Suspenseful Clues and Thrilling Reviews discussion

2018 Monthly Reading > July Reading Prompt: A BOOK THAT BEGINS WITH THE FIRST LETTER IN YOUR NAME

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) Hello readers! This month our prompt is to choose a book that begins with the first letter of your name. This could be your first, middle, or last name, so get creative! Feel free to share your choices below, along with links to your review once you've finished it so that we can read your thoughts. <3 Happy reading!

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) In an attempt to plow through some of my unread shelf at home, I'll be reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. I've been on a huge YA fantasy kick lately and can't wait to go back in time with this one!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Berry (jessicaannberry) | 6 comments This is a fun way to choose a book! Scrolling through my "to read" shelf, I don't see any J titles that I actually own. I'll check the library digital catalogue.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) Jessica wrote: "This is a fun way to choose a book! Scrolling through my "to read" shelf, I don't see any J titles that I actually own. I'll check the library digital catalogue."

Sounds good Jessica! Anything with your middle or last name's first letter?

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pineda | 1 comments I am going to read No One Ever Asked by Katie Ganshert because it’s on my to read list and it’s so unlike anything I usually read. But I’m also going to read Needful Things by Stephen King because I’ve always wanted to and haven’t ever gotten around to it. Seeing as how this is a suspense group I’ll read the Stephen King book first. Lol. The Christian fiction I’ll save for second. But I’m glad this prompt, and my name being Natalie, is having me dive into both of these titles. Good pick for the prompt, Chelsea!

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) Natalie wrote: "I am going to read No One Ever Asked by Katie Ganshert because it’s on my to read list and it’s so unlike anything I usually read. But I’m also going to read Needful Things by Stephen King because ..."

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on both of these Natalie!

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Anze | 16 comments I will be reading Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, the short story collection. It has not been on my TBR for that long but I am curious as to how it compares to dame Agatha Christie (whom I absolutely love). I am very excited for this choice. Great prompt!

message 8: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Williams | 1 comments Thanks this helps me pick my next read Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz!

message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) Marianne wrote: "Thanks this helps me pick my next read Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz!"

Stephanie wrote: "I will be reading Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, the short story collection. It has not been on my TBR for that long but I am curious as to how it compares to dame Agatha Christie (whom I a..."

Excellent choices!!

message 11: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 4 comments That's an easy one and as luck will it I just started a few minutes ago And Then God Said... - the content is interesting but there're so many errors I really hope I'll stick to the end.

message 12: by Candice (new)

Candice | 52 comments I didn't have much luck with the C's although I have some titles that have C in them like "The Chalk Man" and "The Crying Boy. Anyone ever read those titles?

Also my initals are CLP

I need help picking something if you have read any of these let me know please.

Lies she told
Little Lost Boy

The Perfect Girl
The Perfect Girlfriend
Pluto's Ghost

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) "K" - lot of tougher than you'd think

I've decided to read King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

message 14: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments Candice wrote: "I didn't have much luck with the C's although I have some titles that have C in them like "The Chalk Man" and "The Crying Boy. Anyone ever read those titles?

Also my initals are CLP

I need help p..."

Candice, I have read " The Chalk Man " I won it in a goodreads giveaway! It was a very creepy read especially the ending. I was trying to figure it out the whole way through.

message 15: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments I am going to read " The Tuscan Rose " by Belinda Alexandra. This book has been on my to read list for so long!!

message 16: by Candice (new)

Candice | 52 comments Thelma wrote: "Candice wrote: "I didn't have much luck with the C's although I have some titles that have C in them like "The Chalk Man" and "The Crying Boy. Anyone ever read those titles?

Also my initals are CL..."

Was it worth the read? Thanks for the advice

message 17: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments It was not a favorite for me because at times it felt a little slow but it was not bad. It did keep me guessing. I like the fact that I did not figure everything out before the reveal. The creepiness really bordered on the bizarre.

message 18: by Flying Monkey (new)

Flying Monkey | 0 comments Brad - I’ll be reading:

Bright We Burn
(The Conqueror’s Saga #3)
By Kiersten White

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4 comments I just started Still Waters by Viveca Sten. My initials are SLT - maybe I'll also pick an L book and a T book this month.

message 20: by Zuky (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 3 comments I just finished reading Z for Zachariah, which is perfect for this theme! I will come back with my review soon (but spoilers, it’s 5-stars!)

message 21: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) These are excellent choices!

message 22: by Dana (new)

Dana | 2 comments I'm going to read "The Chalk Man", for my middle initial, C.

message 23: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 16 comments Candice wrote: "Thelma wrote: "Candice wrote: "I didn't have much luck with the C's although I have some titles that have C in them like "The Chalk Man" and "The Crying Boy. Anyone ever read those titles?

Also my..."

Chalk Man is worth it!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) I have The Fifth to Die coming up. Fay is my middle name. . . 😎

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (bubbles492) | 4 comments I'm reading Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

Kerry | KerryGetsLiterary (kerrygetsliterary) | 1 comments As soon as I finish my current read, I'll be able to choose something with a K! I think I'll be going with The Kitchen House!

message 27: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Mejia | 4 comments Fun idea this month! I scoured my library and only found a few books that start with M.
First up will be Music for Wartime by Rebecca Makkai. (We were in a wedding together once and she's as lovely as she is brilliant.) Her new novel, The Great Believers, is getting rave reviews, but I've never gotten to this short story collection so am excited to dive in.
Second will be The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett, which I haven't read in probably twenty years. Really interested to see how it fares in a 2018 reread.
Thanks for the prompt, Chelsea!!

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin This is such an interesting prompt, I've never realized how few book title that start with the letter E I own.

message 29: by Candice (new)

Candice | 52 comments So I got two books but one book came into my library before the other. I am currently reading "Lies she told" for my middle intital after I'm done with that then I will be reading "The Chalk Man" for the first intital.

message 30: by Candice (new)

Candice | 52 comments Stacey wrote: "Candice wrote: "Thelma wrote: "Candice wrote: "I didn't have much luck with the C's although I have some titles that have C in them like "The Chalk Man" and "The Crying Boy. Anyone ever read those ..."

Thanks

message 31: by Candice (new)

Candice | 52 comments Dana wrote: "I'm going to read "The Chalk Man", for my middle initial, C."

Let me know what you think about that book. I put two books on hold, one being The Chalk Man but another book came in before that one. I will be reading it after I finish this book.

message 32: by Darreth (new)

Darreth Naylor (drrth8302) | 1 comments The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain

message 33: by Debra (new)

Debra  | 11 comments I am going to read The Disappearing by Lori Roy The Disappearing A Novel by Lori Roy

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 1 comments I know we probably wouldn’t normally count this but I’m going to read A Court of Mist and Fury. It is an A start lol

Just that normal we skip A’s and The’s hahah

message 35: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) Amy wrote: "I know we probably wouldn’t normally count this but I’m going to read A Court of Mist and Fury. It is an A start lol

Just that normal we skip A’s and The’s hahah"

Love this! I totally approve. 🤣🙌🏼💕

message 36: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments I found another T book. I am going to try to read both. The Second book is Those who save us by Jenna Blume.

message 37: by Candice (last edited Jul 08, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Candice | 52 comments Just finished "Lies she told" here is a link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 38: by Nikki (new)

Nikki S. | 1 comments I found a book that starts with a N that’s also on Reese Witherspoon’s book club list! It’s “Next year in Havana” and I can’t wait to read!! Reese recommends so many great reads! 💕

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Lyn | 1 comments This is actually a pretty fun challenge!!! I’m going to pick “Damsel” by Elana Arnold. It’s an ARC, so I can use this challenge to knock it off. LOL. I’m using my last name for this prompt.

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily Hitch | 3 comments Erin wrote: "This is such an interesting prompt, I've never realized how few book title that start with the letter E I own."

Ditto!!

message 41: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4 comments I just finished Still Waters. It's the first in a series and I'm looking forward to the second book. I am not experienced in writing reviews (nor am I very good at it), but here is a link to my short review - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... For anyone interested in reading a comprehensive review of the book, the first two on goodreads are highly recommended.

To continue with this month's prompt, I'm starting Let Me Lie by Claire Mackintosh. My middle initial is L.

message 42: by Stacey (last edited Jul 11, 2018 04:01PM) (new)

Stacey | 16 comments I'm going to knock off an arc, too! The Family Tabor. My last initial is F.

message 43: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) These are fantastic choices! I’m about halfway through with my choice and loving it so far. Hoping to finish it this week while on the road traveling.

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (bubbles492) | 4 comments Just finished "Sadie" by Courtney Summers...that book tore me up

message 45: by Debra (new)

Debra  | 11 comments I finished my choice The Disappearing and it was a 3 star read for me. It has a southern Gothic feel but it failed to "wow" me.

Here is a link to my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by BeccaJBooks (new)

BeccaJBooks Breaking Creed

I'll be starting this book next week! Quite excited as I've read a lot of Alex Kava and her Maggie O'Dell series, but not any of the Ryder Creed series!

B x

message 47: by Supriya (new)

Supriya (supriyaraman) | 1 comments What a fun way to pick books! Serious men by Manu Joseph is a book I really enjoyed. Some kinks for sure, but overall, a great read!

message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Anze | 16 comments Just finished with Sherlock Holmes and I absolutely love it. A definite 5 star book for me. My review is below for anyone who is interested. Thanks so much for the prompt. Otherwise this book would have sat unread for some time more.

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy Kelly I read two that started with a for this month! And She Was by Alison Gaylin and All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker.. both were great reads!!!

message 50: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Mejia | 4 comments I just finished Music for Wartime by Rebecca Makkai and was in awe of her storytelling abilities. Thanks for the prompt, Chelsea, because it finally got this amazing collection out of my TBR pile! Here's my review:

« previous 1