Play Book Tag discussion

My Year of Rest and Relaxation
This topic is about My Year of Rest and Relaxation
Archive: Other Books > My Year of Rest and Relaxation - Ottessa Moshfegh 5/5

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1482 comments Our narrator is tired. Done in. Wrung out. She needs a break and decides to take it with a year off ... From life.

I LOVED this book. It was so clever, and funny. Also sad and depressing. It hits on a lot of topics including grief, depression, pharmaceuticals, friendship, relationships and naps ... long, long, naps. I know this isn't a book for everybody, but it was 100% a book for me.

It reminded me of Chuck Palahniuk (when he was still good) and Bret Easton Ellis, but a more feminine version. The cynicism was more manageable.

I was completely blown away and now wish I had read Eileen when it was on the Booker list. I'll definitely be looking forward to more from this author.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Nicole D. wrote: "Our narrator is tired. Done in. Wrung out. She needs a break and decides to take it with a year off ... From life.

I LOVED this book. It was so clever, and funny. Also sad and depressing. It hits..."

Interesting. I didn’t like Eileen. I thought it was okay but nothing special although the character development was fantastic. She is a Brown graduate so she does a lot of readings on campus. I think this one may make the list. We shall find out soon.

Great review Nicole

Susie | 4488 comments I finished it a few days ago but I’m yet to write my review. I really liked it too, but not quite enough for a five. It reminded me a bit of The First Bad Man with the whacky dialed down.

Tracy (tstan) | 1195 comments I have this on audiobook. I didn’t love Eileen, either, but I’ve heard so much good buzz about this one- I’ll have to tackle it soon, when I can really pay attention.

Nicole D. | 1482 comments Tracy wrote: "I have this on audiobook. I didn’t love Eileen, either, but I’ve heard so much good buzz about this one- I’ll have to tackle it soon, when I can really pay attention."
I did the audio. Narrator was great.

message 6: by Cheryl is busier irl atm. (last edited Jul 26, 2018 12:08PM) (new) - added it

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Took me quite a while to figure out you were all talking about Eileen... without punctuation or a link, I thought Eileen was either the character or author of this book. The other book, Eileen, is not for me, but this one looks interesting.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Hmmmm....thoughts on this for me?

Tracy (tstan) | 1195 comments I just finished. I have to say it was much better than Eileen.
Darkish, with a quirky, unreliable narrator who thinks she can sleep her way into a new life. The characters were pretty difficult to like, but there was hope.
Nicole, I think you’ll like it- I think it’s certainly a Pulitzer contender.