Start by marking “The Stories of Ray Bradbury” as Want to Read:
The Stories of Ray Bradbury

The Stories of Ray Bradbury

Included here are famous tales like Sound of Thunder, in which the carelessness of a group of time-travellers leads to disastrous consequences, and The Veldt, in which two seemingly innocent young children transform their nursery into a lethal trap.

Here are the Martian stories, tales that vividly animate the red planet with its brittle cities and double-mooned sky. Here ar

Published October 12th 1980 by Knopf (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Stories of Ray Bradbury, please sign up.
Bruno Pinto This Everyman's Library collection includes seven stories of The Martian Chronicles (out of a total of twenty-six). They are: There Will Come Soft…moreThis Everyman's Library collection includes seven stories of The Martian Chronicles (out of a total of twenty-six). They are: There Will Come Soft Rains, The Third Expedition (under the title Mars Is Heaven), The Silent Towns, The Earth Men, The Off Season, The Million-Year Picnic and The Fire Balloons.(less)

Sookie
Bradbury's short stories are quick reads. The story starts from the very first sentence setting up minimal context and in most of the stories, he holds off on the punch line till the very end - the factor that changes the tone of the story completely. With this style in place and the way he titles the story, the narration is already half there. Witty, colloquial and often banter styled dialogues moves the stories very fast to an eventual conclusion. Even in this small space, he insists on start- ...more
Eryn
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Short-story lovers
3.75

All right... I'm not going to sit here and say I read this whole thing, because I didn't. However, I read the majority of it and from what I read, it was pretty good! Now, I'm not much of a short-story reader because I love getting to know characters and their backgrounds and whatnot's, and you just can't do that with short-stories. Regardless, there were a few really good one's in here that actually made me feel concerned for the characters. So that was cool.

On the flip-side, there were a
Richard
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of vintage SF and fantasy
This has many good stories in it. although some are better than others.

Some of the science fiction tales are still enjoyable while others haven't held up as well over time. For instance the stories set on Mars convey a feeling of desolation and insidious, insanity-inducing weirdness which still works for me, in spite of details which may have been proven wrong by subsequent scientific discovery. The Venus stories, on the other hand, are a little too out to left field: this planet is presented a
Manuel Antão
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1980
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Walter Mitty: "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" by Ray Bradbury

(Original Review, 1980-11-16)

There are two ways to look at the work of Ray Bradbury. One is to remember how it was: to return to the old friends of youth, when these stories were beautiful, perceptive and spoke of important things. The other is to look at them as they are now: elegant, but a little shallow; obvious; sentimentalized. To do the latter is to deny the child still w
Dagio_maya
Cento racconti che non è possibile riassumere ed elencare come fosse una lista della spesa.
Taglio, incollo e sistemo qui una parte dei numerosi appunti che ho preso in quasi tre mesi di lettura.
Ovviamente non mi sono piaciuti tutti allo stesso modo (alcuni per niente) ma l’emozione di molti tra loro e le affermazioni che Bradbury ha fatto nell’introduzione e nell’intervista riportata accendono senza dubbio, per me, le
★★★★★

Quattro parole

Fantascienza, vampiri, fantastico, infanzia: ecco le quatt
Rachel M
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I remember reading the work of a writer who writes like no other person. So many writers are "like" Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Joyce Carol Oates, etc, and we read them because we've run out of the real thing. Ray Bradbury is only like himself. He puts things in a way no one else could put them. Primarily, his creativity and his prose glimmers real. He is the reason I was drawn to read in the first place: to visit other worlds.

The story that blew me awa
Nostalgiaplatz
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: racconti
Ah, Ray!
Vorrei ricordarmi quando ti ho conosciuto. Per alcuni autori che amo in maniera particolare è così: rammento il primo incontro, o almeno quello che mi ha fatto innamorare di loro. Con te no.
Avrò preso qualche tuo libro in una bancarella dell’usato? O l’avrò trovato nell’alloggio dove andavo a passare le vacanze millemila anni fa? Oppure avevo letto qualcosa su un’antologia scolastica? Buio totale.
Ma non è poi così importante; l’importante è che, dopo tanti anni, io abbia ancora nuovi tuo
Vishy
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book nearly a month back. It is a chunkster at nearly 900 pages, but still I didn't think it would take so long. But I refused to give up or get distracted by other shiny new books, and I persisted. Yesterday, when I read the last word, on the last page, I was very happy and thrilled.

I have always thought that Ray Bradbury was a science fiction writer. I hadn't read any of his stories or books when I thought that. Then one of my friends who was a huge fan of Bradbury intr
Nathan Kamal
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ray Bradbury is my favorite author. His use of descriptive language and non-conventional character development and plot are what makes him to be one of the best science fiction writers of all time.
The Stories of Ray Bradbury captures the very essence of what makes him so brilliant. The book features a methodical mix of both long and short stories that give the reader great choice. A Bradbury short story can take anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour to read. Bradbury, more than any other auth
Yorgos St.
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a masterful collection. The epitome of the classic. It deserves to be in every library, to be cherished forever. The Lake is one of the saddest stories i have ever read and it came back to haunt me in my dreams. I can clearly see the influence that Bradbury has on Neil Gaiman. Highly recommended!
Helen
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm ashamed to confess that I've never read Farenheit 451. (My seventh grader made a video book report for class, and viewing it is as far as I've gotten.)

These stories are SO GOOD. I'm more of a science-fiction-is-a-metaphor-for-our-times reader than a lightyears-and-technology science fiction reader, and I didn't know what to expect. Stylistically, his writing is just beautiful. Many times, I caught my breath at a turn of phrase, a heart-wrenchingly familiar characterization, a sentence that
Jason
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An old housemate I had scratched with an indelible marker a paragraph out a story called Kaleidoscope on his bedroom wall.
"What's that?" I asked.
He showed me this gigantic book. I read the story. Men were drifting into the oblivion of space as it began. One of the men told the captain how he had betrayed him, and now there was nothing either of them could do about it. Another struggled to fasten the valve on his wrist because a meteor had calmly ripped away his left hand. One man had gone mad
Will Thomas
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Master died this week, and the world is a lesser place. I have a list of people who should never have been allowed to die, and now Ray Bradbury joins Leonard Bernstein, Victor Borge, and Jim Henson.

I bought this book in 1983, and I bought a second copy to give to my best friend. When I married her in 1989, suddenly I had two copies in my possession!

Here is magic. Bradbury made magic when he wrote. He could bring tears to my eyes for sheer beauty. Read "The April Witch". Read "The Picasso Sum
Marvin
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed, fantasy
There may have been other Bradbury anthologies since this huge (100 stories!!!) 1980 collection, but I sincerely doubt any could be half as fine as this one. This is the ultimate collection of Bradbury's short fiction including nearly every important tale from this seminal American writer. It also includes a terrific introduction by the author titled "Drunk, and in Charge of a Bicycle".
Evans Light
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite single book of all time...this specific edition. No filler or lesser works in sight. Pure gold.
Raj
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, sci-fi
I'm not really sure how to even start with a review of this book, with its table of contents stretching to three pages. And even taking three months to read it was too short a time. Bradbury shorts need to be read slowly and savoured. I binged a bit here.

There are Martian stories in this collection, there are Mexican stories, Irish stories, stories about the supernatural Family and the joys of childhood. There are the famous stories (A Sound of Thunder, The Fog Horn etc) and so many more.

There a
VanHalen
Nov 22, 2008 is currently reading it
I have not yet finished this book, but feel that some commentary is needed on it.

I have been reading this book for about 3 years now.
1) because it is 884 pages long
2) because it is nothing but short stories
3) because I love it

I find that when I read too many short stories in a row, I begin to think of them as separate chapters in a connected book, and don't pay the proper attention to each story as its own entity, so I force myself to read a couple then set the book down.

I can easily start argum
Sheila
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Man, I love Ray Bradbury. I really, really do. But I couldn't get through a lot of the stories in this collection. Too many choices, maybe? It's a honkin big book. Maybe these were mostly B sides? I didn't recognize a good many of them. Not in the right mood, perhaps? Entirely possible.

2 stars. But I don't blame Bradbury. I blame myself.
Rebecca McNutt
Ray Bradbury's stories are always timeless and brilliant. I've never read anything like them in my entire life.
Matheus Gonçalves
Ler esse livro em qualquer outro momento da minha vida não teria sido a mesma experiência.

Dentre os contos destaco "O Lixeiro", "A Autêntica Múmia Egípcia Feita em Casa" e a "A Cidade Inteira Dorme".
Martin
I don't remember exactly when it was that I started this book (10 to 12 months ago, in all likelihood). Like all short story collections, this needs to be enjoyed slowly. And like all such collections, some stories will be more interesting than others, depending on the reader. So in a collection such as this one - with one hundred different stories - everyone is sure to find something to like.

In my case, there were twenty-nine stories that I really liked, a handful that I disliked and couldn't w
Kristina
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs
Mr. Bradbury is my favorite author and always has been. I recommend reading his short story collections individually but this compilation is my all-time favorite. It contains the story, “The October Game” which seems to be becoming harder and harder to find. Overall great selection and phenomenal anytime reading.
Bobby Underwood
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply the quintessential Bradbury collection of short stories. Some are better than others, but by and large all are good, with some being so fabulous that you remember them always. A must for anyone who loves to read.
Nicole Aziz
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
holy wow. Bradbury’s imagination is insane. not even the types of stories, but also the themes, the way he presents his ideas, just everything. It’s crazy to think that this book is 800+ pages long. he has THAT much to share. that much creativity. so I’ve only read 10 stories from this collection, although I will definitely read more in the future. I have read: The Veldt, Kaleidoscope, The Coffin, The Night, The Lake, The Rocket Man, The Last Night of the World, No Particular Night or Morning, M ...more
Arvid Jakobsson
Kandidat att ta med till en öde ö (eller öde planet i det här fallet). Som i alla antologier är inte alla nummer lika bra, men Bradbury har en mycket hög lägstanivå. Ren fröjd att läsa.
Geoff
Sometimes an author relates to you in such a way that you feel its impossible. Like he's inside your brain, tinkering with clockwork gears and machinery, the stuff that makes you tick. That accurate. That close to home.
When I picked up this book, the same one with that terrible 80's coverart, I'm sitting in a library, leafing my way through the enormous (and ridiculous) science fiction section. Science fiction, to me, had always seemed a little ridiculous. Not that I disliked it as a genre, bu
Dara Salley
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Christopher Buckley, who wrote the introduction to this collection of stories, I also discovered Ray Bradbury when I was young. I think that Bradbury’s stories are destined to appeal to a certain type of young reader, one with poetic sensibilities, a feeling of melancholy and a hidden interest in the macabre. Revisiting his stories as a more mature reader, I think they lose a little of their magic. The twist endings are not as surprising and the homey 1950’s Americana is less palatable, unl ...more
Mikel
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Mikel by: good fortune
I have physical, tangible memories of this book. I know I read it first in summer because I remember exactly how it felt to go from the humidity and heat outside into the almost too cool air of my town library. I remember also walking behind the central circulation desk rather than turning left, starting to look at books for adults and older readers rather than the children's/young reader books I was used to. I remember finding this on the shelves and looking up specifically "I Sing the Body Ele ...more
David
A couple of years ago, I was wandering through the annual book sale held by my town's library when I found this treasure. It only cost me $2. 884 pages of short stories for $2! A steal. A crime!

This collection of 100 short stories from 1943 to 1980 has been a joy to read. I've been able to re-connect with old favorites and discover new (to me) ones. It's like stepping back in time, to when the library stacks were tall and hallowed.

In this collection you'll find a wide variety of stories spanni
Craig
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best collection of Bradbury's stories -- from the Dark Ferris (the genesis of "Something Wicked this way Comes")to his hilarious vampire stories (a dysfunctional family who just happens to be vampire -- my favorite is "Uncle Einar") to "Homecoming," "There Will Come Soft Rains," "The Fog Horn," and one of my personal favorites, "The Scythe," which explains the origins of the 'grim reaper.' I think Bradbury's short fiction, not King's, will be remembered in 100 years. Bradbury will b ...more
Story by Ray Bradbury about rain 6 5 Apr 22, 2019 07:27AM
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Pick - Stories of Ray Bradbury 3 17 Oct 15, 2013 07:31AM
  • The Essential Ellison
  • From These Ashes: The Complete Short SF of Fredric Brown
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • Threshold (The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, Vol 1)
  • Collected Stories
  • Collected Stories, Vol. 2
  • Untouched By Human Hands
  • Shirley & The Professor
  • The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds
Ray Douglas Bradbury, American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at ...more
“This is the kind of life I've had. Drunk, and in charge of a bicycle, as an Irish police report once put it. Drunk with life, that is, and not knowing where off to next. But you're on your way before dawn. And the trip? Exactly one half terror, exactly one half exhilaration.” 7 likes