Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Before I Let You Go
This topic is about Before I Let You Go
Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Rimmer, Kelly--Before I Let You Go informal buddy read starts July 22, 2018

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31796 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer.

Synopsis
The 2:00 a.m. call is the first time Lexie Vidler has heard her sister’s voice in years. Annie is a drug addict, a thief, a liar—and in trouble, again. Lexie has always bailed Annie out, given her money, a place to sleep, sent her to every kind of rehab. But this time, she’s not just strung out—she’s pregnant and in premature labor. If she goes to the hospital, she’ll lose custody of her baby—maybe even go to prison. But the alternative is unthinkable.

As weeks unfold, Lexie finds herself caring for her fragile newborn niece while her carefully ordered life is collapsing around her. She’s in danger of losing her job, and her fiancé only has so much patience for Annie’s drama. In court-ordered rehab, Annie attempts to halt her downward spiral by confronting long-buried secrets from the sisters’ childhood, ghosts that Lexie doesn’t want to face. But will the journey heal Annie, or lead her down a darker path?

Both candid and compassionate, Before I Let You Go explores a hotly divisive topic and asks how far the ties of family love can be stretched before they finally break.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

ress

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Geri | 2043 comments Checking in!

Laura | 9707 comments Checking in too!

Brooke | 1199 comments I'm in!

Geri | 2043 comments This buddy read starts tomorrow. Should we postpone the start of this buddy read a week?

Brooke | 1199 comments I have it on audio, so I can start it in a couple of days when the audiobook I have in progress is finished. But I have no issues with delaying a week if that works best for everyone.

Claudia | 435 comments I'm in the middle of two other books as well so i'm okay with delaying.

Laura | 9707 comments Yes, sure it seems to work better for everyone.

Snowtulip | 4554 comments I'm going to join in :)

message 12: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2043 comments OK, I’ll start this next week. Welcome Snowtulip and Claudia!

♛primadonna♛ (lavenderbird22) | 122 comments I'd also like to join.! :)

Laura | 9707 comments Absolutely, the more the merrier!

message 15: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2043 comments Well, found out today no more buddy reads will count for tower team after the end of the month. So I will probably get a head start on this book either Thursday or Friday. To make sure I can finish in time!

message 16: by Brooke (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "Well, found out today no more buddy reads will count for tower team after the end of the month. So I will probably get a head start on this book either Thursday or Friday. To make sure I can finish..."

I thought about that as well. I should be able to start it Thurs/Fri after I finish my current audiobook.

Laura | 9707 comments I 'm not sure I can finish it before the end of the month but I will try.

message 18: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2043 comments This is an emotional roller coaster! But opioid addiction is a timely subject matter right now.

Chapter 1-10 (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Chapters 1-10
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2043 comments This is a difficult book to read. Chapter 11-20. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2043 comments Laura wrote: "Chapters 1-10

.."

I am also wondering who the heck is Luke. The different POVs, in the present and past, are helping to give me background and flesh the story out a bit. I usually don’t enjoy heartbreaking stories like this, but I’ll stick it out to finish the buddy read.

Brooke | 1199 comments I like the different POV and the timelines. It is a good way to explain the circumstances and history while also giving us further insight into the characters.

Chapters 1-10
(view spoiler)

I completely forgot what this book was about before starting it. It isn't my normal genre, but I think this one has promise.

message 23: by Snowtulip (last edited Jul 27, 2018 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Snowtulip | 4554 comments Started this on my commute today!

Ch 1-10
(view spoiler)

Claudia | 435 comments Geri wrote: "This is an emotional roller coaster! But opioid addiction is a timely subject matter right now.

Chapter 1-10 ..."

I agree with you that this is book I would not normally read and it's pretty heavy. I work in the mental health and addiction field and I normally outside of work don't read or watch things regarding it.

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4554 comments Geri wrote: "This is a difficult book to read. Chapter 11-20. Their time with the religious sect was terrible! I knew Robert would sexually abuse Annie eventually. It’s heartbreaking how he broke her spirit. A..."

So sad(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4554 comments Claudia wrote: "Geri wrote: "This is an emotional roller coaster! But opioid addiction is a timely subject matter right now.

Chapter 1-10 ..."

I agree with you that this is book I would not normally read and it..."

Sounds like you are going to have to read a light, fluffy book after this one ;)

Brooke | 1199 comments Chapters 11-28

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "I like the different POV and the timelines. It is a good way to explain the circumstances and history while also giving us further insight into the characters.

Chapters 1-10
Wow - what a tense an..."

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Chapters 11 - chapter 16
(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4554 comments Laura wrote: "Chapters 11 - chapter 16

."

I know, (view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments Chapters 29-33

(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Chapters 11 - chapter 16."

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4554 comments Brooke wrote: "Chapters 29-33

[spoilers removed]"

I agree Brooke, (view spoiler)

Claudia | 435 comments Laura wrote: "Chapters 11 - chapter 16

[spoilers removed]."

I agree, (view spoiler)

Claudia | 435 comments Through CH 31

(view spoiler)

Claudia | 435 comments Through Chapter 39

(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments Claudia: I agree 100%. (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4554 comments Finished

(view spoiler)

Claudia | 435 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Finished

[spoilers removed]"

I completely agree. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2043 comments Brooke wrote: "Chapters 11-28

.."

Regarding Luke (view spoiler)

message 41: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2043 comments Laura wrote: "Chapters 11 - chapter 16

.."

Lexi leaving (view spoiler)

message 42: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2043 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Finished

."

I finished too. I agree. (view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments Regarding the behavior of Lexie and Annie's mother: The autobiography Educated: A Memoir is an extreme example but demonstrates (view spoiler) If you enjoy autobiographies, I highly recommend this one. It is one of my top 5 reads for the year.

Brooke | 1199 comments Finished last night.

Geri and Snowtulip: (view spoiler)

message 45: by Claudia (last edited Jul 30, 2018 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claudia | 435 comments Geri wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Chapters 11-28

.."

Regarding Luke [spoilers removed]"

I don't really agree with that. (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments I finally finished
(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura: I absolutely would! It wouldn't be easy, but when my sister got pregnant years ago we talked about that and even made it official legally.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Educated (other topics)
Before I Let You Go (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kelly Rimmer (other topics)