A Good Thriller discussion

Books > What Is The Book That Started You On Thriller/Mysteries

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9782 comments Mod
We all love thrillers and mysteries of all kinds...

But what book started you on this genre.

For me I guess as a teenager I started reading Alistair MacLean.

So I guess it would be books from him especially favourites.

Where Eagles Dare
Ice Station Zebra
and the best The Guns Of Navarone....

message 2: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Like most South Asians I began reading Sidney Sheldon foremost. Bloodline and Windmill of the Gods are quite good.

message 3: by Christine (last edited Jun 29, 2018 02:21PM) (new)

Christine  (clt04) | 5671 comments The Lawrence Sanders books. The book that got me away from America only and into the fabulous world of British thrillers is Now You See Me by Sharon Bolton.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 605 comments This may sound weird but the books that got me interested in mysteries/ thrillers were the Goosebumps books. I read them when I was a kid and that's when I developed my love for suspense.

message 6: by Perri (new)

Perri For me, I guess it would be the Nancy Drew books :)

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Great Minds, Perri.

message 8: by Valleri (new)

Valleri Perri wrote: "For me, I guess it would be the Nancy Drew books :)"

Yes, Perri! Same for me.

message 9: by Deb (new)

Deb Jones (feisty56) | 15 comments Val wrote: "Perri wrote: "For me, I guess it would be the Nancy Drew books :)"

Yes, Perri! Same for me."
The same for me, Perri...Nancy Drew, then the Hardy Boys when I'd read all of the Drew books -- and haven't looked back yet.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale After Nancy Drew, it was Trixie Belden.

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb Jones (feisty56) | 15 comments Does anyone remember the Encyclopedia Brown series for kids? Those were great because as the reader you were able to figure out the solution to the mystery along with the main character and check out your accuracy at the end of each short story.

message 12: by Maureen (last edited Jun 30, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

Maureen Carden | 395 comments Sean wrote: "We all love thrillers and mysteries of all kinds...

So I guess it would be books from hi..."

I was very young when I started reading Alistair McLean and those books prepared me a bit for TKAM, in showing me that not all books had a happy ending or that not all characters survived.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Lord (annalordauthor) | 188 comments Enid Blyton: Famous Five

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine  (clt04) | 5671 comments Gosh, I didn't go back far enough. It was actually Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys for me too!

message 15: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5784 comments Mod
Famous Five by Enid Blyton as a kid. Patricia Cornwell as an adult. Her earlier Scarpetta books were great.

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Deb wrote: "Does anyone remember the Encyclopedia Brown series for kids? Those were great because as the reader you were able to figure out the solution to the mystery along with the main character and check o..."

I do.

message 17: by D.C. (last edited Jul 03, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

D.C. Gilbert (dcgilbert) | 21 comments Alister MacClean did it for me too. Bear Island, Breakheart Pass, Ice Station Zebra, and Where Eagles Dare were all favorites of mine while growing up.

message 18: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9782 comments Mod
I also read an author called Sven Hassall.

War books, but gripping and shocking, as true stories based on his career in the war

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (manka23) A book that recently got me on my mystery kick is One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

message 20: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8230 comments Maureen wrote: "Sean wrote: "We all love thrillers and mysteries of all kinds...

So I guess it would be ..."

Oh, I loved those! I remember finding some of the interesting ones in our local used bookstore.

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments Do not know which book of the series or maybe it was the whole series, but the Nancy Drew books. After that when I was older, I cannot recall what got me pretty much only reading this genre. Carol Higgins Clark? I read a lot of here way back.

Vickiswansonme.com | 1 comments the first mystery i read was Not a Penny more Not a Penny less by Jeffrey Archer

The first thriller I read was The concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly - as you can guess I developed my love for reading a quite a mature age - it was never encouraged in my childhood days - I loved the Little Golden Books back then - does anyone remember them - however my parents always snatched them away and would demand I go outside in the sunshine - how sad hey ! I actually grew to believe that fiction reading was a waste of time - how tragic - now I simply can't get enough time to devour all the wonderful literature available to me. Reading reviews is also one of my favourite pastimes xx

message 23: by Ellison (new)

Ellison Cooper (ellison_cooper) | 9 comments This one is an easy question for me! Definitely The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1) by John Bellairs !

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (nightowl4) | 11 comments For me, it would have to be Agatha Christie!

message 25: by Swathi (new)

Swathi Shetty (swathishetty) | 2 comments Enid Blyton's mystery series and Agatha Christie. And when I was little older Sidney Sheldon's books.

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda Branich (mabranich) | 616 comments Me 2 Lisa! Probably back in 5th or 6th grade

message 27: by Juliana (new)

Juliana | 340 comments Mine was Lee Child - One Shot
I used to read chick lit and history now I read simple

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? (whatchatreadin) | 2098 comments Mod
I'm not sure which book it was that made me enjoy thrillers and mysteries, but I used to love reading the Choose your own Adventure books when I was a kid.

message 29: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 359 comments Christopher Pike
rl stine

message 30: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 359 comments the picture is christopher pike

message 31: by iasa (new)

iasa Wow, I don't really remember what the first mystery/thriller book I read was, but I have always loved the genre. It could have been Encyclopedia Brown, Nancy Drew, Agatha Christie or maybe Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders

message 32: by PamG (new)

PamG (lynguy1) | 1738 comments The earliest mystery/thriller books that I read were Nancy Drew books. I also read Encyclopedia Brown, Trixie Beldon, & the Hardy Boys series when I was a kid.

message 33: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (mrsjeune0518) | 82 comments BSC mysteries

message 34: by Anneke (new)

Anneke I am too old to remember that!

message 35: by Gautam (new)

Gautam Subramanian | 1 comments I have fond memories of reading Perry Mason mysteries by Earl S Gardner.

message 36: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 359 comments Patricia cornwell's books

message 37: by W (new)

W | 37 comments And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie was an unforgettable book.I recently read it again and enjoyed it every bit as much as I did all those years ago.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sargeant | 3 comments Intensity Dean Koontz

message 39: by Paul (new)

Paul Marks | 3 comments The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. My mom had this two volume set of mysteries on the shelf for years: A Treasury of Great Mysteries. And carried over from the spine of one to the other was a sinister silhouette of a man in a fedora and cape or something like that. And I always liked film noir and mystery movies and had heard of Chandler and seen the film, so one day I picked up this book and read The Big Sleep and was hooked ever since. And that was a long time ago.

message 40: by Valleri (new)

Valleri Anneke wrote: "I am too old to remember that!"

Hahaha, Anneke. I can relate!

message 41: by Janet (new)

Janet | 1 comments Encyclopedia Brown! The books that got me hooked on series mysteries are Travis McGee, and when I discovered Lord Peter Wimsey I was hooked forever

message 42: by Eric (new)

Eric | 11 comments Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews. Back in high school, this buddy kept raving about this novel. He let me borrow it and once I started it, I did not finish. I read that book through the night and did not sleep. It was also the book that opened my mind and interest to novels (up until this point it was just about comic books, Poe and horror story anthologies).

After this, I picked up a few early Stephen King paper books and my reading began with great earnest.

message 43: by Donna (new)

Donna Schmidt | 63 comments Eric wrote: "Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews. Back in high school, this buddy kept raving about this novel. He let me borrow it and once I started it, I did not finish. I read that book through the night and..."

Yes! Flowers in the Attic was one to get a thriller addiction started!

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 187 comments Lisa wrote: "Nancy Drew. I still read them now."

I'm with ya girl.

message 45: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1 comments Agatha Christie and Hammer Horror movies

message 46: by Marie (new)

Marie | 260 comments Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys when I was young. When I got older I dipped into the Ed McBain books, but I have forgotten what I read by him, so at some point I need to do a re-read of his books. :)

message 47: by Lynn (last edited May 30, 2019 01:53PM) (new)

Lynn | 2214 comments Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew as a young child. As a teen I liked Gothic Historical Mystery who done it books, and also loved Poe. I think my first psychological thriller was in an English class called the Psychological Implications of Literature in High School. Can’t for the life of me remember what the book was. I remember The Great Gatsby but not the thriller. LOL not like it wasn’t 40+ years ago. Basically let’s just say that I was hooked at See Jane Run, See Dick Run. 📚

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) I read "The Three Investigators" series when I was a kid, but the first "adult" mystery I read (at around age 10) was "A Murder Is Announced" by Agatha Christie. Aft that, I was hooked.

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn The Hardy Boys and also Nancy Drew

message 50: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 130 comments Maybe Nancy Drew but really don't remember.

« previous 1