SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Looking for books that feature Mars

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (new)

Odette (odman) | 29 comments I am just new to this group as I have recently joined a real life SciFi/Fantasy book club. I am also fairly new to this genre, of which I want to read more. The theme for the next meeting is Mars.
Just looking for recommendations for books that feature Mars.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments I'm gonna be that guy, but The Martian

message 3: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments Red Mars
Green Mars
Blue Mars
= a series by Kim Stanley Robinson

A Princess of Mars
The Gods of Mars
The Warlord of Mars
The Chessmen of Mars
Thuvia, Maid of Mars
Swords of Mars
John Carter of Mars = first book in series which was made into a movie
several other books
a fantasy series by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Podkayne of Mars
by Robert Heinlein

Mars
by Ben Bova

The Sands of Mars
by Arthur C. Clarke

Old Mars
by George R,R, Martin

message 4: by John (new)

John Siers | 255 comments … and of course
The Martian Chronicles
by Ray Bradbury

message 5: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments We Can Remember it for you Wholesale by Phillip K Dick. The story that the movie Total Recall was loosely based on.

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Also a couple of Doctor Who stories take place on Mars or are about Mars. Anything involving the Ice Warriors or the Waters of Mars.

message 7: by Karin (last edited Jul 22, 2018 05:39PM) (new)

Karin | 773 comments Don't forget Out of the Silent Planet and Stranger in a Strange Land which are both classics. I really enjoyed The Martian (already mentioned) but read Podkayne of Mars as a kid so don't know if I'd like it now.

Here's a list, because I don't want to recommend books I haven't read. I know I've read more set on Mars than those 4 plus The Martian Chronicles, but don't recall the titles right now. https://futurism.media/best-sci-fi-bo...

ETA The Sands of Mars is one I read many years ago. Found that on this list https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best...

I have probably read some of the other classics mentioned here and on those lists, but I read a couple of thousand books (not all scifi!) while growing up so don't remember most of them.

message 8: by Jerry-Book (new)

Jerry-Book | 86 comments I recently read "Old Mars" edited by George R.R. Martin. The premise is there were canals in Mars. This is a collection of short stories based on that theme by various authors.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike I will second many of these, especially The Martian.

Also:

The Martian Race

The Lady Astronaut of Mars (novelette)

You will find that asking for SFF books about Mars is like asking for books about robots, because they are so plentiful and foundational to the genre, going back to H.G. Wells and Edgar Rice Burroughs. Here’s a Goodreads list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 10: by John (last edited Jul 22, 2018 07:01PM) (new)

John Siers | 255 comments Here's one I read a REALLY long time ago (like maybe 60 years ago - was first published in 1956)

First on Mars
By Rex Gordon

I seem to recall the original title was Robinson Crusoe on Mars

message 11: by Mason (new)

Mason (mason_gatti) | 193 comments Red Hope is another one. Only 250 pages.

message 12: by Time (last edited Jul 22, 2018 08:57PM) (new)

Time | 28 comments Robert A. Heinlein has a few, I really liked Red Planet and The Rolling Stones.

message 13: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Wow, it’s like books featuring Mars have to have the name Mars in the title!

message 14: by Odette (new)

Odette (odman) | 29 comments Thank you all very much for your recommendations. So many interesting books to choose from!
I am drawn to the Kim Stanley Robinson series, Red Mars.... which is available in one volume on kindle.
Also favour Ray Bradbury, the Martian Chronicles, as I have not read any of his books; P K Dick, Martian Time Slip; and C S Lewis, Out of the Silent Planet.

message 15: by Clay (new)

Clay (snoweel) | 30 comments I loved the Martian. It was mainly one guy trying to fix a bunch of engineering problems, but it was so suspenseful. Quite realistic in terms of todays technology.

Red/Green/Blue Mars is a saga of colonization and terraforming with plenty of politics and drama. I enjoyed these. There is a lot of use of ambitious technology like solar lenses, and some more speculative developments like life extension technology.

Mars by Ben Bova is a pretty realistic hard SF account of the first manned mission to Mars and it was good.

message 16: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 38 comments Here's a middle grade series that I enjoyed reading as an adult

Marooned!
Missing!
Marsquake!

message 17: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 351 comments Clay wrote: "Mars by Ben Bova is a pretty realistic hard SF account of the first manned mission to Mars and it was good."

He wrote two sequels Return to Mars and Mars Life. I really enjoyed all three of them.

message 18: by Karin (last edited Aug 02, 2018 03:18PM) (new)

Karin | 773 comments Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars is a book one of my daughters enjoyed, but it's more like for 3rd graders--it's only worth it if you have a child who would like it.

message 19: by John (new)

John Siers | 255 comments Darn! Now this thread got me thinking about the books I read so many years ago.

Went to Amazon and found a used copy of the 1956 edition of First On Mars by Rex Gordon.

I was probably about 12 years old when I first read it... now I'm going to read it again and see if it's as good as I remember.

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments I am currently reading an ARC of Thin Air by Richard K. Morgan, set on Mars, it is a hardboiled noir thriller set on the Red Planet, and it is excellent (so far). I am really enjoying it and glad to get an early copy.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael | 153 comments A few that have not been mentioned. Moving Mars by Greg Bear (scifi/drama), Arabella of Mars by David Levine (steam punk), One Day on Mars by Travis Taylor (mitsry scifi) and of course we can't forget the classic War of the Worlds by HG Wells (invasion scifi).

message 22: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 741 comments So jealous!!! I’d love to read an ARC of “Thin Air”!