Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1)
This topic is about Beyond Redemption
BotM Discussion - FANTASY > Beyond Redemption Q&A w/ Michael R. Fletcher

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 2032 comments Mod
I am pleased to announce that Michael R. Fletcher noticed that our group is reading his book and has offered to do a Q&A with the group. Please post any questions you have to him here and he will pop in and answer them.

Thank you Michael!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Folks,

Thanks for having me, and thanks for reading my mad little novel. I hope you enjoy it!

Feel free to ask me anything about anything.

Cheers!

message 3: by Ryan (new) - added it

Ryan Do you remember how you developed the idea for this book?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I remember how it happened, but I don't understand the connections.

I used to work as an audio engineer, doing live sound for bands and recording albums. I was working in the studio with a Toronto band call Dirty Penny. They had this really strange song about the interaction between Francesco Pizarro, the Spanish Conquistador, and Atahualpa, the Incan Emperor. They spun it like the Spanish were insane after months at sea, and the confrontation was one of belief systems rather than muskets and small pox versus spears.

Something caught in me. The idea of these two cultures having such different world views. What if their belief systems actually shaped reality? I wrote a story called Fire and Flesh: A Manifest Delusions Short Story trying to capture the concept. The Spaniards were insane from their voyages, and because they came from a society where people believed that belief shaped reality, there's did. The Incans were sane and happy, and didn't believe that belief had any impact on reality. This was the birth of the Manifest Delusions idea.

I wrote another story exploring the idea (Grimdark Magazine Issue #6 and trying to hammer out the details. Some of the characters in those early stories made it to the book, though much changed.

As I was in a fairly dark place at the time. So when I decided to write a book using the magic system, I decided I wanted there to be no heroes, no knights in shining armour, no pretty people with nice hair and washboard abs. I had this idea that most adults were basically incapable of escaping their past, unable to learn and grow beyond what they were. Now I prefer to think that I was wrong. Though sometimes I wonder.

message 5: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lancer (elancer) | 1667 comments Mod
These are by far some of my favorite reads of all time, thank you for coming to speak to our group.

I suppose I would ask whether you have any background in psychology/sociology, because you hit the nail on the head for so many of the delusions and how the manifest.

message 6: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new) - rated it 5 stars

Also eagerly awaiting the third book :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

sir Lancer wrote: "These are by far some of my favorite reads of all time, thank you for coming to speak to our group.

I suppose I would ask whether you have any background in psychology/sociology, because you hit t..."

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying them. They're a lot of fun to write. Trying to figure out different ways each delusion might manifest is a challenge.

I have no background in psychology, just some google-fu and a copy of the Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders. I also dipped into some historical research of what's now considered outdated psychology because some of it was so damned cool.

I also kinda cheated. I knew a sociopath quite well. He was a singer in a band I did a lot of work with. Konig and Wichtig are actually both based on him, different aspects of his personality. Some of their dialogue is lifted verbatim from conversations we had. It was amazing listening to him about how much he did for his friends and how ungrateful they were.

I'm currently planning the third and last book. Previously I wrote by the seat of my pants, with no idea how the stories would end or who would survive. This time there's enough going on, enough threads that need to be tied up, that I feel like it requires some forethought. If all goes well, the novel (working title, A War to End All) will see release in 2019.

message 8: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have onky taken a few history of disease, psychology and medicine course in university and find it fascinating. Now that we know so much about human physiology and such the mystery is gone. Have always enjoyed learning about how they went about things without really knowing much.

message 9: by Ryan (new) - added it

Ryan They thought they knew a lot back then. How much don't we know now? These are the questions that would keep me awake at night if I wasn't such a good sleeper.

message 10: by Greg (last edited Jul 12, 2018 12:51AM) (new)

Greg | 1190 comments Michael wrote: "I remember how it happened, but I don't understand the connections.

I used to work as an audio engineer, doing live sound for bands and recording albums. I was working in the studio with a Toronto..."

Your description below really intrigues me, the inspiration for your book ... and the song as well actually. I'm busy at the moment and wasn't planning on joining the group read, but I think I will now. Thanks for the Q & A!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Greg wrote: "Michael wrote: "I remember how it happened, but I don't understand the connections.

I used to work as an audio engineer, doing live sound for bands and recording albums. I was working in the studi..."

I hope you enjoy the book!

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul (subpaul) | 40 comments Okay - I am hooked, this books sounds fun and right up my alley... but I "read" all my books on audio (long story) and this book is not on Audible. SO, my only question is when will this book be on Audible, and I really hope the answer is soon.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Paul wrote: "Okay - I am hooked, this books sounds fun and right up my alley... but I "read" all my books on audio (long story) and this book is not on Audible. SO, my only question is when will this book be on..."

Short version: I've asked Harper Voyager for permission to produce the audiobook through ACX. Once I get that permission, I can get things rolling.

Longer version: Harper Voyager bought the audio rights when they bought the book. In the end they were unable to sell the rights on (they don't actually produce audiobooks themselves, but sell the rights to Audible, etc.) nothing happened. I asked about getting the rights reverted so I could release it. I was told to make an official request and that it would likely be accepted. It's not like they were EVER going to do anything with the audio anyway. I made the official request and it was denied. I was then told that I still might be able to produce the audiobook, but that I had to get HV's permission and had to officially request that. I've sent them a letter and am awaiting the response. Which typically takes a month or so. Assuming they give me permission, work will begin on both Beyond Redemption and The Mirror's Truth immediately. If permission is denied...well, it's dead in the water.

message 14: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael wrote: "Paul wrote: "Okay - I am hooked, this books sounds fun and right up my alley... but I "read" all my books on audio (long story) and this book is not on Audible. SO, my only question is when will th..."

Wow that sucks, good luck getting it figured out.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Roger wrote: "Michael wrote: "Paul wrote: "Okay - I am hooked, this books sounds fun and right up my alley... but I "read" all my books on audio (long story) and this book is not on Audible. SO, my only question..."

Thanks!

Stubbornness is key in this biz.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul (subpaul) | 40 comments All right - I will wait and keep an eye out. But tell Harper Voyager that folks are clamoring for the audiobook. Yep, I am officially clamoring.

message 17: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 887 comments Mod
Where did you get your inspiration for Gehirn and Stehlin?

I also wonder, where one would come up with the idea of someone with a labia embedded with mirror fragments who would STILL be willing to have sex? One of the most brutal things I've read in years.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (Sweet or brutal, you never know which) wrote: "Where did you get your inspiration for Gehirn and Stehlin?

I also wonder, where one would come up with the idea of someone with a labia embedded with mirror fragments who would STILL be willing t..."

Some of the characters were based on people I know. Konig and Wichtig were actually both aspects of a sociopath I knew quite well. He was the singer in a metal band I was working with. The showy side was all Wichtig, the background plotting was all Konig. Some of their dialogue was taken verbatim from conversations we had. He once went on at great length about how amazing a friend he was and how he got so little in return. I still giggle at the memory.

Others, like Gehirn and Stehlen, were fabricated. Gehirn actually started off as a dude. He appeared in a couple of short stories I wrote (Fire and Flesh, At the Walls of Sinnlos) while working out the mechanics of the Manifest Delusions system. I really like how she turned out in BR. Gehirn isn't so much based on a specific person as she is the common desire to be loved and needed. But it's just pushed a bit far. Really, that's what BR is. I took a bunch of really simple ideas and then kept pushing and pushing.

Stehlen... She's one of my favourite characters. Psychotic and violent, and yet needy. I worry that she's an aspect of my own difficulties in communicating with people on an emotional level. I see her as the end result of bottling all your emotions for too long. She really comes into her own in The Mirror’s Truth.

The glass thing... Yeah. That's messed up. I had to convince myself that my Mom wouldn't read the book (which she totally did). I don't know where that came from. I write scenes by first picturing them in my head. The goal is always to make the reader see what I see. I knew Gehirn would search out a Mirrorist and then started picturing what a powerful Mirrorist might look like. From there it all went terribly wrong. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Paul wrote: "All right - I will wait and keep an eye out. But tell Harper Voyager that folks are clamoring for the audiobook. Yep, I am officially clamoring."

I pester them pretty regularly. At this point my best chance is them giving me permission to do one. I've got everything ready to start rolling. Just need that thumbs up.

message 20: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cupcakes & Machetes (Sweet or brutal, you never know which) wrote: "Where did you get your inspiration for Gehirn and Stehlin?

I also wonder, where one would come up with the idea of someone with a labia embedded with mirror fragments who would STILL be willing t..."

That was a rough scene even for a guy, I am a little glad my wife wasn't a big fan of the book and never made it that far...

message 21: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael wrote: "Cupcakes & Machetes (Sweet or brutal, you never know which) wrote: "Where did you get your inspiration for Gehirn and Stehlin?

I also wonder, where one would come up with the idea of someone with..."

Mission accomplished on all fronts. Nothing says bad ass like genital mutilation. ;)
Did your mom ever mention it after she read it?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes wrote: "Michael wrote: "Cupcakes & Machetes (Sweet or brutal, you never know which) wrote: "Where did you get your inspiration for Gehirn and Stehlin?

I also wonder, where one would come up with the idea..."

Nah, she just gave me that "What the hell is wrong with you, boy?" look.

Actually, she's super cool about it. Bought copies for all her friends. Now they all give me that look.

message 23: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

I for one, hope the next book is just as brutal. I'll hopefully pick up a copy soon.

Thank you for taking the time to answer the group's questions. :)

message 24: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick It is, Cupcakes. It is. This was one of my fave reads of the last few years so I'm glad to see it getting some love here.

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 26, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

Michael wrote: "Cupcakes & Machetes wrote: "Michael wrote: "Cupcakes & Machetes (Sweet or brutal, you never know which) wrote: "Where did you get your inspiration for Gehirn and Stehlin?

I also wonder, where one..."

In some ways the next book might be a bit darker as it's deeper into the heads of the characters, but in other ways...nah, it's just darker.

Totally my pleasure! I really appreciate the group giving me the chance to come hang out. If I can help arrange Q&As with any of the authors I know, I'd be happy to help. Not sure if the group has read The Court of Broken Knives yet, but I loved it and Anna is fantastic to chat with. Also, don't believe anything she says about us doing vodka shots out of Mark Lawrence's belly button. Totally didn't happen.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Rick wrote: "It is, Cupcakes. It is. This was one of my fave reads of the last few years so I'm glad to see it getting some love here."

Thanks! That is seriously good to hear. Sometimes I feel like a crazy guy shouting into the dark from a rooftop. But then sometimes I am.

message 27: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

The group has not read The Court of Broken Knives yet. (Looks like it's Kindle version is currently on sale for $2.99 for anyone who wants to pick it up. I grabbed a copy.) I think that would be awesome though.

I'm a new mod so I'm not sure how these things are properly run yet so may have to get back to you about that.

message 28: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (last edited Aug 30, 2018 04:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't know that I'll be online tomorrow so I wanted to take a moment and thank Mr. Fletcher for taking the time to talk with us and answer questions about his novel.

Thanks! I really loved the book. I'm hoping to buy The Mirror’s Truth on my next book binge. :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes wrote: "I don't know that I'll be online tomorrow so I wanted to take a moment and thank Mr. Fletcher for taking the time to talk with us and answer questions about his novel.

Thanks! I really loved the b..."

Thanks for having me, folks!

I see you have Anna's The Court of Broken Knives up next. You're in for a (brutal) treat! Such an amazing book, and she's a blast to chat with.