Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Mistake I Made
This topic is about The Mistake I Made
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Daly, Paula--The Mistake I Made informal buddy read starts July 18, 2018

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31634 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Mistake I Made by Paula Daly.

Synopsis
The Mistake I Made is the latest page-turner from one of the England’s most captivating new thriller writers. In her provocative and riveting third novel, Paula Daly focuses her masterful eye for psychological suspense and family drama on an indecent proposal that has fatal repercussions.

Single mother Roz has a reached breaking-point. After the dissolution of her marriage, Roz’s business has gone under, debts are racking up, the rent is late (again), and she's struggling to provide for her nine-year-old son, who is starting to misbehave in school. Roz is in trouble. Real trouble.

When Roz returns home from work one day and finds an eviction notice, she knows that it’s time for action—she has two weeks to find a solution otherwise they will be kicked out of their home. Increasingly desperate, Roz doesn’t know where to turn. Then the perfect opportunity presents itself. At her sister’s fortieth birthday party, Roz meets Scott Elias—wealthy, powerful, and very married. But the impression Roz leaves on him is indelible. He tracks her down and makes Roz an offer to spend the night with him—for money. He wants no-strings-attached intimacy and can guarantee total discretion. Could it be as simple as it sounds? With that kind of cash, Roz could clear her debts and get her life back on track. But as the situation spirals out of her control, Roz is forced to do things she never thought herself capable of. Can she ever set things right again?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

es

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Geri | 2042 comments I’ll be back!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Checking in!

Brooke | 1199 comments I've got this downloaded and ready to go for this week!

Geri | 2042 comments I read through chapter 16 last night. The first 10 chapters or so weren’t all that exciting. Mostly backstory. But I don’t think I have read a book about a massage therapist before.

I don’t know what to think about Scott yet. (view spoiler)

Then there is Henry. (view spoiler)

And then there is Wayne. (view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments You are speedy, Geri. :-)

I have to finish Day Shift tonight, and then I'll start this one. I should be able to wrap up Day Shift this evening, although I have a lot of life stuff to do tonight as well. I have family visiting tomorrow night through Sunday unexpectedly, though, so my reading time might be limited. Maybe my dad will tire early due to the awful heat here so I can get some good reading time in nightly before bed.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I 'm trying the audio for this but ... as its my first audio its really going horribly! I'm going to have to get a physical copy.

message 10: by Brooke (last edited Jul 19, 2018 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura, I like audiobooks but I don’t know if I could make them work for buddy reads. I like being able to refer to something in the book or look up a name I forgot which is nearly impossible with audio. I am going to give it a shot with Before I Let You Go though because I was able to borrow an audio copy. Fingers crossed.

message 11: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "You are speedy, Geri. :-)

I have to finish Day Shift tonight, and then I'll start this one. I should be able to wrap up Day Shift this evening, although I have a lot of life stuff ..."

No worries. I’ve got some stuff going on which will slow me down some. I probably won’t finish until next Monday or so. Enjoy your father’s visit!

message 12: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "I 'm trying the audio for this but ... as its my first audio its really going horribly! I'm going to have to get a physical copy."

Audiobooks can be great. I love listening while I do chores or cook. Makes the work more fun for me. But it does take getting used to. My husband cannot multi task like that. But I have been doing it for years. The narrator is important too. The narrator for this book isn’t the best!

message 13: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Read through chapter 30. It is getting more interesting!

Scott (view spoiler)

Henry (view spoiler)

Wayne (view spoiler)

The book description says the book is a psychological thriller. But the writing is too light and general to be suspenseful or dark. It’s a fast read, though. And I will try to finish on Monday.

message 14: by Brooke (last edited Jul 21, 2018 08:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Brooke | 1199 comments I've only made it through chapter 7

Roz (view spoiler)

Wayne (view spoiler)

Scott (view spoiler)

Petra (view spoiler)

I've also never read a story featuring a massage therapist. (view spoiler)

My dad and brother's family are all leaving town after brunch tomorrow, so my current plan for tomorrow is to relax on my sofa with a book. It is too hot to do much else these days!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments My copy didn't come in yet. I ve been buying a few books so I'll come back when my copy comes in.

message 16: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "I've only made it through chapter 7

Roz [spoilers removed]

Wayne [spoilers removed]

Scott [spoilers removed]

Petra [spoilers removed]

I've also never read a story featuring a massage therapist..."

Your ex was a massage therapist. What a good deal that had to be! (view spoiler)

Petra (view spoiler)

message 17: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "My copy didn't come in yet. I ve been buying a few books so I'll come back when my copy comes in."

What did you think of the other books you read by this author, Laura? Were they psychological thrillers too? I am not finding this one dark or suspenseful.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I really liked them; which is why I wanted to read this one. Is it a dud?

message 19: by Brooke (last edited Jul 22, 2018 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Brooke | 1199 comments Chapters 8-18

Wayne (view spoiler)

Roz (view spoiler)

Petra (view spoiler)

Scott (view spoiler)

Geri: I agree about Henry. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Do either of you like Colleen Hoover? I'm setting up a buddy read for her new book this week if you want to join in.

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Do either of you like Colleen Hoover? I'm setting up a buddy read for her new book this week if you want to join in."

I've never read anything by Hoover. I have a solid reading list for the next couple of weeks. If I have some free evenings and get through them faster than planned I'll check it out!

Brooke | 1199 comments Chapters 19-32

Wayne (view spoiler)

Scott (view spoiler)

Henry: (view spoiler)

Roz: (view spoiler)

This is my first book by Daly, so I don't know her style. (view spoiler)

message 23: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Finished! Scott (view spoiler)

Henry (view spoiler)

message 24: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "Chapters 8-18

Wayne [spoilers removed]

Roz [spoilers removed]

Petra [spoilers removed]

Scott [spoilers removed]

Geri: I agree about Henry. [spoilers removed]"

Oh, I wish you had written the story, Brooke! The ideas you had for Wayne were much more interesting than what Daly wrote!

message 25: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "Chapters 19-32

Wayne [spoilers removed]

Scott [spoilers removed]

Henry: [spoilers removed]

Roz: [spoilers removed]

This is my first book by Daly, so I don't know her style. [spoilers removed]"

About Daly’s writing. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Do either of you like Colleen Hoover? I'm setting up a buddy read for her new book this week if you want to join in."

I’ve read a few books by Hoover. But don’t think I can fit another book in this week!

This book wasn’t for me! I haven’t read anything else by Daly so I can’t compare it to the others. I didn’t like any of the characters. And never felt any chemistry between them. This was supposed to be a psychological thriller. But it wasn’t done very well.

If you do read the book, let me know. I’ll come back to discuss with you.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Oh that doesn't sound good! Sorry you guys didn't like it.

Brooke | 1199 comments I finished this yesterday. Overall a 2.5 star read because I think Daly could have done so much more with the characters and a couple of the storylines.

The ending: (view spoiler)

message 29: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "I finished this yesterday. Overall a 2.5 star read because I think Daly could have done so much more with the characters and a couple of the storylines.

The ending: [spoilers removed]"

I didn’t like the ending. I also did not think Roz deserved a HEA. There seems to be a trend in mystery thrillers where most of the characters are so unlikeable. I definitely don’t like it!

message 30: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Oh that doesn't sound good! Sorry you guys didn't like it."

Not anything you did, Laura. You didn’t write it! LOL Sometimes that is the way it goes. Makes me appreciate it when I read a good book.

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Part 1-5 - Chapter 1-30

I am definitely captivated to say the least.
I jumped into the book without reading the blurb, so when the curve ball of (view spoiler) happened, I was definitely surprised.

I liked the backstory and how it all progressed right up to that point. While Roz isn't necessarily a favorite or a likable character, I certainly understand her story and the reasons for her actions.

Scott, on the other hand, (view spoiler)

That is sort of my qualm with almost all the male characters in the book. (view spoiler)

But either way, the story is compelling nonetheless.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Day Shift (other topics)
The Mistake I Made (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paula Daly (other topics)