What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy series - reincarnation, elemental magic, battle between light and dark, romance. Main character is a man whose wife & child died suspiciously, he's a hunter. Ice/snow theme. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S (last edited Jul 13, 2018 07:16PM) (new)

S | 1 comments I’m looking for a high fantasy novel (the first in a series) I read sometime in 2008 — 2010. It involved romance, reincarnation, magic (with a focus on elements) and a cyclical “light vs dark” battle. Spoilers below.

The main character was a man whose wife and child had died suspiciously (I think in a fire) and the people of his village treated him as an outsider. He was a hunter who had an affinity for animals and could somewhat communicate with them. I remember it being deep winter and the protagonist remorsefully using his power to hunt animals for meagre food.

As the novel progressed, it was discovered he was the reincarnation of a “guardian” of sorts, prophesised to prevent the destruction of the world in repeating cycles. These “guardians” also had “protectors” — a person who would reincarnate with them every cycle, and with whom they were forbidden to have a romantic relationship. In the last cycle, the male protagonist had been a female with a male protector, and they’d fallen in love despite the rules preventing them from doing so. They’d failed to stop the cataclysm of their world and in the end the male snapped the female’s neck to spare her the horror of the their impending deaths.

In their current reincarnations, the protector had been born a female — she remembered their past life and was still in obsessive love with the protagonist. She killed his wife and child out of jealousy, and expected the protagonist to love her in return.

This was the “ice/snow” themed novel of the series, and I think the next one was focused on “fire”.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36597 comments Mod
S, I added some plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

How does the theme of ice/snow figure into the story?

message 3: by K.L. (new)

K.L. | 72 comments This sounds really familiar. Is it possibly one of Brandon Sandersons books?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40658 comments Mod
S, are you still looking for this or did you find it?