YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mega Month Challenge Archive > Around the world in 31 days challenge - MMC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Abbie (last edited Jul 12, 2018 04:56AM) (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments

This challenge will be a solo challenge.

For this challenge, the goal is to read books starting with a countries first letter. You'll get the regular points for Page length/Buddies and then get bonus points depending on what Letter/Country you're reading for. (This is based off the Scrabble point system, you'll find this in the "Points" section below.)

For example, F is worth 4 points, so if your review post looks like this;

Fear (Gone, #5) by Michael Grant
Pages: 650 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Buddy: No

You'd get 6 points for the page count, and 4 bonus points for the letter/Country. If it was a buddy in our group, you'd also get another 6 bonus points for that.

Please note: Book titles used must be the original title, and "A", "The", "Of" ect cannot be skipped.

List of Countries: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis...

* Points will be awarded based on pages read:
*100 - 199 pages = 1 point
*200 - 299 pages = 2 points
*300 - 399 pages = 3 points
*400 - 499 pages = 4 points
*500 - 599 pages = 5 points
*600+ pages = 6 points
(maximum of 6 points per book)(Minimum page count of 100 pages)

And bonus points for the Letter/Country:

(1 point)-A, E, I, O, U, L, N, S, T, R.
(2 points)-D, G.
(3 points)-B, C, M, P.
(4 points)-F, H, V, Y.
(5 points)-K.
(8 points)- J.
(10 points)-Q, Z.

(W and X do not appear on this list, as there are no countries beginning with these letters.)

*Buddy reads DOUBLE your points score for pages, so a 300 page book + buddy read = 6 points. 600 page book + buddy read = 12 points. (Bonus points for buddy reads will only be given if the buddy read has taken place in our group.)

* Points will be awarded as buddy read points + page points + Letter worth So Fear at 650 pages, with a buddy read, for the country France would be worth 6 points for the pages, 6 points for a buddy read and 4 points for the letter, giving you a total of 16 points.

* Books do not have to be buddy read, buddy reading just earns you more points. So Fear at 650 pages, without a buddy read, would be worth 6 points.

Rules/Guidelines:

* Books must be read between the 1st of August and the 31st of August inclusive. Books started before August may be used, but you will only earn points for pages read in August, and you will not earn the bonus points for the letter/Country.

* Books must be over 100 pages long, without illustrations. (150 pages minimum for middle-grade books)

*Graphic novels, manga, poetry, books written in verse, and illustrated books will not be accepted for any of our challenges happening during the 2018 Mega Month Challenge.

* You are welcome to read physical books, ebooks, and audiobooks for this challenge, and you are also welcome to read in any language as long as you provide us with an English translation of your review/updates either as part of your review, on the review thread, or by personal message to either Sarah or myself.

* If for any reason you are unable to publish your review on Goodreads, it can also be sent to either myself or Sarah via personal message. Please let us know that you will be doing this before you do it though, and please continue to post on the review thread as normal, and stating 'review sent to Sarah/Abbie by personal message' after 'Review:'.

* Re-reads are allowed as long as it has been at least a year since you last read the book, and you write a new review or updates.

*A review or 4 detailed updates will be required for each book read.

*Buddy reads must have a minimum of 4 comments to count, and comments must be detailed, and about the book.

* Buddy reads must take place within this group (YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥) to gain the extra points.

* Higher page count editions may be used when claiming points for pages, but page counts for iphone/ibook editions will not be accepted, and neither will page counts for audiobook editions (you are still welcome to read in these formats, but must use a different page count). We also request that you leave us a link to the edition with the page count that you are using, if the book has multiple editions with different page counts.

* Original titles must be used for this challenge, you won't be able to use another edition for a different letter.

* The, A, or Of ect, cannot be skipped.

* Please do not go back and alter posts once they have been counted, if you need to make a change, please make a new post on your review thread, with a link to your original post, and then explain the change, for example; a higher page count edition has been found, or a buddy read needs to be added, and please include links.

* Our regular challenge rules can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Abbie (last edited Aug 10, 2018 02:55AM) (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments

Participants:

Tati
Janor
Rae
Skye
Abby
Slytherpuff
Natalia
Carrie
Siobhan
Bookbuyer
June
Courtney
Ashley
Carolyn
C.P
Elizabeth Emily
Hannah
Jenn
Ritika
Jamie
Maddison
Nicole
Melanie
Natalie
Lara
Sharon
Clephiro
Ashleigh
Shae
Karen
Quirks
Fuzaila
Megan
Tayane
Gabi
Himanshu
❤ Aly ❤
Becky
Connie
Erin
Julianne
Kirsty
Cinthia
Katrina
Andrea
Vanessa
Saar
Ari
Susan
Cristina
Astrid
Michela
Kate
Cindee
Jasmine
Ashy
Khungkhing
Maria
Kelli
Nikki
Katerina
Shantavia
Jennifer
Danielle
Giulia
Riddhi
Kyra
Lesa
Darlene
Selma
Rachael
Lane
Amanda
Sibil
Marcus
Jaguane
Musical
Heather
Chloe
Nikk
Roselovestoread

message 3: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Me! Me!

message 4: by Janor (new)

Janor | 540 comments Yess! Sounds like a fun challenge!

message 5: by Rae (new)

Rae Lake | 2222 comments In! Question can we double up letters? Or once its off the board thats it?

message 6: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Rae wrote: "In! Question can we double up letters? Or once its off the board thats it?"

You can use a letter/country as many times as you like. :)

message 7: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments All added :)

message 8: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments I'm in :)

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Sign me up.

message 10: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I’m in. I may not be able to update for the 1st two weeks due to limited internet

message 11: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 1637 comments Sign me up please

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Count me in please. :)

message 13: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Quinlan | 2090 comments I'm in :)

message 14: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments I'm in!

message 15: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 862 comments I'm in

message 16: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 11481 comments I'm in.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments I'm in!

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Elaine | 2257 comments I'm in! Will we need to make our own thread or can you make it?

message 19: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments I'll try this one as well.

message 20: by Elizabeth Emily (new)

Elizabeth Emily Browne (snakesandladderrs) | 2216 comments I’m in :)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 6100 comments I'm in!

message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 5944 comments Mod
I'm in!

message 23: by Ritika (new)

Ritika Mendiratta | 616 comments I'm in! Also, can we use the same book for different challenges? I mean can I use the same book for this and at Wheel of Fortune Challenge at the same time?

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11446 comments I'm in

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11446 comments Do we go with The letter the list has it under (example People's Republic of China & Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire) are under C)?

message 26: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 49090 comments Mod
Oh wow the fact that we can double up on letters makes every book count XD I thought they might get striked out as we go, that's more challenging.

But I'm in.

Nicole's Book Diaries (nicolesbookdiaries) | 2308 comments I’m in!

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 12331 comments I'm in

message 29: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments I'd like to join please c:

message 30: by Lara (new)

Lara (Bookish_turtle) | 833 comments I'm in!

message 31: by Linaria (new)

Linaria | 2190 comments me please

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9978 comments i'm in!

message 33: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 3378 comments I'm in please

message 34: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments I’m in :)

message 35: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments All added :)

message 36: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Carolyn wrote: "I'm in! Will we need to make our own thread or can you make it?"

They'll be one thread for everyone, which is already up in the folder. :)

message 37: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Ritika wrote: "I'm in! Also, can we use the same book for different challenges? I mean can I use the same book for this and at Wheel of Fortune Challenge at the same time?"

Yes, you can only use a book once per challenge, but you can use it across all of them at the same time. (So you could use it for this, WOF and the Name challenge.) :)

message 38: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Jamie wrote: "Do we go with The letter the list has it under (example People's Republic of China & Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire) are under C)?"

For ones like that, if it's under C for China, but starts with something else you can use it for either letter.

message 39: by Abbie (last edited Jul 13, 2018 05:46AM) (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Maddison wrote: "Oh wow the fact that we can double up on letters makes every book count XD I thought they might get striked out as we go, that's more challenging.

But I'm in."

Originally, it was planned that you could only use the letter for as long as there were another country to use it for (so you could only use one Q book) but we thought with the other two challenges based of letters it might have got a bit limiting/confusing!

message 40: by Ritika (new)

Ritika Mendiratta | 616 comments Abbie wrote: "Ritika wrote: "I'm in! Also, can we use the same book for different challenges? I mean can I use the same book for this and at Wheel of Fortune Challenge at the same time?"

Yes, you can only use a..."

Thanks! That's great!

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 11410 comments I’ll join this too pleaee

message 42: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7339 comments I'm in!

message 43: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments I'll join this too!

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 5146 comments I'm in.

message 45: by Tayane (new)

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments I'm in!

message 46: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 563 comments This sounds exciting! I'm in! :)

message 47: by Himanshu (new)

Himanshu Saliya (him186) | 120 comments I am in

message 48: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3591 comments I’m in

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky  | 542 comments I'm in

message 50: by Connie (new)

Connie (sunstormsandthunderclouds) | 4009 comments I’d like to sign up, I think I’m finally ready to start reading again...

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.