Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Archive Read > Nominations for October from Archive

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (new)

Val Please nominate books from the Archive for us to read in October.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane How about Gillespie and I? I know nothing about it other than the Goodreads reviews but it sounds very different from what we have read so far.

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Diane wrote: "How about Gillespie and I? I know nothing about it other than the Goodreads reviews but it sounds very different from what we have read so far."

Gillespie and I has been on my TBR list for a long time. Good choice.

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) I'd like to nominate Island Of Wings by Karin Altenberg - it looks like an unusual historical novel. (This is another one about 19th-century Scotland, but I think it is probably very different from 'Gillespie and I', which I'd also like to read!)

Here's the brief blurb from Amazon:

1830. Neil and Lizzie MacKenzie, a newly married young couple, arrive at the remotest part of the British Isles: St Kilda. He is a minister determined to save the souls of the pagan inhabitants; his pregnant wife speaks no Gaelic and, when her husband is away, has only the waves and the cry of gulls for company.

As both find themselves tested to the limit in this harsh new environment, Lizzie soon discovers that marriage is as treacherous a country as the land that surrounds her.

message 5: by Penny (new)

Penny | 681 comments Mod
both the above sound good!

I nominate A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore as I have had it for so long!

message 6: by Val (new)

Val Does anyone have any more nominations before the vote opens?

message 7: by Val (new)

Val The poll has now closed and the October book from the archive will be:
Gillespie and I by Jane Harris Gillespie and I by Jane Harris.