Reading List Completists discussion

Buddy Reads - Non-Completist > Helter Skelter - Buddy Read Non-Completest - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1751 comments Mod
Greetings - Ginger and I will be buddy reading Helter Skelter in August 2018. Feel free to join in!

I have not seen Helter Skelter on any of our lists, but I don't tend to see non-fiction on the lists. But, I think it is agreed by the majority that this book and In Cold Blood are the granddaddies of True Crime books.

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Reminder, this Helter Skelter Buddy Read begins tomorrow. Feel free to join in!

message 3: by Ginger (new)

Ginger I'm here for the Skelter and the Helter! :D

message 4: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments I'm right in the middle of it, and I read the first part looking over my shoulder, it was so creepy. Kind of makes me glad Manson isn't a threat anymore, but who knows how many followers are still out there?

message 5: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Ev wrote: "I'm right in the middle of it, and I read the first part looking over my shoulder, it was so creepy. Kind of makes me glad Manson isn't a threat anymore, but who knows how many followers are still ..."

I just watched Dark Tourist on Netflix and there still are Ev. The host went to Hollywood and there's still people that are all about Manson. It's crazy.

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

August is the anniversary month of the Tate murders - so, appropriate read for this month.

message 7: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "August is the anniversary month of the Tate murders - so, appropriate read for this month."

Woah! I had no idea so it's totally appropriate that we're finally reading this.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Matthew wrote: "August is the anniversary month of the Tate murders - so, appropriate read for this month."

August 8–9, 1969

message 9: by Ev (last edited Jul 31, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Ev | 32 comments Ginger wrote: "Ev wrote: "I'm right in the middle of it, and I read the first part looking over my shoulder, it was so creepy. Kind of makes me glad Manson isn't a threat anymore, but who knows how many followers..."

Yikes! I better read this only in the daytime with my back against the wall then. Creepy.

message 10: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

I will be doing both this and the other group selection (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks) on audio (just trying to finish up my last audiobook!)

Since I am buddy reading this one with you guys, I am planning to focus most of my audio time on the Henrietta book so that I don't get too far ahead on the Manson book (audiobooks definitely go much faster for me - I finished what was a 900 page book on audiobook in less than a week earlier this year!)

message 11: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 41 comments The Helter Skelter audiobook is only a bit over 5hrs 🤩 Will try to join in if time permits.

message 12: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments That means I'll probably still be chugging along on Helter Skelter while you guys leave me in the dust. :)

message 13: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Scarlett wrote: "The Helter Skelter audiobook is only a bit over 5hrs 🤩 Will try to join in if time permits."

Woah - you must have found an abridged copy! Mine is 26 hours and 29 minutes!

message 14: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 41 comments Hmm...well before I start, let me check :)

message 15: by Ginger (last edited Aug 01, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Ginger Ev, I'll be reading this as well so you've got one of us who won't be leaving you in the dust. :D

Matthew, I'll likely take longer at this BR then normal since you're doing audio. Plus, I've got a library book that I've got to read this month, overtime at work and more then likely, Two Graves with Terry!!
So, don't give up on me on this BR but I'll try to read as much as I can this month.

message 16: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Ginger wrote: "Ev, I'll be reading this as well so you've got one of us who won't be leaving you in the dust. :D

Matthew, I'll likely take longer at this BR then normal since you're doing audio. Plus, I've got a..."

Awesome!

message 17: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Per my discussion with Scarlett - and to avoid the confusion of the many covers that are out there.

If you want to read the full version:
The paperback and hardcover are 650 to 775 pages (First edition hardcover appears to be 520 pages - must have been small print!)
Audiobook is between 26 and 27 hours
Kindle/eBook - 700 to 770 pages

I hope this info helps! :)

message 18: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "The paperback and hardcover are 650 to 775 pages"

This is what I have Matthew so I've got the big daddy of them all. hahaha

message 19: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 41 comments 👍

message 20: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Matthew wrote: "Per my discussion with Scarlett - and to avoid the confusion of the many covers that are out there.

If you want to read the full version:
The paperback and hardcover are 650 to 775 pages (First ed..."

I have the first edition, and not counting the index pages in the back, it comes out to a neat 490 pages.

message 21: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

After spending an hour last night finding a better audiobook player for the MP3 I bought of the book, I think I am finally ready to go!

message 22: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "After spending an hour last night finding a better audiobook player for the MP3 I bought of the book, I think I am finally ready to go!"

Great!! I started the book last night and it's already intense and captivating. Holy smokes.

message 23: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

At the beginning (view spoiler)

message 24: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments In the middle...Manson’s philosophy is bringing my IQ down. :)

message 25: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "At the beginning [spoilers removed]"

Oh yeah, that was my thought as well!

message 26: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Ev wrote: "In the middle...Manson’s philosophy is bringing my IQ down. :)"

Don't drink the Kool-Aid Ev! hahaha

message 27: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Not me...I stick with Coke. :)

message 28: by Ginger (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Ginger I finished up day August 9th, 1969.
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Ev (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Ev | 32 comments Trust me, that's only the beginning. What astounded me was the forensics guy who didn't thoroughly take blood samples, omitting the sub types that could further narrow down possible suspects. I know in 1969 they didn't have sophisticated technology, but this is just absurd.

message 30: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Ev wrote: "Trust me, that's only the beginning. What astounded me was the forensics guy who didn't thoroughly take blood samples, omitting the sub types that could further narrow down possible suspects. I kno..."

I totally agree. This blew my mind as well.

message 31: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments I also plan to read this soon. It's the family account of Sharon Tate's murder. If anyone wants, we can buddy read it. :)

Restless Souls The Sharon Tate Family's Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice by Alisa Statman

message 32: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Ginger wrote: "I finished up day August 9th, 1969.
[spoilers removed]"

And (view spoiler)

message 33: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Matthew wrote: "Ginger wrote: "I finished up day August 9th, 1969.
[spoilers removed]"

And [spoilers removed]"

Yes! Talk about moronic. I wonder where those policemen got their degrees from: mail-in cereal box tops? lol

message 34: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Learning about locations and the people involved. Google Maps, Wikipedia, and IMDb look to be my contact companions throughout this one!

message 35: by Ginger (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:11AM) (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "Learning about locations and the people involved. Google Maps, Wikipedia, and IMDb look to be my contact companions throughout this one!"

Yeah, I agree. I've been going back to the cast of characters in the beginning of my book.
By the way, I'm loving this book! It's easy to read and fascinating.
I got to Ch August 16-30, 1969 last night. (view spoiler)
Holy hell!

message 36: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Matthew wrote: "Learning about locations and the people involved. Google Maps, Wikipedia, and IMDb look to be my contact companions throughout this one!"

Well, at least you'll know your way around Benedict Canyon if you're ever in the area. :)

message 37: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Learning about locations and the people involved. Google Maps, Wikipedia, and IMDb look to be my contact companions throughout this one!"

Yeah, I agree. I've been going back to the..."

A knife in throat and a fork in the stomach...that's so unspeakably evil, no one can be that brainwashed not to know they are committing murder.

message 38: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

It's amazing how arrogant the Manson family was (view spoiler)

message 39: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Very smug and arrogant, especially Sadie. Very proud of what they've done. Not insane but plain evil.

message 40: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Also, given the fear Manson instills in people, I'm surprised Sadie turned snitch without hesitation.

message 41: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Here I am thinking they will never figure it out and (view spoiler)

message 42: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "Here I am thinking they will never figure it out and [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, isn't that crazy!! (view spoiler)

message 43: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

So, these Manson family people (view spoiler)

message 44: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Matthew wrote: "So, these Manson family people [spoilers removed]"

For a while they were invincible as evidenced by the incompetence in the LAPD and LASO. They got away with it for longer than they should have.

Also, today is the 49th anniversary of the LaBianca murders.

message 45: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Ev wrote: "Matthew wrote: "So, these Manson family people [spoilers removed]"

For a while they were invincible as evidenced by the incompetence in the LAPD and LASO. They got away with it for longer than the..."

Indeed! You would have thought they had it together by the time they got to the Simpson trial!

Yes - 49 years! Might add a bit more to the book when reading it today.

message 46: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "So, these Manson family people [spoilers removed]"

I agree! (view spoiler)

message 47: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

I will say this, too, Los Angeles in the late 60s sounded pretty bad overall!

Also, I was curious and looked this up, the murders took place about a week before Woodstock.

message 48: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "Also, I was curious and looked this up, the murders took place about a week before Woodstock."

Huh! They were definitely not practicing "Free Love"!
Well, I guess with each other they were. ;) haha

message 49: by Ev (new)

Ev | 32 comments Listening to the Beatles' The White Album will never be the same again. lol

message 50: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited Aug 10, 2018 11:37PM) (new)

When he tells the story of Manson (view spoiler)

« previous 1