Start by marking “Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)

Read Book* *Different edition

Day Shift

(Midnight, Texas #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  19,770 ratings  ·  1,933 reviews
In Midnight Crossroad, Charlaine Harris “capture[d] the same magic as the world of Bon Temps, Louisiana, and [took] it to another level" (Houston Press). Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels returns to the one-traffic-light town you see only when you’re on the way to someplace else…

There is no such thing as bad publicity, except in
Published May 5th 2015 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Day Shift, please sign up.
Vicki I love all her books......Can't wait for Day Shift. Not sure if I want it on my Kindle or a book in my hand!…moreI love all her books......Can't wait for Day Shift. Not sure if I want it on my Kindle or a book in my hand!(less)
Sara There are people from all of her series, the sherif is from the Aurora Teagarden books, Bobo is from the Lily Bard series, Manfred is from the Harper …moreThere are people from all of her series, the sherif is from the Aurora Teagarden books, Bobo is from the Lily Bard series, Manfred is from the Harper series, lots of ppl pop up from everywhere. (less)

·  19,770 ratings  ·  1,933 reviews

Start your review of Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Angels and vampires and were-tigers! Oh My!! This trilogy just gets better and better!!

This story was amaze balls! I was sad at first that Lemuel was out of town and we only get a bit of him. Then it hit me. This book is called Dayshift and the last one Nightshift. Duh! He will be prominent in the last book.

Anyhoo, in this book, Manfred goes out of town to do some face to face readings for clients. He happens to be at the same hotel as Olivia. And there are a couple of mysterious deaths surrou
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
9/30/17 - ON SALE for $1.99: http://amzn.to/2wzzDFz

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Last year I finished MIDNIGHT CROSSROAD feeling like I was just getting to know the inhabitants of Midnight, TX, and I couldn't wait to learn more about them. It took awhile to get there, but by the end I was ready for more of these mysterious small town residents.

In particular, I wanted to know more about Olivia.

I got my wish.

And I'm reminded of the old adage: be careful what you wish for . . .

SO. DAY SHIFT
Jilly
This series is one of those kind where it doesn't move all that fast, but you just enjoy hanging out with the characters. It's written in a way that doesn't annoy me when there is a lot of description of them doing basic things. It's like, he grabs some sweet tea and sits in his chair.., and I'm all, "yeah, yeah, and then what does he do?" This is so unlike me. Usually if there is a description of a room, I'm like:

*Note to self: Time to buy some razors.

But, somehow, this town, and these characte
Layla
Jan 07, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dead-to-me
Why do people rate books before they are released?
Yodamom
Book 2 in the midnight Texas trilogy
Ms. Harris has a way with characters. She can form the simplest of them into these interesting addicting beings. You just want to know them better, want to sit and share an ice tea with them. There was more to this second book, more people, more action, more mystery. She does love a slow build up, luckily so do I. This one has several shockers that amazed and surprised me. I loved it.
This book continues with the characters from book one and adds a few more to
Steven
Day Shift by Charlaine Harris
Published 2015, Ace Books
Stars: ★★★☆☆
Review also posted at: Slapdash & Sundry

Thanks to my good friend Jessica from Rabid Reads who let me read her book swag ARC. This review is honest and unbiased.

Charlaine, you naughty minx, you've done it again. You've made me wish I lived in Midnight, Texas. Regardless of the weird stuff that goes down in Midnight, I want to live there. The people seem so nice and everyone is tightknit. Just think it would be a fun place to live!

U
Sherwood Smith
Mar 24, 2015 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Received from NetGalley.

This book has not yet been published, so this review is going to reflect the reading experience more than the plot twists.

The blurb says:There is no such thing as bad publicity, except in Midnight, Texas, where the residents like to keep to themselves. Even in a town full of secretive people, Olivia Charity is an enigma. She lives with the vampire Lemuel, but no one knows what she does; they only know that she’s beautiful and dangerous.

Psychic Manfred Bernardo finds out j
Dianne
Wow, this book, the second book in the Midnight Texas trilogy (according to Ms Harris' web-site) gives us even more action than we had in book one. We have more action, but we also learn so much more about some of our favorite characters. Have you wondered what was up with the Rev? We had a good idea what he was, but not what type of what! LOL! Now we know!
I love how we are seeing characters from Sookies world –so now we have seen characters from all of Ms Harris’ series –I love this concept. Wh
Wanda
Another almost-good book to follow Midnight Crossroad. I didn’t get to see very much of the characters that truly interested me and had to endure far too much of Manfred Bernardo, who I could care less about. The mystery wasn’t very mysterious and the plot wasn’t nearly as taut as I would have liked. A lot of the action seems to be just going through the motions, with no emotional pull to speak of. Although the reader gets to know Olivia better, it still felt superficial to me because we really ...more
Hope Mueller
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the Midnight Texas group of people. I look forward to the next installment and hold out hope that she will extend beyond three books....
ALPHAreader
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wish-list
‘Day Shift’ is the second book in Charlaine Harris’s new urban fantasy series, ‘Midnight, Texas’ … which happens to be a sort of amalgamation of all her other series, featuring various secondary characters from those books.

Last year I was so thrilled with Harris’s new series, and counted ‘Midnight, Crossroad’ as one of my favourite books of 2014. This new series features Manfred Bernardo from Harris’s ‘Harper Connelly’ series, Bobo Winthrop from ‘Lily Bard’, a character called Fiji Cavanaugh ha
Elle G.
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Release Date: May 5, 2015
Genre: Paranormal. Mystery.

I love the town of Midnight Texas where all the residents have some sort of mysterious and paranormal edge to them. Each of the characters in this story as engaging and I loved how we were able to learn a bit more about them in this installment. Now, we didn't learn everything about each character in this book but I believe as the series progresses we will (at least I really hope so!).

This book is told in multiple POV's. For some, this may
Derrick
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying reading this series. Even though this is the second book in the series, I felt like I was left with more questions than answers. We did get a little more backstory on some of the characters but nowhere near enough to satisfy my curiosity. There was another little mystery to solve in this one. Again, I didn't have it figured out. I think all the "midnighters" are generally captivating. I also really enjoyed how they look out for one another as well as the town of Midnight as a ...more
Brittany
So... There's only one more book left, and I am already mad about it. I totally read this book because I heard Quinn (from the Sookie Stackhouse Series) was in it. But I am woefully depressed at his short cameo. It was cool to have Barry the Bellboy back, but I liked him less as a character in this one.

There are so many secrets to uncover and explore, and I loved getting to know more about Olivia. Even with Manfred being a bit of a meh character, it was still interesting to see some of his true
Cyndi
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book a whole lot more than I did. And I was skipping along with a “🤷🏼‍♀️ it’s ok.” Then the author introduced some of the Sookie Stackhouse gang. That’s when I felt the ‘shark being jumped.’ 🦈
It was a bit of a lame try to save the series. I like a ‘guest appearance’ to tie in two worlds now and then, but I had hoped this series would try to stand on its own a bit more. Or maybe I just got too tired of the Sookie of it all.
Dianne
Welcome back to Midnight, Texas, a smalltown with some quirky residents who like their town just the way it is, filled with magical beings, talking cats and their own set of secrets. Change is-a-coming, big business is revamping an old building to be a luxury hotel for the twenty-first century. Is this good for Midnight or is there a hidden agenda behind this new business? A new business is not the only thing to put the town on tenterhooks, there’s been a murder and a death or two that may invol ...more
Marianne
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Day Shift is the second book in the Midnight Texas trilogy by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. Residents of Midnight, Texas are concerned to learn that the old abandoned Rio Roca Fria Hotel is being refurbished. Someone is spending quite a bit on the renovation, and it is complete in record time, but why? Then a client of Manfred’s meets an unexpected end, and her son makes public accusations against the psychic. Reporters flock to Midnight and all the extra attention on their little ( ...more
Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews
Okay guys, if, like me, you haven’t read the Harper Connelly’ series and Lily Bard you may not get the excitement other may feel about this new series. Honestly, I felt that not having read those previous works, I was kinda missing out on some character history. But have no fear, not reading those other aren’t a must. Oh, and did I mention that there are Bon Temp characters as well?

Mix up some across-the-way neighbors and some unrequited love. Then throw in Harris’ trademark murder/mystery in a
Beth
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlaine Harris has a way of molding all the quirks of home town USA, adding a paranormal flare and twisting it into magical story telling.

Psychic Manfred finds himself caught up in a scandalous multiple murder mysteries, together with his neighbor Olivia, in Dallas. When the investigation follows them home, it brings unwanted attention to both Olivia's and Manfred's doors The residents of Midnight must once again rally together to keep the secrets of their little town.

Day Shift gives us more
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
This book was the perfect book to read on a chilly day snuggled under a cozy quilt.
A great,quick read with characters that I love. Looking forward to the sequel.

Elizabeth
Oh no. Only one more in the series. 😢. Oh ye, and this is for my Fall/Halloween themed reading.
Lauren
Day Shift
4 Stars

Series note: If you are new to Harris's works, I do not recommend starting with this series. There are several crossover characters from Lily Bard, Harper Connelly, Sookie Stackhouse, and even one from Aurora Teagarden. The backstories for the characters in these series add another layer of enjoyment to the books.

The tiny town of Midnight, Texas with its single stoplight and reticent residents gets an unwelcome influx of attention when Manfred Bernardo, the local medium, is invol
Hannah Cassie
MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

THE WORLD: Sooo...same as in the first book :D But if you are not familiar with the first book it is basically normal world plus supernatural creatures being out in the open. Jup, pretty much that is it. Vampires, werewolves, werepanthers, witches, psychics you name it. All are there.

CHARACTERS: So because I already felt in love with the character in the first book it was no surprise that I just stayed on that road. Tho, in this book we focus more on Manfred,
☕️Kimberly
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Day Shift took us back to the odd little town of Midnight where Psychic Manfred Bernardo finds himself in trouble, a new hotel is opening and strange new residence bring trouble. Lots happening in this installment and it all begins outside of Midnight. Manfred is staying in a hotel where he has set up visits with clients for readings. Not only does he bump into someone from Midnight, but one of his clients ends up dead and her greedy son is claiming murder and theft. A new lawyer, Olivia and an ...more
Heidi
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A much better sequel with engaging characters in an interesting town.

Manfred is headed to Dallas for the weekend to do psychic readings. At his hotel while checking in, he looks up and notices Olivia, his neighbor from Midnight. When he makes a move to acknowledge, she waves him off. Peculiar. Later that night, Manfred sees Olivia having dinner with a couple. The next morning, that same couple is found dead in their hotel room, apparently a murder/suicide. Manfred wonders what Olivia
Siobhan
Day Shift is the second book in the Midnight, Texas trilogy, making for a more enjoyable book than the first. Despite being a more engaging tale than book one, this book still failed to deliver the amazing read I’d been hoping to receive.

I gave book one a three star rating, despite considering it to be a two-point-five star rating. Book two is a solid three star rating. I considered amending my rating of book one down to two stars, but in the end I opted to keep it at the rounded up rating. Ther
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book, the second book in the Midnight Texas trilogy (according to Ms. Harris' web-site) gives us even more action than we had in book one. We have more action, but we also learn so much more about some of our favorite characters. Have you wondered what was up with the Rev? We had a good idea what he was, but not what type of what! LOL! Now we know!
I love how we are seeing characters from Sookie's world –so now we have seen characters from all of Ms. Harris’ series –I love this concept.
BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
A fan of Sookie Stackhouse, I squealed to see a new series from Ms. Harris. I missed the first book in this series and figured I could dive into the second one as a standalone. That could have been a mistake. This series did nothing for me. I couldn't figure out who exactly was the main character. Is it Manfred or Olivia? After about a third of the way through the story, I didn't care.

The world building here is confusing. Perhaps it's all been explained in the first book. In this second one, Mi
LJ
First Sentence: It isn’t the rumbling of the trucks that seizes Manfred Bernardo’s attention; it is the silence that falls when their ignitions die.

Midnight, Texas is a town few people visit. That’s just fine with the assortment of unusual and unique residents. Yet into this town comes outsiders. However, it’s when physic reader Manfred travels to Dallas that troubles begin as his client suddenly dies during her reading. Accused of murder and stealing the woman’s jewels, trouble follows him bac
T.D. Whittle
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, what it comes down to with the Midnight, Texas series and me is this: I love Mr. Snuggly, the surly ginger cat who speaks with a lisp and happens to be a witch's familiar.* I think the narrator in the Audible version of this series added the lisp herself and it's funny and charming because it brings a bit of humility to a feline who otherwise lacks this particular character trait.

Mr. Snuggly's 'owner', Fiji the witch, who inherited the cat from her great aunt (also a witch), is an endearing

• The Shaman's House (Konstabel Fenna Brongaard #3)
  • Fell Runner (Detective Freja Hansen #0.5)
  • The Seven Towers
  • In the Shadow of the Mountain (Konstabel Fenna Brongaard #2)
  • The Good People (The Dresden Files, #17.2)
  • Van Helsing Damned (Immortal Hunters MC #2)
  • Chill (Jacob's Ladder, #2)
  • Hunting a Mate (M&M Mating Agency, #2)
  • Buying a Mate (M&M Mating Agency, #4)
  • Protecting a Mate (M&M Mating Agency, #3)
  • The Testing of Luther Albright
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Gordon Pope Thrillers: Books 1-3
  • Shadows and Lies (Magic Bound #3)
  • Lost Wolf (Savage, #1)
  • The Waters and the Wild (Short Story)
  • Wolf Forged (Arbor Falls, #3)
  • Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #27)
See top shelves…
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Midnight, Texas (3 books)
  • Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas, #1)
  • Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3)