SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Members' Chat > Voluntary Request for SCIENCE!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Every now and then, our passions get to help someone! Miranda from Newcastle University is working on a research project called "Prospecting Futures Online" with a goal "to analyse how science fiction readers engage with social and science futures. The project aims to understand reading group practices and activities, explore the dynamics of social and cultural networks" as it was explained to me.

What it means is that, if you're willing, Miranda would like to read the conversations we'd already be having about science fiction books, and, if you agree, use some of our comments in her research. All of this is totally optional. If you don't want to have your words used, you can still participate in the discussion without fear. If you are interested in participating, there's a consent form and she might reach out to you to discuss things a bit more.

If anyone at any time feels uncomfortable, let me know and we'll take appropriate action. We will be monitoring things as usual and upholding the same rules of discussion as ever. But, wouldn't it be cool if we get to help shape our own science fiction future just a bit?!

If you're up for it, here's the consent form. http://unsettlingscientificstories.co...

And if you'd like to know more, here is a link to her own explanation.

You may also feel free to ask questions here :)

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike I don’t really understand the gist of what she’s trying to parse, but I assume everything I say online is open to the public anyway, so sure; I’m in.

Although anyone with a spare five minutes could easily find my real name, I’m kinda halfway anonymized anyway, as I’ve been online as “Trike” since July of 1985. (Yes, 1985. My 33rd anniversary of being online is this week.)

message 3: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 685 comments Allison, while I am a member of this group, I am more a writer than a reader and wouldn't be able to comment much on sci-fi books in general. Would this Miranda still be interested in my opinions?

message 4: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Michel wrote: "Allison, while I am a member of this group, I am more a writer than a reader and wouldn't be able to comment much on sci-fi books in general. Would this Miranda still be interested in my opinions?"

I'll let her answer, but my understanding is that she's going to be monitoring certain threads in particular (like the re-read of Annihilation and the group read of the cli-fi read).

@Miranda, are you sticking just to a few threads or should anyone interested consent so you can browse?

message 5: by Miranda (last edited Jul 09, 2018 02:59PM) (new)

Miranda (mirandaio) | 11 comments Hi all,

Thanks @Allison for the introduction! As you say, with your consent, I'll be following and participating in specific book threads.

The project has scope to go wider, depending on your interest (for example the thread on 'Why isn't climate change more prominent in sci-fi' is really interesting)

For those of you that consent I would love to pursue follow-up interviews. I'm interested in all perspectives @Michel :)

Hi @Trike - thanks! 1985 - impressive. If you could sign the online consent form I'd be chuffed!

The project is looking at how science fiction readers engage with the different kinds of futures that emerge from scientific innovations and their social implications, so I'm really interested in understanding how reading groups - such as SFFBC - think and talk together about books. Excited to join in!

message 6: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1018 comments I'm good with this

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2610 comments I’m also okay with this. I already filled out the form but figured maybe I should comment here too.

message 8: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Same!

message 9: by Hank (new)

Hank (hankenstein) | 1128 comments Trike wrote: "Although anyone with a spare five minutes could easily find my real name, I’m kinda halfway anonymized anyway, as I’ve been online as “Trike” since July of 1985. (Yes, 1985. My 33rd anniversary of being online is this week.) "

Since nobody else walked through the open door....I bet posting to usenet using punch cards was time consuming! And nobody has 5 spare minutes so you are safe (ish).

message 10: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Fine by me too!

message 11: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 444 comments I guess that as someone with my primary focus on fantasy, I would not be that great help for the experiment. Anyway, I wish you good luck.

message 12: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (mirandaio) | 11 comments Thanks all! @Dawn @Hank @Tomas if you want to take a look and sign the consent form I would really appreciate it :)

message 13: by Hank (new)

Hank (hankenstein) | 1128 comments I thought I did but I just did again any way.

message 14: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Oh, I missed it! Done!

message 15: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 444 comments I signed it, hopefully, I did it right. Good luck.

message 16: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (mirandaio) | 11 comments Thanks all!

Just a reminder that I'll be following the Parable of the Sower discussion and looking forward to reading it with you!