Start by marking “Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)

Read Book* *Different edition

Day Shift (Midnight, Texas #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  14,872 Ratings  ·  1,662 Reviews
In Midnight Crossroad, Charlaine Harris returns to the one-traffic-light town you see only when you’re on the way to someplace else....

Published May 5th 2015 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Day Shift, please sign up.
Vicki I love all her books......Can't wait for Day Shift. Not sure if I want it on my Kindle or a book in my hand!
Sara There are people from all of her series, the sherif is from the Aurora Teagarden books, Bobo is from the Lily Bard series, Manfred is from the Harper…moreThere are people from all of her series, the sherif is from the Aurora Teagarden books, Bobo is from the Lily Bard series, Manfred is from the Harper series, lots of ppl pop up from everywhere. (less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Angels and vampires and were-tigers! Oh My!! This trilogy just gets better and better!!

This story was amaze balls! I was sad at first that Lemuel was out of town and we only get a bit of him. Then it hit me. This book is called Dayshift and the last one Nightshift. Duh! He will be prominent in the last book.

Anyhoo, in this book, Manfred goes out of town to do some face to face readings for clients. He happens to be at the same hotel as Olivia. And there are a couple of mysterious deaths surrou
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
9/30/17 - ON SALE for $1.99: http://amzn.to/2wzzDFz

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Last year I finished MIDNIGHT CROSSROAD feeling like I was just getting to know the inhabitants of Midnight, TX, and I couldn't wait to learn more about them. It took awhile to get there, but by the end I was ready for more of these mysterious small town residents.

In particular, I wanted to know more about Olivia.

I got my wish.

And I'm reminded of the old adage: be careful what you wish for . . .

SO. DAY SHIFT is
Jilly
This series is one of those kind where it doesn't move all that fast, but you just enjoy hanging out with the characters. It's written in a way that doesn't annoy me when there is a lot of description of them doing basic things. It's like, he grabs some sweet tea and sits in his chair.., and I'm all, "yeah, yeah, and then what does he do?" This is so unlike me. Usually if there is a description of a room, I'm like:

*Note to self: Time to buy some razors.

But, somehow, this town, and these characte
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔
September 17, 2017: $1.99 on Kindle. While I didn't *love* this, it is definitely worth $2. The first book is $2.99. The last book is the best, in my view, but it's also of course about $10 right now. haha. :P

Maybe 3.5 stars? This is sort of a conflicted review. I'm not exactly sure how to review this.

Review also found at : The Paranormal Paladin.

I liked it. I enjoyed it a little more than Midnight Crossroad (my review on that one is here). However, not enough to round up to 4 stars by any me
Layla
Jan 07, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dead-to-me
Why do people rate books before they are released?
Yodamom
Book 2 in the midnight Texas trilogy
Ms. Harris has a way with characters. She can form the simplest of them into these interesting addicting beings. You just want to know them better, want to sit and share an ice tea with them. There was more to this second book, more people, more action, more mystery. She does love a slow build up, luckily so do I. This one has several shockers that amazed and surprised me. I loved it.
This book continues with the characters from book one and adds a few more to
Steven
Day Shift by Charlaine Harris
Published 2015, Ace Books
Stars: ★★★☆☆
Review also posted at: Slapdash & Sundry

Thanks to my good friend Jessica from Rabid Reads who let me read her book swag ARC. This review is honest and unbiased.

Charlaine, you naughty minx, you've done it again. You've made me wish I lived in Midnight, Texas. Regardless of the weird stuff that goes down in Midnight, I want to live there. The people seem so nice and everyone is tightknit. Just think it would be a fun place to li
Sherwood Smith
Mar 24, 2015 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Received from NetGalley.

This book has not yet been published, so this review is going to reflect the reading experience more than the plot twists.

The blurb says:There is no such thing as bad publicity, except in Midnight, Texas, where the residents like to keep to themselves. Even in a town full of secretive people, Olivia Charity is an enigma. She lives with the vampire Lemuel, but no one knows what she does; they only know that she’s beautiful and dangerous.

Psychic Manfred Bernardo finds out j
Hope Mueller
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the Midnight Texas group of people. I look forward to the next installment and hold out hope that she will extend beyond three books....
Wanda
Another almost-good book to follow Midnight Crossroad. I didn’t get to see very much of the characters that truly interested me and had to endure far too much of Manfred Bernardo, who I could care less about. The mystery wasn’t very mysterious and the plot wasn’t nearly as taut as I would have liked. A lot of the action seems to be just going through the motions, with no emotional pull to speak of. Although the reader gets to know Olivia better, it still felt superficial to me because we really ...more
ALPHAreader
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wish-list
‘Day Shift’ is the second book in Charlaine Harris’s new urban fantasy series, ‘Midnight, Texas’ … which happens to be a sort of amalgamation of all her other series, featuring various secondary characters from those books.

Last year I was so thrilled with Harris’s new series, and counted ‘Midnight, Crossroad’ as one of my favourite books of 2014. This new series features Manfred Bernardo from Harris’s ‘Harper Connelly’ series, Bobo Winthrop from ‘Lily Bard’, a character called Fiji Cavanaugh ha
Elle ✦ Pretty Little Books ✦
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Release Date: May 5, 2015
Genre: Paranormal. Mystery.

I love the town of Midnight Texas where all the residents have some sort of mysterious and paranormal edge to them. Each of the characters in this story as engaging and I loved how we were able to learn a bit more about them in this installment. Now, we didn't learn everything about each character in this book but I believe as the series progresses we will (at least I really hope so!).

This book is told in multiple POV's. For some, this may
Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews
Okay guys, if, like me, you haven’t read the Harper Connelly’ series and Lily Bard you may not get the excitement other may feel about this new series. Honestly, I felt that not having read those previous works, I was kinda missing out on some character history. But have no fear, not reading those other aren’t a must. Oh, and did I mention that there are Bon Temp characters as well?

Mix up some across-the-way neighbors and some unrequited love. Then throw in Harris’ trademark murder/mystery in a
Dianne
Welcome back to Midnight, Texas, a smalltown with some quirky residents who like their town just the way it is, filled with magical beings, talking cats and their own set of secrets. Change is-a-coming, big business is revamping an old building to be a luxury hotel for the twenty-first century. Is this good for Midnight or is there a hidden agenda behind this new business? A new business is not the only thing to put the town on tenterhooks, there’s been a murder and a death or two that may invol ...more
Marianne
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Day Shift is the second book in the Midnight Texas trilogy by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. Residents of Midnight, Texas are concerned to learn that the old abandoned Rio Roca Fria Hotel is being refurbished. Someone is spending quite a bit on the renovation, and it is complete in record time, but why? Then a client of Manfred’s meets an unexpected end, and her son makes public accusations against the psychic. Reporters flock to Midnight and all the extra attention on their little ( ...more
Beth
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlaine Harris has a way of molding all the quirks of home town USA, adding a paranormal flare and twisting it into magical story telling.

Psychic Manfred finds himself caught up in a scandalous multiple murder mysteries, together with his neighbor Olivia, in Dallas. When the investigation follows them home, it brings unwanted attention to both Olivia's and Manfred's doors The residents of Midnight must once again rally together to keep the secrets of their little town.

Day Shift gives us more
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
This book was the perfect book to read on a chilly day snuggled under a cozy quilt.
A great,quick read with characters that I love. Looking forward to the sequel.

Hannah (PSIloveThatBook)
MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

THE WORLD: Sooo...same as in the first book :D But if you are not familiar with the first book it is basically normal world plus supernatural creatures being out in the open. Jup, pretty much that is it. Vampires, werewolves, werepanthers, witches, psychics you name it. All are there.

CHARACTERS: So because I already felt in love with the character in the first book it was no surprise that I just stayed on that road. Tho, in this book we focus more on Manfred,
Heidi
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A much better sequel with engaging characters in an interesting town.

Manfred is headed to Dallas for the weekend to do psychic readings. At his hotel while checking in, he looks up and notices Olivia, his neighbor from Midnight. When he makes a move to acknowledge, she waves him off. Peculiar. Later that night, Manfred sees Olivia having dinner with a couple. The next morning, that same couple is found dead in their hotel room, apparently a murder/suicide. Manfred wonders what Olivia
Siobhan
Day Shift is the second book in the Midnight, Texas trilogy, making for a more enjoyable book than the first. Despite being a more engaging tale than book one, this book still failed to deliver the amazing read I’d been hoping to receive.

I gave book one a three star rating, despite considering it to be a two-point-five star rating. Book two is a solid three star rating. I considered amending my rating of book one down to two stars, but in the end I opted to keep it at the rounded up rating. Ther
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
A fan of Sookie Stackhouse, I squealed to see a new series from Ms. Harris. I missed the first book in this series and figured I could dive into the second one as a standalone. That could have been a mistake. This series did nothing for me. I couldn't figure out who exactly was the main character. Is it Manfred or Olivia? After about a third of the way through the story, I didn't care.

The world building here is confusing. Perhaps it's all been explained in the first book. In this second one, Mi
Mike (the Paladin)
Yeah...okay not nearly as good as the first book. This is more of a day to day account of what goes on in our "special" little town of witches, vampires, lycanthropes etc. We do get a sort of story made up up a couple of what I'd call co-subplots.

Mostly we deal with introing new people to town, dealing with keeping the town's secrets secret while the special people live their special lives with their special needs.

Also we set up a connection with another ofthe author's series Sookie Stackhouse w
Shelley
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

Day Shift, the second installment in the Midnight, Texas series, picks up 5 months after Midnight Crossroad ended. The series features an eclectic group of misfits who call Midnight home. There is touch psychic Manfred Bernardo who is still fairly new to town; witch Fiji Cavanaugh and her talking cat Mr. Snuggly; pawn shop owner Bobo Winthrop; Teacher and Madonna Reed; gay couple Joe Strong and Chuy Villegas; Reverend Emilio Sheehan, Olivia Charity,
Carolyn F.
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I'm officially loving this series. There's an overlay with the Sookie and Harper Connelly books which I loved. Also I love the perspective of all of the different characters and learning some of their secrets. I can't wait until the next book comes out! I would recommend this series.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Another great book and I really enjoyed the new characters and how Olivia opened up about herself, well not to everyone but to some and a certain amount but something is good.
Toni FGMAMTC
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
In Day Shift, all of Midnight's not-quite-normal citizens are back for another round of puzzling, thrills and adventures. This installment of the series gives the reader more insight into what type of paranormal creatures some of the residents are. We learn as we read, the same as in book one. New characters are also introduced which fans of The Southern Vampire Mysteries may be pleased to know.
"Do you, by any chance, know a waitress in Louisiana? Works in a bar in a little town called Bon Temp
Kelly-Marie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Was brilliant 5 star rating.
Erin Burns
I received an ARC of this book from the Publisher, via Netgalley, this does not affect my opinion of this book or the content of my review.
Psychic Manfred Bernardo finds out just how dangerous when
The Lit Bitch
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it

This series is ambitious when it comes to POV characters. In Harris’s Sookie books, we almost exclusively read from Sookie’s POV but in this series we have multiple narrators and POV characters….Fiji, Bobo, Manfred…..on one hand it worked well having a new fresh voice or perspective throughout the book but on the other hand something about it seemed too ‘busy’ for me. I would have liked just one single narrative.

In the previous book, it took a while to get to the murder mystery part. In
Dianne
Wow, this book, the second book in the Midnight Texas trilogy (according to Ms Harris' web-site) gives us even more action than we had in book one. We have more action, but we also learn so much more about some of our favorite characters. Have you wondered what was up with the Rev? We had a good idea what he was, but not what type of what! LOL! Now we know!
I love how we are seeing characters from Sookies world –so now we have seen characters from all of Ms Harris’ series –I love this concept. Wh
Madison Mega-Mara...: #165 Day Shift by Charlaine Harris 1 3 Sep 01, 2015 09:12AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #131- Day Shift 1 2 Aug 03, 2015 10:18AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Day Shift By Charlaine Harris 7 30 May 28, 2015 10:31AM
Charlaine Harris ...: Day Shift coming May 5th! 2 18 May 24, 2015 09:40PM
  • Under the Gun (Underworld Detection Agency, #4)
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • A Haunting is Brewing (Witchcraft Mystery, #6.5; Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #4.5)
  • Deceptions (Cainsville, #3)
  • Cats Can't Shoot (Pru Marlowe, #2)
  • Jinn and Juice (The Jinni, #1)
  • Deadly Curiosities (Deadly Curiosities, #1)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Dark Times (The Lost Slayer, #2)
  • Blood Oranges (Siobhan Quinn, #1)
  • White Trash Zombie Gone Wild (White Trash Zombie #5)
  • The Future Falls (Gale Women, #3)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • The Lost (Celestial Blues, #2)
  • Waylaid (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #1.5; The Hollows, #13.2)
  • Armageddon Rules (Grimm Agency, #2)
  • Night Owls (Night Owls, #1)
  • Kitty Saves the World (Kitty Norville, #14)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an
More about Charlaine Harris

Midnight, Texas (3 books)
  • Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas, #1)
  • Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“It can be tiring knowing so many people with hidden depths,” Joe said. “Some days, shallow is good.” 4 likes
“The worst thing about sleepless nights was the feeling of running in a hamster cage, at least mentally. The same thoughts, over and over . . .” 1 likes