The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Extra Tall Paperbacks? What do you think about them?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments What does everybody think about the new style of paperbacks that are about two inches taller but no wider than regular paperbacks? I've decided I hate them and will never buy a book that is in that format. I just don't like how it feels in my hands--it seems to take even more effort to keep the book open.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I haven't been book shopping recently but, I have bought a few books about that size in the past and I'm not fond of them. I'm not adverse to buying them, but they do feel really strange. Trade/hardback and paperbacks are very comfortable shapes.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments They really mess up the whole look of my bookshelves...lol!

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz I have a mixture of paperbacks and hardbacks and acadmeic books. I like it when my series editions match, but otherwise I honestly just try and stick my books onto my shelves however they will fit.

Petra kissed a toad and he kissed her back (petra-x) I hate them. They don't fit any of my wire racks and a new rack is going to cost me $200+

message 6: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I hate them as well, I have a series going and it's got three normal sized paperbacks and two long ones. I hate how it looks. They do seem to be more of an effort to hold comfortably as well.

message 7: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments If we're talking MMPBs, I like them to be the same size so I can double stack them on my bookshelf, so when some are different sizes it's irritating.

message 8: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Hall (merdi15) | 4 comments I like them. They are easier to read at the gym.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Meredith wrote: "I like them. They are easier to read at the gym."

good point. I get large print books from the library when I can to take to the gym. (well, when I actually go, haha)

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments Allison wrote: "Meredith wrote: "I like them. They are easier to read at the gym."

good point. I get large print books from the library when I can to take to the gym. (well, when I actually go, haha)"

I never thought of that, great idea!

message 11: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments I've seen these before and find them a bit weird.
How are they easier to read at the gym?

message 12: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Hall (merdi15) | 4 comments Kris wrote: "I've seen these before and find them a bit weird.
How are they easier to read at the gym?"

They rest easier on the eliptical/treadmill. If you get a binder clip and put them in the slots they give you for book on the machines you don't have to hold them at all. It's great!

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo I hate it when all my books arent the same height! I have one (but its a hardcover) that is too tall for my shelf so i have to lay it on its side

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I don't like them. I'm sure it's just a matter of them being unfamiliar, but the page just looks wrong when you look inside. I prefer trades or HBs, but if I have to buy a paperback, I want the traditional size.

Does anyone know if there's an actual reason for the new size?

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna | 137 comments I've heard they are supposed to be easier for more "mature" hands to hold and the type is supposed to be bigger, also for the more "mature" eyes. Also they are supposed to be easier to read on transportation; trains, planes, etc and while exercising.

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have to say, I have not noticed the type being larger, which would be a selling point for me. I guess I'll have to look a little closer.

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna | 137 comments Yes, I have not noticed larger type either so I am not sure what is going on there.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Yet to see them. Not looking forward to it, from what y'all say.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments I like the new size in the paperbacks.

message 20: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I feel a bit indifferent towards the new size...I also heard something along the same lines as Donna re: why they changed the format. Sure, it does look a bit odd compared to the other mass paperbacks I own, but I guess because I don't own too many in the new format that I'm cool with it xD

message 21: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 193 comments Hey Folks,

The main reason they changed the format was to charge US$2 more per book.

Also the reading public is aging so there is some slight truth to the idea that the larger type is to make MMPBs more accessible to people whose eyesight is weakening.

Personally, I liked the old size better.

message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna | 137 comments I was in our local bookstore last night and I compared a few of the old and new size books and there is a good bit of variation in both sizes. The newer size did seem to have a tiny bit bigger print but the big difference I saw was the space between the lines of type. The older size has the lines closer together while in the newer they are farther apart which did seem easier to read.