The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 50.1 - Julia103's Task: Do-Re-Mi

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jul 15, 2018 05:28AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5358 comments Mod
50.1 - Julia103's Task: Do Re Mi

One of my favorite musicals is The Sound of Music. This task is based on the song "Do-Re-Mi" where Maria teaches the Von Trapp children the basics of singing. Here's a link to the song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33ZQ...

This is a 3 book task. The three books must have a combined page total of at least 750 pages. No books with the main page genre childrens or kids may be used.

Book 1: Read a book where the first word of the title starts with one of the solfege syllables: DO, RE, MI, FA, SOL, LA or TI. All words count.

Examples: Double Indemnity (DO), Ready Player One (RE), Miss Buncle's Book (MI), Farthing (FA).

Won't work: The Double Helix, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, A Million Miles Away, 100 Facts about Pandas

Book 2: Read a book whose title/subtitle includes one of following words used in the song:
DOE, RAY, ME, FAR, SEW, LA, or TEA
The word must match exactly, and must stand alone.

Examples: Sew Deadly (SEW), Looking for La La (LA), Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time (TEA).

Won't work: The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary and Sewing Circle, L.A. Confidential, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

NOTE: The word used in the title/subtitle of book 2 need not be related to the initial syllable used for book 1, and the word need not have the same meaning as in the song.

Book 3: Read a book where the author's first name matches one of the Von Trapp children or the English equivalent given in parentheses. Names must match exactly - no variations. A book with multiple authors works if one of the authors matches one of the listed names.

Liesl (Lisa)
Friedrich (Frederick)
Louisa (Louise)
Kurt (Curt)
Brigitta (Bridget)
Marta (Martha)
Gretl (Gretel or Greta)

Examples: A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan; LaRose by Louise Erdrich.

Won't work: My Berlin Kitchen: A Love Story (with Recipes) by Luisa Weiss; Maids of Misfortune by M. Louisa Locke.

message 2: by Julia (last edited Jul 20, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1985 comments Not approved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5358 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7910 comments congrats Julia! I was worried after first, but I managed to multiple books that fit just in my epic amazon archives :)

message 6: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments I have Mine
Tea & Comfort
LaRose

in option order

message 7: by Julia (last edited Jul 15, 2018 02:01PM) (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1985 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "I have Mine
Tea & Comfort
LaRose

in option order"

The edition of Tea & Comfort that you linked to doesn't have the number of pages. Please ask a librarian to add the page numbers.

Other than that it looks good! (Syllable/word/name are fine)

Julia

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7910 comments Julia wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "I have Mine
Tea & Comfort
LaRose

in option order"

The edition of Tea & Comfort that you linked to doesn't have t..."

added the page count :)

message 9: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Julia wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "I have Mine
Tea & Comfort
LaRose

in option order"

The edition of Tea & Comfort that you linked to doesn't have t..."

thanks i will check and make sure about the page numbers Julia

message 10: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Dee wrote: "Julia wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "I have Mine
Tea & Comfort
LaRose

in option order"

The edition of Tea & Comfort that you linked to ..."

thanks Dee

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4256 comments Here are my three in option order:
Last Train to Istanbul - LA
Meet Me at the Cupcake Café - ME
The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny - Louise

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments To get this straight in my head, "The word used in the title/subtitle of book 2 need not be related to the initial syllable used for book 1, and the word need not have the same meaning as in the song."

But it can be related/same meaning...?

message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1985 comments Bea wrote: "Here are my three in option order:
Last Train to Istanbul - LA
Meet Me at the Cupcake Café - ME
The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny - ..."

Looks good!

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1985 comments Valerie wrote: "To get this straight in my head, "The word used in the title/subtitle of book 2 need not be related to the initial syllable used for book 1, and the word need not have the same meaning as in the so..."

Yes, it can be related but does not need to be.

What you choose for Book 2 is independent of what you choose for Book 1. (If you choose a book whose title starts with DO for Book 1, you aren't limited to only choosing a book with the word DOE for Book 2.)

The second part of the note means, for example, someone could read The Stories of Ray Bradbury or A Little Ray of Sunshine for Book 2 since "Ray" is in both titles, even though in the first book "Ray" is a name rather than related to a ray of sunlight. (The song lyric is "Ray, a drop of golden sun").

Does that help?

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments Julia wrote: "Valerie wrote: "To get this straight in my head, "The word used in the title/subtitle of book 2 need not be related to the initial syllable used for book 1, and the word need not have the same mean..."

Yes thank you Julia!

message 16: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments Congratulations Julia, Great task about an even greater movie!

My clarification is for book 3. Just to be clear the names in the brackets work as well as the first name so a name by a Lisa or a Martha is OK?

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1985 comments Sheila wrote: "Congratulations Julia, Great task about an even greater movie!

My clarification is for book 3. Just to be clear the names in the brackets work as well as the first name so a name by a Lisa or a Ma..."

Yes, the name can be an exact match of either the name before the parentheses or the name within the parentheses, but no other variations. Lisa and Martha both work.

message 18: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments Thank you

Lost Planet Airman | 179 comments I really like this, it is challenging but I have still found a number of options!

Checking on La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman for either book 1 or book 2.

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1985 comments Mike wrote: "I really like this, it is challenging but I have still found a number of options!

Checking on La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman for either book 1 or book 2."

Yes, the title starts with LA so it fits book 1 and La is a standalone word so it fits book 2.

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3043 comments I wanted to check on Double Identity for option 1

message 22: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1985 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I wanted to check on Double Identity for option 1"

Yes, the title starts with DO so this works.

message 23: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3043 comments thank you, I just wanted to make sure.