Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Books of the Month > BotM Winners for August 2018

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
Nicely done on selecting our two new books of the month. Our winners are

Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers

and

The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang

For one of the few times this year I actually haven't read either of these book and am interested in reading both. (apparently I pre-ordered Record of a Spaceborn Few back in January so it was a nice little surprise when it showed up in the mail yesterday.

message 2: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 54 comments Wonderful! I'm looking forward to discussing Spaceborn Few. :)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 407 comments Does anyone know if I will I need to have read the other wayfarer books to appreciate this or can it stand alone? Thx

message 4: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 54 comments Amy wrote: "Does anyone know if I will I need to have read the other wayfarer books to appreciate this or can it stand alone? Thx"

I haven't read it yet but from what I can gather, the story is separate from those of the other books. However, it's probably helpful to have read the others first for the sake of the worldbuilding.

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 394 comments I'm looking forward to the poppy war. Its been on my tbr list for a while so will definitely be reading that. Record of a spaceborn few sounds good too and the covers are so pretty. If its stand alone that's even better as I've not read the others either so I might give that a try too if I have time. Although I think I'd read at least the first one first.

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Looks like Poppy War for me...especially since I'll be doing a buddy read of it in another group.

message 7: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 9 comments Poppy War sounds really interesting. I've moved it to the top of my Read Next list :-). (Now hopefully something else won't come along and move it down, lol).

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve | 158 comments Looking forward to both of these (though I will have to get in the first two Becky Chambers books before joining the chat for that one).

message 9: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
Steve wrote: "Looking forward to both of these (though I will have to get in the first two Becky Chambers books before joining the chat for that one)."

They are both quite good and we have BOTM discussions for them out there that you can join as well. Enjoy!

message 10: by Maximum (new)

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments I picked up a signed copy of Record of a Spaceborn Few on Friday at a meet the author event in Sheffield, but there's NO WAY I'm reading that copy! I've encased it in a crystal shard for protection and downloaded the audible book. :)

message 11: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 9 comments Scott wrote: "I picked up a signed copy of Record of a Spaceborn Few on Friday at a meet the author event in Sheffield, but there's NO WAY I'm reading that copy! I've encased it in a crystal shard for protection..."

Scott you're so funny, lol. A man whose heart I can finally understand, haha :-)

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve | 158 comments Roger wrote: "Steve wrote: "Looking forward to both of these (though I will have to get in the first two Becky Chambers books before joining the chat for that one)."

They are both quite good and we have BOTM di..."

Awesome! I've heard great things about the series, so it's a nice excuse to pick them all up.

message 13: by Maximum (new)

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Cathie wrote: "Scott wrote: "I picked up a signed copy of Record of a Spaceborn Few on Friday at a meet the author event in Sheffield, but there's NO WAY I'm reading that copy! I've encased it in a crystal shard ..."

Thanks :) Nice to know my need to coo lovingly at my books is understood.

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (fogjuice) | 191 comments Spaceborn Few isn't showing as available to buy at Audible for me. :( I love the job Rachel Dulude did with the first Wayfarers book.

message 15: by Margo (new)

Margo Record of a Spaceborn Few is one of the few new books I am allowing myself to buy this year. I love that series! I will definitly join this read.

message 16: by Maximum (new)

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Matthew wrote: "Spaceborn Few isn't showing as available to buy at Audible for me. :( I love the job Rachel Dulude did with the first Wayfarers book."

That's not the narrator I get for Audible UK. I've got all three books from them and they're narrated by Patricia Rodriguez, who I think does a fantastic job.

message 17: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Just got Record of a Spaceborn few in the post. Good timing

message 18: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2819 comments Mod
I still haven’t read the second Wayfarers, but I have until the 11th to read Poppy War.

message 19: by Maximum (new)

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Audrey wrote: "I still haven’t read the second Wayfarers, but I have until the 11th to read Poppy War."

I really enjoyed the second Wayfarers book, Audrey. I even got a bit misty eyed in some of the more emotional places, which isn't like me.

Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex | 518 comments I love Becky Chambers' books! I got Record of a Spaceborn Few at YALC and she signed that and the first two I already owned for me! (I may have fangirled a bit...)

Seen really good things about The Poppy War so ordered that as well.

Really exciting month's reads! :D

message 21: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1742 comments I won a copy of Record of a Spaceborn Few in a GR giveaway a couple months ago! :) This has been one of my favorite SF series.

message 22: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2819 comments Mod
Shawnie wrote: “I won a copy of Record of a Spaceborn Few in a GR giveaway a couple months ago! :) This has been one of my favorite SF series.”

Cool!

message 23: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Saw this on kickstarter and thought it was good timing for the BOTM with Becky Chambers book badges https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

message 24: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1810 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Saw this on kickstarter and thought it was good timing for the BOTM with Becky Chambers book badges https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/..."

Awesome Paul! Kind of related (in that they are enamel pins), Punky Pins has this collection: https://punkypins.co.uk/collections/i...

I have the 'Quiet Please' one, but the 'One More Chapter' and bookshelves ones are also great :)

message 25: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
They are very cool