Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Challenge 2018 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Someone Else Pick It For Me- August

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 917 comments Mod
I'm posting this somewhat early because I will be out of town and offline when I usually post up, but I wanted to be sure that I had everything in place for business as usual around here. :) If I could beg a favor? Those old pros who know how this works, could you please be on the watch and help out any newcomers who might have questions or be confused by the process? Thanks a bunch!

If you are willing to place one of your August reading choices in the hands of another person, leave a comment here with at least five books and no more than ten from your TBR shelf. Participants need to leave comments no later than July 25th.

Here's how it will work:
Sophia will match people up and leave a comment with a list of who will choose for whom.
When you see the person you are to pick for, then just look at their list in the above comments and leave a new comment with their name and the book you chose for them by July 31st.

You also need to watch and see what book your person chose from your list for you.
You have the rest of the month to read the book.

So if this sounds like something you would like to do, just comment below leaving your name and list of book choices for someone to pick your August book.

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Hmm, what mood will I be in by August? LOL So, I'll toss a bunch of older ones down to keep clearing those shelves. :) Pick me a good one!

1. The Exploits & Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy by Elizabeth Aston
2. The Red Chrysanthemum by Linda Beutler
3. Must've Done Something Good by Cherry Cory
4. Disappointed Hopes by Cassandra Grafton
5. Find Wonder in All Things by Karen M. Cox
6. The Dr Pepper Prophecies by Gilby Roberts
7. Persuade Me by Juliet Archer
8. Mr. Darcy Came to Dinner by Jack Caldwell
9. Mrs. Dashwood Returns by Lucia Edgerton
10. The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen by Syrie James

message 3: by Kirk (last edited Jul 10, 2018 10:38PM) (new)

message 4: by J. W. (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:21PM) (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments I'm in... J. W. Garrett’s 2018 Someone Else Pick It For Me - August

1) The Cousins Series [3-Book Box-set] by Jennifer Joy
2) Leaving Bennet Behind Series [Books 1-3] by Sarah Johnson
3) Another Darcy [4-books Bundle] by Jane Grix
4) Darcy and Elizabeth What-If? [Book 1-3] By Jennifer Lang
5) Dearest Friends Collection [2-Books] by Pamela Lynne
6) Elizabeth, Darcy and Me Series [3-Books] by Georgina Young-Ellis
7) Mercy’s Embrace [Books 1, 2, &3] Laura Hile
8) Imperative [Books 1&2] Linda Wells

There are several series, bundles, box-sets, or collections located in the deepest, darkest depths of my TBR pile. When you choose for me, I am obligating myself to reading the set. Even though I keep adding to this list… it is cleaning out my dusty book shelf.

message 5: by Sara (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Sara | 218 comments Man, my list is super long, but here goes:

1- Accidentally Yours (Yours by Design, #1) by Robin M. Helm
2- Follies Past A Prequel to Pride and Prejudice by Melanie Kerr Follies Past: A Prequel to Pride and Prejudice
3- My Brother's Keeper by Jann Rowland
4- Darcy's Big Wish by Cassandra B. Leigh Darcy's Big Wish
5-A Second Chance for Happiness: A Novel of Darcy and Elizabeth
6- Fitzwilliam Darcy, Fugitive by Melanie Schertz
7- Fitzwilliam Darcy Such I Was by Carol Cromlin
8-
9- The Pride of Pemberley A Pride and Prejudice Variation by April Karber The Pride of Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
10- The Meryton Murders A Mystery Set in the Town of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice by Victoria Grossack

Trying to dig some out of my TBR pile that are OLD!

message 7: by Anji (last edited Jul 05, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Anji | 291 comments I'm choosing titles to fit in with my self-imposed 'alphabet challenges' and have chosen from some of my 'missing' letters for titles and authors.

Titles:
1. Game of Kings by Anthea Carson - "G" is the only title I've got a gap for!

Authors:
2. Ginger Monette - Tree of Life: Charlotte & the Colonel
3. Heather C. Myers - Swimming in Rain
4. Isabelle Mayfair - Never So Bewitched By Any Woman: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
5. Ola Wegner - One More Chance

Going to have to use a bit of licence with my "U", "X" and "Y" choices, as I don't have any published works by an author whose first name begins with those letters. so, here goes:
6. Master Under Good Regulation by Kara Lo"U"ise
7. Find Wonder in All Things by Karen M. Co"X"
8. Pride & Prejudice & Assassinations by Leo Charles Ta"Y"lor

message 8: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments I'm back too, here is my list:

1/ The assistant: before P&P by Riana Everly
2/ Confounding Caroline by Leenie Brown
3/ The arrangement to save Pemberley by Katie Naylor
4/ Dear Sir, Dear Madam by Mary lydon Simonsen
5/ Assumptions and absurdities by Cinnamon Worth
6/ The 26th of November: a P&P comedy of farcical proportions by Elizabeth Adams

message 9: by Patricia (last edited Jul 25, 2018 03:17PM) (new)

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments Kirk wrote: "PURR~suasion by Renee Riva

Suspense and Sensibility Or, First Impressions Revisited (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #2) by Carrie Bebris

After the Letter A Persuasion Continuation by Meg Osborne

[bookcover:Persua..."

you seem to be in a persuasion mood! :)

message 11: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Hahaha! Yes! :)

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments I'm going on vacation next week so might not choose mine till I get back

message 13: by Sophia (new)

Sorry for the late post, everyone! Here are the names picking for one another. Please let your person know what book you have chosen for them by August 1st. Name on the left picks for the name on the right.
Happy Reading!!!!

Tlotem > Sophia
Patricia > Anji
Anji > JW
Kristin > Sara
Kirk > Patricia
JW > Tlotem
Sara > Kirk
Sophia > Kristin

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Howdy, Kristin!

I'm picking Crossed in Love because its new to me. Hope you enjoy it.

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments Anji I am choosing Tree of Life Charlotte & the Colonel by Ginger Monette

Out of all the books this sounds most interesting and I can not wait to read what you have to say about this.

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara | 218 comments Kirk,

I pick this for you Suspense and Sensibility: Or, First Impressions Revisited ENJOY! I'm curous about your thoughts. Looks interesting to me. Didn't read the first myself.

message 17: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Sophia wrote: "Howdy, Kristin!

I'm picking Crossed in Love because its new to me. Hope you enjoy it."

Thanks ☺

message 18: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Sara, I'm going to go for Accidentally yours. Hope you enjoy it ☺

message 19: by Kirk (last edited Aug 18, 2018 09:29AM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Hi Patricia! I'm choosing Engaging Mr. Darcy (An Austen Inspired Romantic Comedy)
by Rachel John

message 20: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Sara wrote: "Kirk,

I pick this for you Suspense and Sensibility: Or, First Impressions Revisited ENJOY! I'm curous about your thoughts. Looks interesting to me. Didn't read the first myself."

Hi Sara! Thanks!!! She better treat Marianne very well indeed. Cheers!!

message 21: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Patricia wrote: "Kirk wrote: "PURR~suasion by Renee Riva

Suspense and Sensibility Or, First Impressions Revisited (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #2) by Carrie Bebris
Dept of Irony: Persuasion ones not selected!
After the Letter A Persuasion Continuation by Meg Osborne

[boo..."

message 22: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments Kirk wrote: "Hi Patricia! I choose Jane Austen's First Love. Goodreads tells me I enjoy it. Enjoy your vacation!!!"

Will do! :)

My mom and I came across a b and b that does jane austen theme weekends in Vermont. I am so excited for it!

message 23: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments Hello Sophia,
I'm choosing " Persuade me " by Julia Archer. I haven't read it and I'm interesting in what you think about it.
Have a nice holiday

message 24: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Patricia wrote: "Kirk wrote: "Hi Patricia! I choose Jane Austen's First Love. Goodreads tells me I enjoy it. Enjoy your vacation!!!"

Will do! :)

My mom and I came across a b and b that does jane austen theme week..."

Enjoy!!! One of my Austen book clubs went there in January for a weekend. They had a good time (I wasn't able to go).

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 201 comments I seem to have missed the notice for this one. I've only spotted this now. Oh well. I'll have to wait till next time. Enjoy your reads everyone.

message 26: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Tlotem wrote: "I'm back too, here is my list:

4/ Dear Sir, Dear Madam by ..."

Hey Tlotem... I am picking #2 Confounding Caroline. It is a short read and I really enjoyed it. I haven't read the others. Hope you enjoy it.

message 27: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Patricia wrote: "Anji I am choosing Tree of Life Charlotte & the Colonel by Ginger Monette

Out of all the books this sounds most interesting and I can not wait to read what you have to say about this."

Thanks Patricia. Not sure when I'll be able to get to it as I've just heard tonight that I'll be getting another book to beta imminently and I'm expecting a second very soon. I might not get it read in August but I WILL read it!

message 28: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments J. W. wrote: "I'm in... J. W. Garrett’s 2018 Someone Else Pick It For Me - August

1) The Cousins Series [3-Book Box-set] by Jennifer Joy
2) Leaving Bennet Behind Series [Books 1-3] by Sarah Johnson
3) Another D..."

Hi Jeanne! My choice for you is the Dearest Friends set by Pamela Lynne. I love her writing and I'm pretty sure you're going to enjoy these two.

message 29: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Thanks Anji... I've been looking forward to reading those.

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara | 218 comments J. W. wrote: "Thanks Anji... I've been looking forward to reading those."

Ooh, Dearest Friends is good! You'll like it.

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara | 218 comments Kristin wrote: "Sara, I'm going to go for Accidentally yours. Hope you enjoy it ☺"

Thanks Kirstin. I'll grab it and put it in my Que. I've been dancing around that one for a while now. :)

message 32: by Sophia (new)

Thank you, Tlotem!

I've wanted to try this one for a while. Now I have the proper motivation. :)

message 33: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Sara... glad you liked Anji's choice for me. I've had them on my list for sometime so I was glad she picked them for me.

message 34: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments J. W. wrote: "Tlotem wrote: "I'm back too, here is my list:

4/ Dear Sir,..."

Thank you Jeanne, I'm looking forward to reading it

message 35: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments Done Jeanne, as you told me it was a quick and enjoying read. I gave it 4* .
I enjoyed seeing Darcy working on all his mistakes. Jane was brilliant in this book. But I found Elizabeth too easily being persuaded to change her mind about Darcy.
It's the first book I'm reading from this author because none of her books are on KU.

message 36: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Great Tlotem... I thought you'd like something quick. I hope you get a chance to read more of her work.

message 37: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Sara wrote: "Kirk,

I pick this for you Suspense and Sensibility: Or, First Impressions Revisited ENJOY! I'm curous about your thoughts. Looks interesting to me. Didn't read the first myself."

Thank you Sara! Giving this one 3.75. As someone wrote in their review...the 1st half was fantastic...the 2nd was... paranormal?!!? I certainly wasn't expecting that! And Marianne Brandon only appeared very briefly. :( :( :(

message 38: by Sophia (new)

Great read, Tlotem!

I loved Persuade Me. I need to read the rest of the series now. :)

message 39: by J. W. (last edited Aug 18, 2018 08:37PM) (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments I forgot to mention that I finished my two books from the August pick:

Dearest Friends: A Jane Austen Inspired Novel
Family Portraits: A Dearest Friends Continuation

Thanks for the pick Anji. I loved them. I plan to read Lynne's other book during the Dusty Shelf in September.

message 40: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments Sophia wrote: "Great read, Tlotem!

I loved Persuade Me. I need to read the rest of the series now. :)"

I'm glad you enjoyed it Sophia, I will put it on my wish list

message 41: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Patricia wrote: "Anji I am choosing Tree of Life Charlotte & the Colonel by Ginger Monette

Out of all the books this sounds most interesting and I can not wait to read what you have to say about this."

Thanks for choosing this one for me, Patricia. I actually managed to get it finished in August (just), which I didn't think I'd do at one point. What I hadn't realised was how big a part the Christian faith played in the plot. As I'm not a person of any faith, that's normally quite a put-off for me. However, I found that it fitted into the story quite well, without being overly preachy. And I loved this outcome for our favourite Colonel!