Atlas Shrugged
This topic is about Atlas Shrugged
Atlas Shrugged - July-Sept 2018 > Atlas Shrugged - Part 1 - Non-Contradiction

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1751 comments Mod
Discuss Part 1 - Non-Contradiction here

Jessica | 118 comments I feel I might be the only one reading it... But it's actually rather good. It is a bit demoralizing to have had a great reading spurt and to then see only 1-2% progress on the goodreads meter though ;-).

I much prefer the paper over the audio-version here. The narrator (Scott Brick) has a very flat tone and the rhythm of his speech is the same no matter what. Especially, when he's voicing Rearden his voice misses the grit I feel this though man of steel needs. Nevertheless, I did end up using a precious audible credit as I had a long train journey ahead and a day where I just couldn't carry the 2 pound book around.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica wrote: "I feel I might be the only one reading it... But it's actually rather good. It is a bit demoralizing to have had a great reading spurt and to then see only 1-2% progress on the goodreads meter thou..."

I read this years ago so I am keeping my eyes out for discussion! :)

Sorry to hear that about the audio. Scott Brick is one of my favorite narrators, so I am sad to hear this delivery is not working for you.

Glenda | 61 comments Jessica wrote: "I feel I might be the only one reading it... But it's actually rather good. It is a bit demoralizing to have had a great reading spurt and to then see only 1-2% progress on the goodreads meter thou..."

I'm about 220 pages in and I'm enjoying it so far as well. It's much more accessible than I thought it would be.

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glenda wrote: "I'm about 220 pages in and I'm enjoying it so far as well. It's much more accessible than I thought it would be. "

The accessibility also surprised me a lot. Doesn't read like a big, scary book! :)

Glenda | 61 comments Matthew wrote: "Glenda wrote: "I'm about 220 pages in and I'm enjoying it so far as well. It's much more accessible than I thought it would be. "

The accessibility also surprised me a lot. Doesn't read like a big..."

:D For some reason I always thought it would be something like Joyce's Ulysses, thank goodness it's not, ha!

Jessica | 118 comments I also was rather scared by the size, as if size equals a very difficult reading experience! It is actually very easy to read, although the chapters are very long and at times I have to actively plan a reading break.

I just finished part I, wow that was a sudden thrill! I did lose a lot of my compassion for Dagny. I understand her frustrations working with incompetent, short-sighted, loud people getting their way... But her preoccupation with profit as sole motivation is a bit much.

I am looking forward to meeting John Galt (I mean he must show up soon, right?) and see where it all goes. So, undaunted I'll head into part II.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica wrote: "I did lose a lot of my compassion for Dagny. I understand her frustrations working with incompetent, short-sighted, loud people getting their way... But her preoccupation with profit as sole motivation is a bit much."

I believe this is one of the main ideas in the book that follow Rand's beliefs and causes people to pan the book. I didn't find it to be too extreme, but many feel that the ideas are oppressive.