2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
This topic is about The Sign of Four
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Sign of the Four (Sherlock Holmes #2)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jul 05, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Arthur Conan Doyle‘s book, The Sign of Four.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Randy, Suki, Ilona, Ashley

P.S. We are starting with the second book because the first book was read as a group read in June.

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 32
Week 2: 32
Week 3: 32
Week 4: 32

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I finished this one already, mostly because I was going out of town for about a week and didn't want to drag the whole Sherlock Holmes omnibus with me. I'll save spoiler comments for later but I did want to mention how strange I thought the first few pages were. I won't say anything more until a few other readers have checked in...

message 4: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4209 comments I finished it as well as I read it in a couple hours on Sunday while sitting in the sun and enjoying a glass of wine. The good life :)

I don't recall anything strange about the first couple of pages, but I'll check the book when I get home from work this evening.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments I am almost halfway done. The first pages really didn't have anything to do with the story.

(view spoiler)

This story is different than the first. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4209 comments Thanks for the reminder Ashley :)
I mostly saw it as an intro to the story, and wouldn't mind to see more random interaction between Sherlock and Watson!

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments Ilona wrote: "Thanks for the reminder Ashley :)
I mostly saw it as an intro to the story, and wouldn't mind to see more random interaction between Sherlock and Watson!"

I agree that it was an intro as (view spoiler)

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments I just finished. I like how this story goes in full circle. (view spoiler)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I guess I was referring to Sherlock Holmes' drug use in the first chapter. Holmes injects himself with a solution that contains 7% cocaine and alludes to using cocaine and, if I recall correctly, opium or heroin in the past. A book and movie from the 1970s, The Seven Per-Cent Solution, imagines Holmes as drug addict. I found the reference jarring and I wasn't expecting it at all.

Kelly Martin (kellymartinbooks) | 1 comments I haven't read The Sign of Four in a very long time. I'm trying to remember if it was my favorite... or least favorite of the Sherlock stories. I need to re-read The Sign of Four, though, because I don't really remember it well.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments Anyone still reading this? Final thoughts anyone? How did you think it stacked up to the first book in the series (A Study in Scarlet)?

message 12: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments I'm going to start reading in the next day or two-- my roommate got really sick and things have been pretty hectic around here, but they seem to be settling down now. It's not a long book, and should be a quick read.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments I finished this already. I this better than A Study in Scarlet. I liked how the back story fit into the story instead of being another section of the book and jumping into it. There was a better flow in this book.

message 14: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments I enjoyed the story a bit more than A Study in Scarlet, and on the whole it was quite straightforward, but there were a couple of weird side details in it.

(view spoiler)

I have never read the entire Holmes canon; The Sign of Four is one that I have not read before. From what I remember of what I have read, I think I prefer my Holmes in the short story format. There were parts in the first two books where I felt my interest lag, and I had to take a bit of a break and read something else before I went back to them. I am definitely looking forward to going back and rereading the short stories. It's been a long time since I've read them; The Speckled Band is the only one I remember clearly.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments Suki wrote: "From what I remember of what I have read, I think I prefer my Holmes in the short story format."

I'm definitely looking forward to getting to the short stories next month!

message 16: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4209 comments Me too!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.