Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Roberts, Nora--Shelter in Place informal buddy read starts August 1, 2018

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts.

Synopsis
Sometimes, there is nowhere safe to hide.

It was a typical evening at a mall outside Portland, Maine. Three teenage friends waited for the movie to start. A boy flirted with the girl selling sunglasses. Mothers and children shopped together, and the manager at the video-game store tended to customers. Then the shooters arrived.

The chaos and carnage lasted only eight minutes before the killers were taken down. But for those who lived through it, the effects would last forever. In the years that followed, one would dedicate himself to a law enforcement career. Another would close herself off, trying to bury the memory of huddling in a ladies' room, hopelessly clutching her cell phone--until she finally found a way to pour her emotions into her art.

But one person wasn't satisfied with the shockingly high death toll at the DownEast Mall. And as the survivors slowly heal, find shelter, and rebuild, they will discover that another conspirator is lying in wait--and this time, there might be nowhere safe to hide.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Cool. Picked this up tonight. Looks pretty good.

message 5: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 2608 comments I’ll be ready!

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1144 comments I just finished this this week. :( But I'll stop by and chat as you all read.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments I'm going to join in with this as well.

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Dusablon (kaesmmtd720810) | 7 comments I am in

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments So, I just read that Buddy Read points for TT end on the 31st July. So is anyone ready to read this now.. ( I am)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments Starting now..

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Sure. I'll add it to the pile of BRs I am trying to finish this week!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments Chapters 1-3

Wow, I didn't really know what this was about when I started it. Very sobering and realistic, given what happens all around the world today. Very confronting.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments I just read the first few pages. Wow. I had no idea either.

message 14: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 2608 comments I’ll try to start tomorrow ...sounds like it’s good so far

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments Chapters 4-10

Wow, so many emotions in this book.

Patricia.. (view spoiler)

Sisters.. and family relationships.. (view spoiler)

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Just got CeCe's back story. She sounds so cool.
I am really liking this so far. Disturbing, but I am coming to care about the characters.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments Jenny wrote: "Just got CeCe's back story. She sounds so cool.
I am really liking this so far. Disturbing, but I am coming to care about the characters."

Yeah, I think CeCe is the grandmother we all wish we had. Not saying that mine weren't great just a lot more traditional.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Mine were both cookie-baking wonders. Not hippies. But great.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments Finished.

I quite enjoyed it, although I thought it was overly long and got a bit repetitive towards the end. A few scenes seemed unnecessary to the plot and character development and I would have scored it higher with about 50 less pages.

The serial killer was a bit of a cliché as well. Not one of Nora's best but an okay read. 3 stars.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments I have to finish this tonight. Meant to this weekend, but kept getting distracted.

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Done. I liked it. I have never read Roberts before. I don't usually read romance, but this one read like straight fiction. Anyway...

(view spoiler)

I have a running problem with artist characters in books. I want to see the art. Yes, I can imagine it, but I want to see what the author is picturing.

3 1/2 stars. I always round up.

message 22: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 2608 comments I didn't make this start. It's still on my list, but depending on TriW, I may not even get this one in for awhile.

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments We did move it up. If you read it, I will chat with you about it. It's pretty good.

message 24: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 2608 comments Jenny wrote: "We did move it up. If you read it, I will chat with you about it. It's pretty good."

Thanks Jenny....been soooo busy with work. ARG!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shelter in Place (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nora Roberts (other topics)