MyNextList (former FictFact) Users discussion

How do you read your series books?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teri Pre (new)

Teri Pre | 89 comments How many series do you have going at once? Do you read series in order? What makes you give up on a series?

And really...don't you think that the plural of "series" should be "serieses"??

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ aka Barbara (tirla) | 2 comments I absolutely read a series in order..I'm OCD about it. I usually read a series back to back...unless I lose interest and if that happens I tend to not go back to the series.

Or the plural could be Seri? *grin*

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I read around 90% of series in order. If I get a recomendation from a person I trust that a particular book can be read out of order, then I'll give it a shot.

According to my 'next in series' shelf, which as it implies, has the next book in each series I'm thinking to continue, I have 70 series ongoing.

Series is already plural. :) By definition, it's a group of things. :) Even if a book is the first in a series, the idea is that more will come.

message 4: by Teri Pre (new)

Teri Pre | 89 comments DG, I know that series is already plural but it seems like there should be more to it when talking about more than one series. I love t'irla's suggestion of "Seri" :)

As for series, I have 10 series going at once and when I've read one of the books in that series, I move it to the top of the "Next Book" list. (I read from the bottom of that list.) When I finish, I move the next book up the list. And between each series book, I read a non-series one. I get bored easily! :)

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Schwartz | 2 comments I've been reading numerous series for years. I keep track with an electronic page. Series that I'm currently going through were entered in order and as I read a book I take it off the list. Once I've completed a series, I move it down to upcoming list on the page. I list the author's name and add new books to the series as they're announced. Once I've read the book, I remove it from the list but keep the author's name. When a new book is announced I add it to the author's name. If I abandon a series, and I have done so quite a bit because the series seems stale and I find I'm no longer interested, I just remove the author's name from my upcoming list. It's been working a treat for me for years. Long before fictfact and goodreads.

message 6: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 1 comments I usually have one series going at once, but occasionally the next book in a series I've already read is released and I might sneak that one in then go back to the series I was reading.
I read a series in order. I want to get the most out of a series, and that's the way to do it.
I'll give up on a series if a few books in a row are really bad. I did that with the Undead series by Davidson. Usually it's a series that was okay, but not great, or was getting bogged down. Sometimes I'll take a break from a series then go back to it. I did that with the BDB series.

message 7: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Schwartz | 2 comments I read about four or five at a time and I alternate. For example I am reading the Rebus series, Det. Alan Banks, Mitchell & Markby, Maisie Dobbs and Jack Taylor right now plus the new releases from the series I've caught up on. I like variety in my reading.

message 8: by Teri Pre (new)

Teri Pre | 89 comments I have the Maisie Dobbs books coming up soon!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments Have to read them in order. And I'll usually wait to see if a second book is being released before I'll start it.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I only read in order otherwise I always feel like I'm missing something even if I'm not, lol!

I don't usually read back to back so as to not get burned out on the series so the books are usually spaced out one per month. There have been exceptions for series that only have one or two books or those that I've adored and could not wait to continue.

I've currently got 154 ongoing series although some of those are up to date and I'm waiting for the next books to be published. I've got 71 completed series.

message 11: by Gail (new)

Gail (thebookbabe) | 8 comments I used to be totally obsessive about reading books in order but I'm more flexible these days.

message 12: by Murphy (new)

Murphy (orchideyes) | 2 comments I read books in order but I am now cautious about reading the first in a series because many of them don't make it to the second book. I like to read the series if it has at least three books.

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen (jwolff) | 10 comments I bomb through entire series - or what's been released to date. Then I read what's next in the series as it comes out. If i really like it or it's been a really long time in between books, or if the last in a series is being released, I'll go head and reread the whole series prior to reading the next released book.

I read many series at once, simply because I need something to read while waiting for the next book to come out.

message 14: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (sunny2) | 8 comments Love series and read many, many at once.. I average 12 books a month and I would say 10 of them are a series book. Each book a different series. I try to read only new release, or recently released books. I do that because, with out fictfact I was buying and reading books that I had read before. If I read only recently released books that greatly reduced the odds of re buying a book I already owned and read. Then Fictfact arrived to tell me...Been there...done that.

If I hit a few average or less than average books I drop the series. There are too many other good ones out there to put up with that.

I skip, read the ones that interest me. To me a series is like a soap opera. You just pick up and carry on. The author makes sure you don't miss much. That does not apply however to the top notch series like BDB which I read in order and every single book.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (onerfw) | 2 comments I'm like Jen. If I find a new series, I have to start with the first book and breeze through the series. Then read the books as they come out. Also, I'll re-read the last book if it's been a long time between books.

I have been known to re-read the entire series as well. i can't tell you how many times I've read the In Death series!

message 16: by Murphy (new)

Murphy (orchideyes) | 2 comments Sunny☼ wrote: "Love series and read many, many at once.. I average 12 books a month and I would say 10 of them are a series book. Each book a different series. I try to read only new release, or recently release..."

I feel the same way and I have also re-read the In Death series several times!

message 17: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (sunny2) | 8 comments LOL Murphy...fist bump. I have stated my feelings in may threads over the years and I am definitely in the minority. So wonderful to find someone of like heart.

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne Bannon | 15 comments Shirley wrote: "I read about four or five at a time and I alternate. For example I am reading the Rebus series, Det. Alan Banks, Mitchell & Markby, Maisie Dobbs and Jack Taylor right now plus the new releases from..."

I have multiple series going. Like Shirley, I like variety. It does get to be a problem when I start a series, then don't get back to it for a while and I've forgotten the first book. So I'm working on finishing one series before starting a new one, but that does leave me with plenty of other series that I'm in the middle of.
Love Maisie Dobbs. Think I have the third one coming up.

message 19: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3 comments Too many series to count... I use FF to track my main series that are active, which is at 280+ But I only have half of the books listed on FF as I do on GR. I rarely read stand alone novels, most everything is a series book which I always read in order. Now I may skip novellas or short stories stuck in between. It takes a lot to get me to quit a series, but there are a few that I definitely continued when I should have stopped while at the top. Others end too soon.

message 20: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (frazerc) | 3 comments In order...

message 21: by • Tom • (new)

• Tom • (tomcollins88) | 10 comments I read mostly seri (I like that word).
As for the reading order, it depends on the series type.
1. Some series are just 1 long epic story, and won't make any sense reading them out of order.
2. Some are individual stories with a start & end, but make heavy references to prior volumes.
3. And then some series are made of stories with very little reference between them (i.e. book 1 is about a vampire clan in L.A., book 2 is about a different clan in N.Y., while book 3 is in Paris, etc...).

My reading style per series type:
1. These I will always read in order. And if complete, I'll read them back to back. I prefer waiting until the series is complete before I start it, as I don't like to wait what is often years to be able to finish the story.

2. These I will usually read in order. And if complete, I'll read them back to back. Since each one has an ending, I don't mind waiting for the next book.

3. I'll read these in any order as my interest is piqued. I may or may not read them back to back. I may or may not read them all.

I hate not finishing a story, so a story has to be pretty bad for me to abandon it in the middle.

I have many, many seri that I have completed. These are not included on my FF page. Seri that I have given up on are removed from my FF page.
I currently have 7 seri on my FF page, plus 1 more I just requested be added.

message 22: by Gee-Gee (new)

Gee-Gee (reads-for-fun) | 2 comments I love FictFact because now I can read my series (212) in order. When I hear about a new series, I will begin with the current book, and if I like it, I start at the beginning of the series in order to get all the back story. And, FictFact helps me keep up when a new entery in a series is published.

message 23: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie I usually read my series in order, whether they can be read individually as stand-alones, or whether each book is part of some larger story arc. Just works better for me. That's why I'm so thankful to FictFact!

According to FF, I'm following 136 series at the moment. However, there are several I need to delete due to lack of interest.

Hey, as anyone noticed that Amazon used to list reading order in the Kindle book descriptions, and now they don't? I wonder why they stopped. It was kind of handy.

message 24: by Joseph (last edited Aug 31, 2014 04:20PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 2 comments I read and collect too many series to count. I pretty much just read them as they come out, just jumping from series to series to series. When I discover an older series, I'll often read them from start to the most current title and then continue on from there with the new ones when they come out.

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 13 comments I read many series at a time and some stand alones if they pique my intrest.
I am a read in order person and have used goodreads for several years to keep track of everything, what I've read, what I want to read and the order of series. I just found FF last week and think it's going to be great.
When I start a series I check our local library system catalog to see what they have, then I start searching half.com and paperbackswap to find the books in order. One thing I do like about long running series is that I can read and read and not get to the end of the series to quickly. I read mostly cozies and started Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" series this summer. It's a great series, I'm ready to pick up book six at the library this week.

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) I like to read series beginning with the first book. It would bother me immeasurably if I began any other way.

message 27: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1 comments I'm like Michael and Murphy. I like to read seri (I like that word too!)in order and I usually wait until there are two or three books before I start a new series. I like getting "involved" with the characters and the story, so don't want to read one books. I do read stand-alones in between but I want a series to be more than one book.

message 28: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Sep 05, 2014 01:26AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Once upon a time, you never knew books were in a series or that a series was planned (even the big five didn't note on bookcovers) and there was no internet, much less fictfact or goodreads, to look that information up. And my book budget was tiny where I often got "bag of books" or whatever books I could by an author in secondhand stores or passed around among classmates (decades later I was still finding sporadic volumes in series where the missing ones were friend's copies).

So, I get a little giddy that I can now choose to read in order (or a suggested reading order) a series. And even pre-order the next before it's even released. Sometimes friend review warn of something like a cliffhanger ending or dragging storyline where I pause until more books in series are published.

I won't start a series by a new to me author if first book has a cliffhanger to make you buy the next even if entire series has been published.

For indie/self-published new-to-me authors I do wait until at least two books published and the flurry of mysteriously all 4-5 star rave reviews they "attract" conveniently in tandem with book launches die down. Then see how much drama occurs the first time a review doesn't gush; then checkout sample for myself and give it some time to make the rounds of reviewers I follow in case sample was misleading or author good behavior was temporary.

Otherwise, I now really like reading series of books in the published order (unless for some reason author has instead a suggested reading order).

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 34 comments Apparently I have 499 seri added to FF, though a few of them should be deleted I think.

I'm not obsessive about reading in order, especially as I started reading from the library and you take what you can get there.

I like to read in order if I own the books and often I will buy a completed series before starting the first one. I'm also a great re-reader, so I own a lot of books now.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 08, 2014 04:54AM) (new)

According to FictFact, I have 156 added series till date. That said, I'll have to admit, there might be some more series I might have completely missed or forgotten to add.

I'm very specific about reading series books in order. I start with the first book and go one by one. That way, I'll have a clearer idea about the world, characters, and setting of the series. I never read a series out of order. It would be totally bothersome if I read it any other way!

message 31: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 13 comments Preethi wrote: "According to FictFact, I have 156 added series till date. That said, I'll have to admit, there might be some more series I might have completely missed or forgotten to add.

I'm very specific abou..."

I agree 100%.....Must read in order.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) My fictfact says:

"Series: 293
Books: 851"

But, I'm positive some of those books and series are ones I decided right away I didn't like or have since dropped. I know I can unfollow series; it just works better for me if I mark books "skipped" so I know it wasn't a series I hadn't discovered yet (instead that it was definitely one I had been deliberately avoiding).

message 33: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) I am one of those people that always read a series in order.

message 34: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 13 comments Karen ♐ wrote: "I am one of those people that always read a series in order."

Me too Karen

message 35: by Janeiowa (last edited Oct 05, 2014 05:58AM) (new)

Janeiowa I, too, read a series in order. I have 60 listed at FictFact. When I find a new series or seri, as I did when I discovered Virginia Kantra and Jessica Scott, I then do marathon reads of all their published works in that series.

If it's months between books, I tend to read quickly through the last one [before the new one] to refresh the characters in my mind and get an intro to what are probably the main characters in the new one.

message 36: by Sue (new)

Sue If I buy a book and then find out that its part of a series, I won't read it until I read the books in the series that came before it. I must read my series in order!

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 13 comments Sue wrote: "If I buy a book and then find out that its part of a series, I won't read it until I read the books in the series that came before it. I must read my series in order!"

Hear Hear or should I say...Read Read!

message 38: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) Without FictFact, I'd be lost. I have 750 series I'm keeping track of on it.

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1 comments I hate to read books out of order. The only time is when I'm trying a new author or series and can't find the earlier books. I've put books away until I find the 1st books

message 40: by Glendapearl (new)

Glendapearl (Glenda_Pearl) | 3 comments @ Karen message 39: Me, too.

message 41: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Nov 11, 2014 06:05PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 4 comments The only time I read out of order is by accident. And I HATE when that happens. It doesn't happen often.

According to FF I have 160 series and 579 books. Some of these are treasured series on which I'm completely caught up, others are favorite series I'm working my way through, and a handful are either new-to-me series or series I've started that haven't grabbed me yet. And they all are either mysteries or thrillers.

message 42: by Dianne (new)

Dianne I have to read my series in order. If I lose interest in two books in a row I will start pushing the series aside by 4 I will have dropped it. I am not sure how many series I have going I am just now starting to put it all together.