YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir - Restarting April 7th 2022

Comments Showing 1-50 of 243 (243 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments I am finishing up my book right now, so I am hopefully going to start this book in about a day or two!

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments Feel free to go at your own pace!

Mara (mara97) | 468 comments Will do! Think I will start today as I have nothing going on as of now.

Mara (mara97) | 468 comments Start today turned into 4 days later, but I finally started! (I hope it's detailed enough, I put it behind spoilers just in case).

27% [Part I] (view spoiler)

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments Part 1: (view spoiler)

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments 57% (view spoiler)

Mara (mara97) | 468 comments 52% (view spoiler)

Mara (mara97) | 468 comments 76% (view spoiler)

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments 73% (view spoiler)

message 11: by Mara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mara (mara97) | 468 comments 100% (view spoiler)

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments Finished! Read my review here https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85714 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting April 1st 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 14: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Started! I think I'm just going to update for each part and anytime anything shocking happens :)

Kelly | 1373 comments I started the audiobook :)

message 16: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Kelly wrote: "I started the audiobook :)"

I have both the audio and physical so I may switch between the two to get it done faster :)

Kelly | 1373 comments Shar wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I started the audiobook :)"

I have both the audio and physical so I may switch between the two to get it done faster :)"

I tried a long time ago to listen to it at 2x speed but I didn't manage to follow and didn't remember anything so I'm listening to it at 1.5x now and it's great :).

Also, I'm a bit scared of this book because I think I heard the characters are going through a lot in this series? Mmh we'll see. I finished chapter 10 now. (view spoiler)

Katie | 3240 comments I also started the audio book! 12% done!

message 19: by Shar (last edited Apr 01, 2019 10:43PM) (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Chapter 10: (view spoiler)

message 20: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Part One: (view spoiler)

message 21: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 2376 comments Restarting this one tonight

message 22: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Chapter Twenty Two: (view spoiler)

Kelly | 1373 comments Part One: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Kelly (last edited Apr 02, 2019 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly | 1373 comments Chapter 16 (view spoiler)

Kelly | 1373 comments Shar wrote: "Chapter Twenty Two: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Kelly wrote: "Shar wrote: "Chapter Twenty Two: [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Up to chapter 9, but I am not sure how I feel about it yet. I really like Elias and Laia but nothing to great has happened yet.

message 28: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Chapter Twenty Six: (view spoiler)

message 29: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Chapter Thirty Six: (view spoiler)

message 30: by Shar (last edited Apr 03, 2019 09:38PM) (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Finished: (view spoiler)

Kelly | 1373 comments Are you planning on reading the sequel this month Shar?

message 32: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Not really planned anything at this stage. If you wanna br the sequel with me this month then I’d definitely be down for that. It can be next month too if you want :)

message 33: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Btw if you are in the monthly challenge I noticed that this book was also first published in april so its +8 bonus points

message 34: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Chapter 13 (view spoiler)

Kelly | 1373 comments Shar wrote: "Btw if you are in the monthly challenge I noticed that this book was also first published in april so its +8 bonus points"

Awesome. I didn't notice before. Thanks !

As for the sequel, it depends on how I feel after I finish it. I'll let you know :)

message 36: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Kelly wrote: "Shar wrote: "Btw if you are in the monthly challenge I noticed that this book was also first published in april so its +8 bonus points"

Awesome. I didn't notice before. Thanks !

As for the sequel..."

All goods. Just let me know when you're done and if you wanna read the sequel we can sort out a date and if not then I'll be happy to read it on my own hahaha :)

message 37: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Chapter 22 (view spoiler)

message 38: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Also I plan on reading the next book as well, but probably wont be able to until about the 7th. I am still only at 51% so I need time to finish

message 39: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Courtney wrote: "Also I plan on reading the next book as well, but probably wont be able to until about the 7th. I am still only at 51% so I need time to finish"

No rush :) We can plan a br anytime for it

message 40: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Shar wrote: "Chapter Twenty Six: [spoilers removed]"

Same. I am on chapter 30 and I still cant wrap my head around it.

message 41: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Chapter 33 (view spoiler)

message 42: by Courtney (last edited Apr 03, 2019 08:27PM) (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Shar wrote: "Chapter Thirty Six: [spoilers removed]"

I think so too. (view spoiler)

Kelly | 1373 comments Chapter 34 (view spoiler)

Kelly | 1373 comments Chapter 38 (view spoiler)

Kelly | 1373 comments Chapter 44 (view spoiler)

message 46: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Kelly wrote: "Chapter 44 [spoilers removed]"

Same, but I was hoping for a different outcome.

message 47: by Courtney (last edited Apr 04, 2019 11:44AM) (new) - added it

Courtney | 11474 comments Finished. (view spoiler)

message 48: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Kelly wrote: "Chapter 44 [spoilers removed]"

I guessed that but I hoped Helene would have gotten it instead.

message 49: by Shar (new) - added it

Shar (fictionalshar) | 959 comments Kelly wrote: "Chapter 34 [spoilers removed]"

I think she is almost made to be liked at first and then disliked and then liked again once you understand her reasoning.

Kelly | 1373 comments Finished - (view spoiler)

I'm interested in reading the sequel but I won't be able to start before the 14th I think (I'm limited with Scribd audiobooks :(

« previous 1 3 4 5