Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Series > Has anyone read any of these great series?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments 'The Foundation series' Issac Asimov. ' The Gap series' Stephen Donaldson.

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke | 24 comments I've read the Foundation series. Is there anything in particular you want to discuss about it?

message 3: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments I was just wondering if anyone had read any of the same series as I have. It seems to be mainly men on here and the type of sci fi they read isn't really my taste for the most part. I just threw these titles out off the top of my head out of the many that I have read. Great to know that at least one person has some similar tastes. I feel that a lot of current sci fi lacks plot and pace. I'm not keen on sci fi novels that rely purely on war tactics or action for drama but I want to be kept interested. Asimov, Donaldson, Kirwan among others are perfect examples of this.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott I read the first Gap book, it was alright, but I never did read the rest.

I couldn't get into Foundation but I intend to give it another try sometime.

message 5: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips I read the original Foundation trilogy when I was in high school (graduated in 1975). It's largely what got me hooked on sci-fi, though my dad was an early pulp reader. Lots of good series out there. If you like space opera, Iain Banks's Culture series, or Peter F. Hamilton, although The Night's Dawn trilogy in particular is daunting in terms of page count. The Expanse novels are really good and very accessible to many readers.

message 6: by mark, personal space invader (last edited Jul 09, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 1276 comments Mod
I love Banks and Hamilton, but I'd say that per Yvonne's own parameters, they may not be good fits for her. both authors series' usually rely on war tactics and action for drama.

I'd recommend Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga if more character-based novels are what's wanted.

If it's "idea" novels that are desired, along the lines of Asimov's classics, then I'd suggest another classic author: Arthur C. Clarke.

Octavia Butler and CJ Cherryh are good ones for novels whose drama is driven by both characterization and ideas.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 233 comments I loved both the foundation and the gap series but found them very different stylistically.

I would certainly go along with mark’s suggestion of the Vorkosigan series and do count Clarke as one of my all time favourite authors. I would also add that like Asimov, Clarke can feel a little dated nowadays especially with his characterisations.

I've also got to add my support for the Expanse series, especially the earlier novels for excellent plot, pace, characters and big ideas.

message 8: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments I've read Clarke. You are right I couldn't get into Hamilton or Banks. I'm a big Star Trek fan and used to love Blakes 7. I enjoyed the Ender series by Orson Scott Clark. The gap series got better as it went along so definitely worth sticking at. I like to be surprised in the novels I read. Run of the mill plots don't really do it for me. I'm very picky. Unfortunately I've got hundreds of sci fi samples on my kindle that I couldn't get past the first chapter. As per films I absolutely love 12 monkeys (The original version) Blade runner but not the latest one. Classic Star Trek but not the new one. A lot of the newer ones rely mostly on special effects no decent plot line and the characters either have very little dialogue or mumble there way through. We should have a top 50 list on here. It always fascinates me how peoples tastes differ so much even within a genre.

message 9: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments Allan wrote: "I read the original Foundation trilogy when I was in high school (graduated in 1975). It's largely what got me hooked on sci-fi, though my dad was an early pulp reader. Lots of good series out ther..."

Yes it was where I started to get obsessed with sci fi. Asimov is pure genius.

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 233 comments We have an ongoing thread in this group where each member can add their favourite SF book to an ever growing list; just one entry per member mind.
It’s not a top fifty list but does provide a fantastic reference of works that we Science Fiction Aficionados think are well worth trying.
I think it can be found here

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott How about Alistair Reynolds? Or Jack McDevitt? Stephen King called him the "logical heir" to Asimov and Clarke.

message 12: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments I also like Scalzi and Becky Chambers, Andy Weir.

message 13: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments mark wrote: "I love Banks and Hamilton, but I'd say that per Yvonne's own parameters, they may not be good fits for her. both authors series' usually rely on war tactics and action for drama.

I'd recommend Buj..."

Thanks I've just downloaded a sample of one of the C J Cherryh books.

message 14: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 97 comments Yvonne wrote: "'The Foundation series' Issac Asimov. ' The Gap series' Stephen Donaldson."

*waves* Me!

I've read both of those series - a long time ago, now. I'm also fond of Scalzi, and I'm starting to really enjoy Hamilton. Also the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey who is actually two people.

message 15: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments We obviously have similar tastes. Is the Expanse series the one that has been televised and shown on Netflix? Because if it is I've seen that and it's really good. I think you would enjoy the Fortune's Pawn series by Rachel Bach Leonie. I find it difficult to find decent sci fi books that appeal to me. It's getting to be more and more of a rare phenomenon. Also try the Ender series by Orson Scott Card.

message 16: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments Just looked at your profile Leoni.
I am also an author. I've actually published a book of short stories not long back on Amazon. My short stories are multi-genre but there are some sci fi and fantasy among them. Here is a link to my author page on Amazon. How did you get yourself marked as an author on here. I seem to have had some difficulty setting things up on here. I can't even seem to update the cover of my book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yvonne-N

message 17: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments I've just downloaded a sample of one of your books Leonie.

message 18: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 97 comments Yvonne wrote: "I've just downloaded a sample of one of your books Leonie."

Ooh, thank you, Yvonne :) Hope you enjoy it.

I think I just created it as an author profile? It was a fair while back. Generally the librarians on Goodreads are pretty helpful if you're having trouble with the bits and pieces of the site.

And just a note on your link, Yvonne - it's not working. Maybe pop it in the Self Promotion section of the group. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 20: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments This one is okay I've just checked it Leonie. I must have been a bit too hasty and left a bit off the html or something.

message 21: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments Leonie wrote: "Yvonne wrote: "I've just downloaded a sample of one of your books Leonie."

Ooh, thank you, Yvonne :) Hope you enjoy it.

I think I just created it as an author profile? It was a fair while back. ..."

I must have pasted it incorrectly the one below works okay. I've just checked it.

message 22: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments I have an ordinary profile as I wasn't an author when I joined goodreads yonks ago. Can't find any way of changing it or any help section. Can anyone on here help with this? In all honesty I haven't used this site that much in the past.

message 23: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments Found it by doing a search on the internet. Not easy to find. I've applied for an author profile now so will see what happens.

message 24: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments Richard wrote: "We have an ongoing thread in this group where each member can add their favourite SF book to an ever growing list; just one entry per member mind.
It’s not a top fifty list but does provide a fant..."

Thanks Richard. Found it. Added one

message 25: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips I haven't read a lot of Cherryh but I did read Cyteen, and it was was tremendous. I have the sequel and The Complete Morgaine in my shelf, sitting there laughing at me as I futilely try to plow through the mountain of titles.

message 26: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Nowakowski | 20 comments Allan wrote: "I haven't read a lot of Cherryh but I did read Cyteen, and it was was tremendous. I have the sequel and The Complete Morgaine in my shelf, sitting there laughing at me as I futilely try to plow thr..."
I find that there are very few authors that can pull it all together to give me what I want in a novel. I like a good plot, characters, plenty of twists and surprises. Not too much mind numbing war sequences. It has to be an easily interpretable syly too as I don't want to be scratching my head thinking what does he mean or who is speaking. So technically reasonably well written. Also it has to be a subject that interests me. I like first contact stuff if good and space opera if there is good plot and new ideas. It's difficult to say whether I'm going to like a book until I actually try it. I guess some just have the X factor.

message 27: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Mcnelis | 16 comments The Foundation series was my hook into science fiction. I've read all of them. Also read the Gap series. I've read a lot of series actually, it seems most of what I read comes in groups of three. My favorite series has been Reynolds' Revelation Space series (and the myriad shorts he's written around that universe) closely followed by Corey's Expanse series. Speaking of which, if you've seen the tv show and liked it, but not read the books, you of it to yourself to read them...the story is much better in the books.

message 28: by Gary (new)

Gary Gillen | 14 comments Of the series mentioned in this post, I have read these.
The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov
The Old Man’s Series by John Scalzi
The Expanse Series by James S.A. Corey
The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Alliance-Union Universe Series by C.J. Cherryh
The Ender’s Game Series by Orson Scott Card

Series I have read and would suggest reading are.
The Hainish Cycle Series by Ursula Le Guin
The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
The Uplift Saga by David Brin
The Saga of Pliocene Exile by Julian May

message 29: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 1276 comments Mod
slowly working my way through Foundation: very enjoyable

1 book left in Old Man's: fun

took a pause but will be returning to Vorkosigan: loved it!

I read Ender's Game & Uplift in college, thanks to my roommate: loved them!

I read Pliocene in early high school, probably didn't understand much of it but still loved it. need to re-read

I'll add that I'm working my way through some Hamilton & Reynolds series as well. they are like polar opposites temperamentally, really enjoy them both.

just finished book 5 in The Company series. really enjoying it.

I've been reading this series of pulp scifi novels by E.C. Tubb: Dumarest Saga. a lot of fun. grim fun, but still fun.

and finally, I'm slowly working my way through Culture series. fascinating series. Matter is up next.