Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > August Buddy Read Challenge

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7115 comments Buddy Read Challenge

One of the best things about this group is having other romance readers to chat with about books, since often few (or even none) of our RL friends read the genre...if they read much at all. So, we decided it's time to get some action going in our Buddy Reads folder! The premise is simple...everyone who signs up will be paired with someone with some similar reading preferences. Together you will choose a book that you would like to read and discuss. You will then have a month to read your book and chat about it in a dedicated thread in the Buddy Reads folder. There are no hard rules about how the discussion should progress...you can read at the same pace and discuss as you go or wait until you both finish the book before chatting about it - or some combination of the two.

For those of you who are interested, here are the details:

Sign up in this thread by telling us your first and second favorite romance genres (contemporary/historical/paranormal), and also whether you read exclusively (or almost exclusively) m/m, m/f, or some of both.

Signups close Tuesday, July 24 at 6 PM EST. Matchups will be posted as soon as possible after signups close - hopefully within an hour or less. If you have not connected with your buddy by July 30, please let me know...either by posting in this thread or by PM. Anyone who hasn't heard from their buddy by then will either be added to one of the other pairs (the more the merrier, right?) or if there are 2 people without buddies who have similar enough interests, they will be paired up.

Plan on reading a Romance novel for this challenge. In order to match people with similar interests, we need to limit this to romance only. The one exception to this is if AFTER you are matched up, you and your partner discover a non-romance title that you both really want to read, that is acceptable. This should be an exception though, rather than a common practice, and you should go into the challenge expecting to read romance.

Connect with your buddy and choose your book. Once the pairings have been posted, find your discussion thread in the Buddy Reads folder. When you have decided on a book, please post your choice here so the name of your thread can be changed to include the title of the book.

You will have the entire month of July to read and discuss your book. When you're all done reading and discussing, please come back here and let us know how it went!

Happy Reading and Chatting!

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7115 comments Tips/FAQ

Since this is a new challenge, there will probably be questions that we haven't thought of. As they come up and are answered, I'll copy them below.

Tips for choosing your book:

♥ Check out your buddy's "short list". If your buddy has a shelf designated for the PIFM or M&G challenges, look there to see if you can find something you're interested in reading. Or, if either of you doesn't already have a short list, create one! Give your buddy a list of 10 or so books that you're hoping to read soon to see if they have are interested in any of them.
♥ Consider trying something new and different. If you can quickly find something that you've both really been looking forward to reading, that's great! But if you can't, think about looking for something you've been hearing some buzz about but haven't gotten around to reading, or an author or sub-genre that your buddy enjoys but you've rarely or never read before.
♥ Check Amazon for freebies If you can't find something that you both already have (or that one or both of you are fine with buying), check Amazon for freebies. They generally have quite a selection, a combination of new/indie authors and frequently you can find the first book in a series by an established author.
♥ Consider book length when making your selection This challenge is only one book, but since so many of our members tend to participate in multiple challenges and read a lot of books in a month, you might want to discuss whether or not you want/need to try to find a shorter book to read.
♥ Above all, BE WILLING TO COMPROMISE! You've given a general idea of what you like to read, but within that there is still a wide range of options, so please be flexible. I wouldn't expect someone to read something that is completely outside their comfort zone (like asking someone who doesn't read m/m to read it for this challenge), but conversely, you must be willing to consider books that may not be right at the top of your short list.

FAQ:

message 3: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2018 12:42PM) (new)

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Jul 19, 2018 08:20PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7115 comments **

message 5: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments Me, me, me! I read both m/f and m/m. Contemporary is probably my favorite genre with PNR in second. =)

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments Im in.
MM only any genre

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1381 comments I'm in again.

m/f only. Mostly contemporary. I like historical and romantic suspense as well.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenlees) | 859 comments hello! i would like to be in please :) this is my first time though!

i read exclusively m/f. i would say my order is: contemporary, paranormal and historical, though i'm down for pretty much any kind of romance.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (mckinseya) | 164 comments I'm in!
M/F - Erotic, Romantic Suspense and YA. :)

message 10: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments I'm in!

I read m/f and m/m. Contemporary is my favorite but I'm open to historical or pnr if it's smutty, lol.

message 11: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 667 comments I’m in!
I read both m/f and m/m. Mainly contemporary. Second choice historical :)

message 12: by Wealie (new)

Wealie | 375 comments I’m in

Mostly M/F, but not adverse to M/M or F/F, but not really into multiples and harem stories.

First choice reads are paranormal romance and urban fantasy, second choice contemporary, third historical.

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1065 comments I'm in.

m/m or m/f, any genre.

message 14: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4180 comments I'm in too. Contemporary if possible, either of the others if necessary :) m/m or m/f

message 15: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7115 comments Hey everyone! Apologies for the delay in posting pairings...unexpected company threw me off! Signups are now closed and I'll get the pairings posted as quickly as I can, probably in an hour or so.

message 16: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7115 comments Ok, pairings are posted in msg #3 and discussion threads are open in the Buddy Reads folder.

Sorry again for the delay (and I'm so glad this is a light month)!

Enjoy!

message 17: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4180 comments Karen- Chiara and I are going to read Royally Screwed!

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (mckinseya) | 164 comments Fran wrote: "I'm in!

I read m/f and m/m. Contemporary is my favorite but I'm open to historical or pnr if it's smutty, lol."

Hey Fran!
I have some options.. let me know if you are interested in any, or have any other suggestions..
Strictly Off Limits: A Forbidden Romance
Novella

Getting Schooled
The Baumgartners Plus One
Dane's Storm
Yes, Ma'am
Designed for Submission

Let me know what you think!?

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1065 comments Hi, Karen.

Lisa and I will do Conflict of Interest.

message 20: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments Hi, Samantha and I will be reading Rebel Heir!

message 21: by Wealie (last edited Aug 11, 2018 09:30PM) (new)

Wealie | 375 comments Hi Kristen and I will be reading Darkfever and it’s sequels as we’ve finished already :-D

message 22: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3552 comments I'll have to keep this in mind for next month. It looks fun.

message 23: by Wealie (new)

Wealie | 375 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I'll have to keep this in mind for next month. It looks fun."

It is, and a great way to meet new people :-D

message 24: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I'll have to keep this in mind for next month. It looks fun."

Crash a group is one of the books strikes your fancy! =P

message 25: by Wealie (new)

Wealie | 375 comments MountainKat wrote: "Sassafrass wrote: "I'll have to keep this in mind for next month. It looks fun."

Crash a group is one of the books strikes your fancy! =P"

Good idea, happy for you to join Kristen and I reading DarkFever if you want?

message 26: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments Ashley and I will be reading Walk of Shame.

You are welcome to join us Sass if you are interested in this one :)

message 27: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments Change of plans!

Ashley and I will be reading Mistletoe, Baby.

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (mckinseya) | 164 comments Fran wrote: "Change of plans!

Ashley and I will be reading Mistletoe, Baby."

Thanks Fran!

message 29: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1059 comments RATS I missed this one!!! Grrrr....
Alright... I'll stalk for next month..

message 30: by Wealie (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:52PM) (new)

Wealie | 375 comments Sonja wrote: "RATS I missed this one!!! Grrrr....
Alright... I'll stalk for next month.."

Sonja - Kristen and I are reading DarkFever, and will be chatting through the first 7 chapters on Friday if you want to crash our read :-D