canadian/British thing in title comes from the character at one point referring to her "mobile"--I can't remember anything specific about setting.
The plot is loosely about a young teenage girl who gets involved in her school's D&D club, at some point they go LARPing in tunnels or something concrete.
I would have read this book in middle school and at that point it would have been *relatively* recent, so published somewhere between 2003-2008; the year I read it would have been either 2007-2009. The cover was blue or purple and it wouldn't have exceeded 200 pages.

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Jul 27, 2018 02:12AM) (new)

Rachel | 1532 comments Sorry if this is a silly question but you're not thinking of Mazes and Monsters by Rona Jaffe? Or is it just a similar book?

The one by Rona Jaffe was published in the 80s so unlikely they would have had mobile phones though.

message 3: by E.C. (new)

E.C. (ecodex) | 4 comments Rachel wrote: "Sorry if this is a silly question but you're not thinking of Mazes and Monsters by Rona Jaffe? Or is it just a similar book?

The one by Rona Jaffe was published in the 80s so unlikel..."

it's a similar book---some kids are LARPing in an industrial area at some point but the comparison stops there. "mazes and monsters" is so notorious, however, that every time i try to find out what this mystery book is i end up with that instead!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1532 comments Oh, I see what you mean now. It's so annoying when one specific book clogs up all your search results! Hope you find what you're looking for.

message 5: by E.C. (new)

E.C. (ecodex) | 4 comments Rachel wrote: "Oh, I see what you mean now. It's so annoying when one specific book clogs up all your search results! Hope you find what you're looking for."

it seriously is. it's a great book, just not the one I'm looking for! thank you so much! <3

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15710 comments Still looking, Phoebe?

message 7: by E.C. (new)

E.C. (ecodex) | 4 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Still looking, Phoebe?"

Fitfully, yes. )-: It haunts me. I even went as far as to contact the librarian at my old middle school where I read the book and never heard back.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (swynn68) | 76 comments Into the Wild Nerd Yonder by Juli Halpern?

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32069 comments Mod
Phoebe, what's the genre (which we need to add to the header/topic title) - e.g., YA fantasy, mystery, thriller?