Albany Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 Summer Reading Progarm > SRP 2018 Week 5: Retelling of a Classic

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 80 comments Mod
Monday, July 23 - Saturday, July 28, 2018

Welcome to Week 5 of APL's Summer Reading Program!

If you have not registered yet for the program, please look back on our discussion titled "2018 Summer Reading Program Information!" to register and get all the information needed!

If you have registered, read on!

This week, we are highlighting retellings of classic stories.

“When you reread a classic, you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than there was before.” - Cliff Fadiman

It looks like some authors saw new stories in these books when they read them. Check out some classic stories retold for modern readers. Let us know which telling you enjoy better, or suggest other retellings you think summer readers will enjoy!

Below you will find our recommendations for retellings of classic stories.

Remember to comment if you have finished a book this week, including the title and author. You can also stop into your local APL branch and pick up a BINGO card, if you prefer pen and paper to screen and keyboard!

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies - Seth Grahame-Smith
Cinder: The Lunar Chronicles - Marissa Meyer
Sense & Sensibility - Joanna Trollope
Emma - Alexander McCall Smith
A Thousand Acres (King Lear) - Jane Smiley
The Sixteenth of June (Ulysses) - Maya Lang
Ana of California (Anne of Green Gables) - Andi Teran
March (Little Women) - Geraldine Brooks
Wicked (Wizard of Oz) - Gregory Maguire
The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller
Ulysses (The Iliad) - James Joyce

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Pearson-strain | 4 comments I am reading Dorothy Must Die (Wizard of Oz). Starting it tonight, so wish me luck!

message 3: by Jaybee (new)

Jaybee | 35 comments I just finished Warlight and loved it.

message 4: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 206 comments Noooo! I'm not ready for week five! Haven't done my week four!

I do have Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking Twist sitting on my shelf, though.

Aargh, now I need to get busy.

message 5: by Vickie (new)

Vickie | 27 comments I am way behind in the comments.. We are moving to a new house and doing restorations so my life is quite complicated at the moment. But, I'm still reading. I finished "Wintering: A Novel of Sylvia Plath" by Kate Moses on the 15th and "Perfume River" by Robert Olen Butler early this morning. (I read when I am unable to sleep.) I have just begun "A Place called Winter" by Patrick Gale.

message 6: by Vickie (new)

Vickie | 27 comments Of the week 5 books listed above, I have read "Wicked" and "A Thousand Acres" and really enjoyed both of them.

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Rescigno (foranimals) | 24 comments I just finished All The Missing Girls by Megan Miranda which was an interesting read. However, I'd like to read a book that fit's this week's theme. So I am on the hunt for my next one.

message 8: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 206 comments A book I can recommend for this week's theme--which I read last summer--is Eligible

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (readersbeadvised) | 78 comments Mod
Things are working out nicely. I'll be finished with Homegoing for the last thread and I just received in the mail A Touch of Gold based on King Midas-- so that will be up next!

message 10: by Kelvin mugo (new)

Kelvin mugo | 1 comments Hi guys,am kelvin and am new to this group.please help learn how you do things here.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (slushies) | 16 comments I just finished reading The Winter People, by Jennifer McMahon, last night! It was so good! I liked how the story combined the points of view from characters throughout history and interweaved their stories.

message 12: by Cassandra (new)

Your books have all been added. Thank you for your suggestions and participation so far!

Jaybee, Vickie, Alicia, and Emily, you have prizes waiting for you when you visit your local APL branch.

Kelvin, please look back on our discussion titled "2018 Summer Reading Program Information!" to register and get all the information you need to get started.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 177 comments Melissa wrote: "I am reading Dorothy Must Die (Wizard of Oz). Starting it tonight, so wish me luck!"
Oh, I think that is the one I am going to try! Thanks.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 177 comments Oh, I really liked March, which surprised me because I am so tired of Civil War books. But this one was more compelling. It tells the stories of the father of the girls from Little Women - What was he doing when they are all at home?

But I am partial to Gregory Maguire because he is a great supporter of Albany Public Library, so read his book on this topic out of hometown pride!

message 15: by Molly (new)

Molly | 14 comments Hello!!

Finished up reading the following:

Cottage by the Sea by Debbie Macomber
The Moscow Deception by Karen Robards
When we find Home by Susan Mallery
Sweet Vengeance by Fern Michaels
All your perfects by Colleen Hoover

Have a great all!

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana | 66 comments I love retellings! A few of my favorites are Goddess of Yesterday and Lavinia for teen readers, On Beauty (more of a remix than a retelling of Howards End), Victor LaValle's Destroyer, and Ash and Deerskin for different takes on fairy tales.

message 17: by Cassandra (new)

Molly wrote: "Hello!!

Finished up reading the following:

Cottage by the Sea by Debbie Macomber
The Moscow Deception by Karen Robards
When we find Home by Susan Mallery
Sweet Vengeance by Fern Michaels
All your..."

Molly, your books have been added. You have prizes waiting for you the next time you stop by your local APL branch!

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments finished Number One Chinese Restaurant by Lillian Li

message 19: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments also another graphic novel FukuFuku Kitten Takes 2 - Konami Kanata

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Finished a King Midas YA retelling from a debut author called A Touch of Gold today. Beautiful cover!

message 21: by Jaybee (new)

Jaybee | 35 comments I read Ghosted by Rosie Walsh. it was a fine summer read.

message 22: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments greatly enjoyed John Hodgman's Vacationland.

message 23: by Cassandra (new)

Your books have all been added!

Jaybee, you have prizes waiting for you the next time you visit your local APL branch.

message 24: by ED (new)

ED | 13 comments I have read. Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo", by Zora Neale Hurston. This is her ethonographic account of Cudjoe Lewis, who was the last living slave who arrived on the shores of the U. S. on the last slave ship, called the Clotilde. Hurston interviewed Lewis in 1927 to gather his personal account. Her research detailed his life as a free African who was captured by the African king of Dahomey, then sent to the coast of Africa to be sold to American slavers illegally since slavery had been outlawed at that time. Cudjo Lewis tells how he faced terrorism in Africa, from those in the Dahomey kingdom and then in America as a slave.

message 25: by Jaybee (new)

Jaybee | 35 comments I read Clock Dance by Anne Tyler. always love her characters.

message 26: by Cassandra (new)

Your books have been added.

Keep the discussion going. We have some great discussion and suggestions this week!

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 9 comments I’ve just finished reading Like Brothers, by Mark and Jay Duplass. It’s an autobiography, on how they came to run their own film production company, churning out simple yet real indies like Tangerine. But it’s almost less about the film industry and more focused on their bond as brothers and best friends, and how their involvement in film both enriched and complicated their relationship. It’s told through quirky stories of their growing up, tips on how to get by in the industry, and random chapters where they people-watch at airports and make up stories about the individuals they see. I was fun to read about their intense and unique bond, I definitely recommend it, especially if you’re into movies/screenwriting and such!

message 28: by Cassandra (new)

Jessica wrote: "I’ve just finished reading Like Brothers, by Mark and Jay Duplass. It’s an autobiography, on how they came to run their own film production company, churning out simple yet real indies like Tangeri..."

Your book has been added. Also, your level 1 prize is waiting for you whenever you visit your local APL branch!

message 29: by Paul (new)

Paul R | 45 comments Sorry, I did not find a retold classic that I liked so far. I tried a few, but they did not work out (same for some audiobooks this week). I did finish three books. Forged in Fire by Trish McCallan was first, then Secrets of the Heart in Fortune's Bay and it's short story companion by Sidney Valentine, finally, Before Twelve: Sam's Story by Robin Edwards (a second prequel).

message 30: by Alicia (new)

So as we finish week 5, I've already posted the retelling that I read but other books that I read include: The Cruel Prince (Holly Black is the queen of faeries and I am so glad to be back in her worlds again, seriously MUST READ) I'm lucky enough to have the ARC of The Wicked King which I'm currently reading. I also read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and a handful of others.

This past Friday/Saturday, I participated in a readathon-- 24 hours beginning at 8pm Friday night through 8pm Saturday night. I read a total of 17 hours and 30 minutes during that time, so for those really intense readers, if you're ever interested in participating, this is one of them at Dewey Readathon (you can find them on Goodreads, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). The next readathon is October 20th. Not only are you reading but stopping periodically to root on fellow readers. I had so much fun.

message 31: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments Jessica wrote: "I’ve just finished reading Like Brothers, by Mark and Jay Duplass. It’s an autobiography, on how they came to run their own film production company, churning out simple yet real indies like Tangeri..."

This one looks really interesting. Stories about brothers works for me.

message 32: by Diana (new)

Diana | 66 comments Finished Gone Girl, my 'everyone has read this but me' book. I liked it; having seen the film first, it was interesting to get more of Nick's perspective (although it certainly didn't make him more sympathetic).

message 33: by Cassandra (new)

Paul, Alicia, and Diana, your books have been added.

Diana, your level 2 and 3 reading prizes are waiting for you the next time you visit your local APL branch!

message 34: by ED (new)

ED | 13 comments Ana of California by Andi Teran presents a thoughtful protagonist who you can truly sympathize with and root for. Ana Cortez, has bounced between foster families with her final chance being an internship at the Garbers' Farm. Here she finds her true home with Abby and her brother Emmett Garber. Ana's journey with her new family shows that redemption is not only necessary in our lives, but can be thoroughly attained when loved ones are willing to help carry us through it. -- Eva D. (ED)

message 35: by Alissa Paige (new)

Alissa Paige | 6 comments Just finished "Running the Long Path: A 350-mile Journey of Discovery in New York's Hudson Valley" by Kenneth A. Posner. The Long Path is a trail from NYC to Thatcher Park. It was a neat read to hear this Posner's ultra-marathon experience combined with the history of NYS.

message 36: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 11 comments I finished "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher this week.

message 37: by Cassandra (new)

Eva, Alissa, and Meredith, your books have been added.

Eva, you have a prize waiting for you the next time you visit your local APL branch!

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie Kurtessis | 10 comments Last week I read:

Hey Ladies! by Michelle Markowitz, The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams, and The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager.

I would recommend The Summer Wives (especially for Beatriz Williams Fans) and The Last Time I Lied for those who like the thriller genre.

(I picked up prizes 1, 2, and 3 by the way at Bach Branch last week- they took my name, but I figured I could mention it here too).

message 39: by Cassandra (new)

Katie wrote: "Last week I read:

Hey Ladies! by Michelle Markowitz, The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams, and The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager.

I would recommend The Summer Wives (especially for Beatriz Will..."

Your books have been added. Your level 4 prize is waiting for you the next time you visit your local APL branch!

message 40: by Josanna (new)

Josanna (josanna14) | 4 comments So I’ve been so busy I forgot to comment the books I’ve read, so far I have read The New Girl by Tracie Puckett, A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay, Once Gone by Blake Pierce, Silence by Natasha Preston, and Explict by Roxy Sloane.

message 41: by Cassandra (new)

Josanna wrote: "So I’ve been so busy I forgot to comment the books I’ve read, so far I have read The New Girl by Tracie Puckett, A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay, Once Gone by Blake Pierce, Silence by Natash..."

Your books have been added, and you have two prizes waiting for you the next time you visit your local APL branch!

message 42: by Abi (last edited Aug 01, 2018 06:30PM) (new)

Abi (foureyedabi) | 75 comments on July 25th I finished "Dead Girls: Surviving an American Obsession" by Alice Bolin. it was an *amazing* book of essays on true crime, police procedurals, feminism and so much more. I can't recommend it enough!

I also finished "A Conjuring of Light" by VE Schwab, which was a lovely conclusion to the series.

message 43: by Alicia (new)

Abi wrote: "on July 25th I finished "Dead Girls: Surviving an American Obsession" by Alice Bolin. it was an *amazing* book of essays on true crime, police procedurals, feminism and so much more. I can't recomm..."

I totally just added Dead Girls to my TBR list! Can't get enough true crime!

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Marsico | 10 comments I've done a ton of reading but not much discussion here!
- Midnight III by Sister Soulja
- Habibi by Craig Thompson
- Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg (UK version of Smilla's Sense of Snow)
- The Beast Side: Living and Dying While Black in America by D. (Dwight) Watkins
- Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments Laurie wrote: "greatly enjoyed John Hodgman's Vacationland."

I just finished this a few weeks ago, and loved it!

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments Alicia wrote: "So as we finish week 5, I've already posted the retelling that I read but other books that I read include: The Cruel Prince (Holly Black is the queen of faeries and I am so glad to ..."

This is so cool!

message 47: by Cassandra (new)

Your books have all been added!

Abi, Alicia R., and Jessica M., you have prizes waiting for you the next time you visit your local APL branch.

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Marsico | 10 comments Do you know which, for me? Last time I went, the librarian didn't know which prize I was up to and relied on me to tell her but I wasn't sure if it was 1 or 2. I got the bookmark thus far, but that's it. I'm either up to 3 or 4 I believe.

message 49: by Cassandra (new)

Jessica wrote: "Do you know which, for me? Last time I went, the librarian didn't know which prize I was up to and relied on me to tell her but I wasn't sure if it was 1 or 2. I got the bookmark thus far, but that..."

Hi Jessica! You are up to your level 3 prize, so you should be able to pick up your Stewart's coupon and the mini notebook and pen set. Be sure to let our staff know you're a Goodreads participant, and let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.