Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] 3rd Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The results are in!

Top 3:
- A book set by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country
- A book with a number in the title or on the cover
- A book with a person's name in the title

Bottom 4:
- A book with an ugly cover
- A book by a transgender author
- A book set in the city, state or area where you grew up
- A book in translation originally written in a language you haven't read a translation from before

Polarizing
- A book where the protagonist enters another world
- A book with at least one word in the title that can be found in our group name (scrambled)
- A domestic thriller

There were no close calls this round.

Results are calculated by subtracting the number of voters who put a prompt in their bottom 4 from those who put a prompt in their top 4 (top 4 - bottom 4). The totals are then compared to find the top result(s).

Total number of votes: 97

The fourth round of suggestions will open tomorrow, July 7, at 9:00am EST.

message 2: by Silvia (last edited Jul 06, 2018 07:05AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments One of my top made it! :) And one of my top was polarized ... :(
I am ok with the winners, although two of them are old categories, it's Ok because I enjoyed them the first time.

Also one of my top is on the bottom, but that's Ok because after voting I was thinking on the possible books for that category and started to regret that vote :P

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments Interesting choices. I like them. One of my votes was in the top 4, one in the bottom 4, and two were polarizing! It's fun to see what everyone thinks.

message 4: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2022 comments I also had a top vote end up in all three categories. I’m happy with the winners.

message 5: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Yay, two of the four I voted for made it in the Top Three (and the third was like 5th or 6th on my list of preferred prompts).

I was kinna hoping "domestic thriller" would make it just because it's not the type of book I usually read but it's such a hugely popular subgenre right now that I'd like a little push to give one of those a try.

message 6: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Just like last week, one of my top made it into the top and one of my bottoms was in the bottom.

This week one of my top 4 was in the bottom though so that was disappointing.

message 7: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1554 comments Mod
None of my top picks featured anywhere, which I guess is nice because they could get a second chance at some point.

The ugly cover and the area you grew up in were both in my bottom, so I was glad they got the boot. Ugly cover ended up on two different challenges I'm doing this year so I don't really want to do it again (plus it just hasn't been nearly as fun as I expected that one to be).

message 8: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Not bad... I have one top vote ending in top and two are polarizing and I have two bottom votes ending up in the bottom.

I liked the polarizing prompts because they are all new suggestions and haven't been on the list before. The titel and cover prompts doesn't really excite me but they are doable without having to read something that has not interest at all.

I'm glad that some of the bottoms didn't make it. They were just too limiting or difficult finding books for.

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1672 comments I would love some Mediterranean suggestions!

The other two were in my top four just because I knew I had some books I could use for those.

message 10: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8323 comments Mod
I'm happy with the top (although I didn't vote for the Mediterranean one, I feel like it can't be too difficult). I'm very glad that the translation one is in the bottom.

The ATY community spreadsheet has been updated with these results!

message 11: by dalex (last edited Jul 06, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Joan wrote: "I would love some Mediterranean suggestions!"

France is the super easy one for that, imo. A few of my favorite books set in France:

Hunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
Half-Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan
The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier
Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran
The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman
Chocolat by Joanne Harris

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie | 822 comments I haven't managed to pick a winner yet! At this rate if I did a rejects challenge with my non-winning votes it'd be bigger than the actual challenge :)

I'm happy with the top three though, and although one of my tops ended up in the bottom I know the "home location" style of suggestions are always a bit controversial, so it's not unexpected.

I'm sad that the word scramble didn't make it, but I already had my fun finding all the words I could from those letters and looking for potential reads.

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments I'm pleased with 3 of the bottom 4 , but I did vote for the city one as mine was London, and there are so many books written about London or set there. The winners will be easy for me , but I was hoping for the domestic thriller as there are lots of those to choose from

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie The winners are okay but not anything that rocks my world. They'll be easy if uninspired options. Two of my top choices were polarizing. One of my bottom choices is in the bottom, so that's good.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments It's interesting because as someone who has been doing the challenge for years, I find that I'm less likely to vote for something that has already been on previous challenges, but like the number & name prompt, once it's added to the list, I'm fine with it. Maybe I wouldn't feel that way about all repeat winners, but I think these two are good prompts since they're not too restrictive.

message 16: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8323 comments Mod
Marie wrote: "I haven't managed to pick a winner yet! At this rate if I did a rejects challenge with my non-winning votes it'd be bigger than the actual challenge :)

I'm happy with the top three though, and alt..."

The good thing about polarizing is that you can always re-suggest that as a topic if you really liked it (and it has a higher chance of winning in later polls, once a lot of the good ideas were used). I really liked the scramble idea and I may resubmit it in later polls if we haven't picked anything ATY-related.

message 17: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Joan wrote: "I would love some Mediterranean suggestions!"

Books set in France
Books set in Italy
Books set in Spain
Books set in Greece

message 18: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1672 comments I might do A Tale of Two Cities.

message 19: by Perri (new)

Perri | 796 comments Ha, I'm like what others said, fine with the choices although I didn't vote for any of them. I think the scramble one should be resubmitted with the possible words.

message 20: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1790 comments One of mine made the top; one, the bottom. And one - the scrambled title word - I read as just a word that could be scrambled into another word - not something having to do with the group name. Silly me. Maybe I'll suggest that instead...? Anyway, I'm just happy one of 'em made it in.

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2785 comments I agree w the bottom 4 and like the Mediterranean option. I have at least 3 books on my shelves that work. The other top 2 are ok but not as interesting. Easy enough to find, though.

message 22: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 743 comments For the Mediterranean prompt I might look for something from the Middle East or North Africa since I seem to read quite a few books from Mediterranean Europe.

message 23: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 943 comments Stacey wrote: "One of mine made the top; one, the bottom. And one - the scrambled title word - I read as just a word that could be scrambled into another word - not something having to do with the group name. Sil..."

That's how I interpreted it too. So, you're not alone in that boat.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2820 comments I'm fine with the winners, and already have books in mind for two of them. I wasn't expecting a person's name in the title to win, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm pleasantly surprised that my domestic thriller suggestion was polarizing. I half-expected it to be in the bottom 4 because I know a lot of people are tired of the genre (and the whole "girl/woman" in the title trend). I'll be doing that prompt regardless as part of my Top Picks challenge next year so it's not a big deal if it didn't make it.

message 25: by Bec (new)

Bec | 897 comments Ohh good for me. 2 of my top votes in the top and I only had 2 bottoms and they both came out in the bottom.

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) Happy with the winning topics here and have books in mind for all three already. There are books on my TBR list that fit perfectly :)

message 27: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 07, 2018 06:21AM) (new)

Rosemary | 420 comments Stacey wrote: "One of mine made the top; one, the bottom. And one - the scrambled title word - I read as just a word that could be scrambled into another word - not something having to do with the group name. Sil..."

I read it as a title containing any word that could be made out of the letters in the group name - so including A, An, And, The, To ... and I thought it would be too easy. So maybe if someone resubmits it, they might define it little differently, so it's clear and not so all-inclusive - or anyway so it's clear, since we seem to have a lot of different ideas about what it meant.

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments I've been out of touch for the weekend, so I'm just now getting to check the poll results & compare them to my votes. One of my top votes made the top three, three of my bottom votes made the bottom four (thank goodness!), and one of my top votes was polarizing.

Overall, I'm happy with the results, and I hope that maybe my other two top votes will be suggested again, since they weren't anywhere on the results list.