Play Book Tag discussion

The Minority Report
This topic is about The Minority Report
July 2018: Dystopian > Minority Report by Philip K. Dick

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Minority Report by Philip K. Dick ★★★★
Play Book Tag July 2018 Tag

In this dystopian future, violent crimes are prevented by exploiting three prophetic savants and comparing their predictions. It seems not to be an issue that three humans are basically strapped into place, connected to machines, with their brains' every thought scanned and analyzed. There is a little reference to training or molding the 'precogs' so that they are able to predict violence accurately. Although what that preparation entails is unexplained, it has grown in my imagination in disturbing detail.

The creator and leader of this unit of the police is suddenly implicated by the precogs, and takes matters into his own hands to try to figure out who has framed him and how.

There is little to no discussion about using the predictions to prevent the crimes by notifying the future criminals and trying to prevent the violence in ways other than simply incarcerating them permanently.

The story is short and moves quickly, with just enough of a skeleton of backstory for the plot to make sense. Written well, better than most, and holds up fairly well for being written over 60 years ago.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Saw the movie with Tom Cruise. Think that might ruin the book. The twist is gone. But I enjoyed the movie.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I have not seen the movie, but I have read that it is very different from the book. The twist might still be the same, though!

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Not sure. When I'm at a computer I will add a spoiler and you tell me if it's right.

message 5: by Jason (last edited Jul 05, 2018 07:23PM) (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments ❇Critterbee wrote: "I have not seen the movie, but I have read that it is very different from the book. The twist might still be the same, though!"

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 10, 2018 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I wish I hadn't seen the movie first... but I didn't even know it was a story at the time. I forget both versions now... maybe I should reread the story. Thanks!

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Replying to Jason

Regarding the plot twist in the movie:
(view spoiler)