Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > What order to read these books? *LIST*

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments I recently acquired several Stephen King books and was looking for what order in which to read them. I've already read The Long Walk and The Shining, and enjoyed them very much. The books are as follows:

Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Stand
Skeleton Crew
Night Shift
Cujo
Pet Semetary
The Dead Zone
Everything's Eventual
Dolores Claiborne

Just comments on what your favorites are, what order I should read these in, and whether or not I should buy and read other books beforehand.

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Arnold-wirick | 21 comments Here are just my thoughts:

Cujo
The Stand
Carrie
Dolores Claiborne
Everything's Eventual
Pet Semetary
Salem's Lot
The Dead Zone
Skeleton Crew

Now all SK fans will have different ideas I say just pick and read, hope this helps a little bit :)

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Arnold-wirick | 21 comments There are a couple others I would have had on the list but that's a GREAT START!

message 4: by Malina (new)

Malina | 304 comments I don't think you need to read them in any particular order, they're all great.
My personal favorite is The Stand.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg Strandberg (gregstrandberg) After reading the Dark Tower series I'm tempted to read those other books in the order they should go to help prop up that series. Kinda funny, but Salem's Lot is now high on my reading list after Wolves of the Calla.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 290 comments I read King's book in a custom order, more or less one for month, and now I'm reading the Dark Tower series. I agree with Malina, there is not a particular order for reading, except for sequel like Shining and Doctor Sleep. I think I'll read the next books basing on lists above and the order of writing.

message 7: by Aditya (new)

Aditya All of his King stories are set in the same universe. The best thing to do is read them chronologically. Out of the ones you mention there are two books set in Castle Rock which you must read in order as the later books give out major spoilers about the other books. The Order for Castle Rock books are
The Dead Zone (my favorite King Book)
Cujo
The Dark Half
Needful Things

Read the above four in order, the other books you mention can be read in any order you like.
The only other books which are remotely connected are Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne but both are among the worst he had written so it is better if you skip both.

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Timm Aditya wrote: "All of his King stories are set in the same universe. The best thing to do is read them chronologically. Out of the ones you mention there are two books set in Castle Rock which you must read in or..."

Hmm, I really enjoyed Dolores Claiborne and I would definitely recommend it. Along with what everyone else said, it doesn't really matter how you read King's books but I'd recommend reading a certain few novels before heading into the dark tower series.

message 9: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Dave-

What would you consider those certain novels to read?

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave Timm Most notably, I would say 'Salem's Lot, The Stand, and Hearts in Atlantis (all great books) have the most up-front connections to the dark tower universe. However, the series connects many of King's works through little references made throughout the series. 'Salem's Lot and The Stand aren't only great novels, they happen to be some of the best stories ever written.

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3945 comments I would add Insomnia to Dave's list of books to read before the DT series.

message 12: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments As has been mentioned, The Stand and 'Salem's Lot both have ties to the Dark Tower. Both are also favorites of mine. I would recommend reading both before diving in to The Dark Tower. The rest of the books in your list can be read in any order. I really liked Pet Sematary too. Might re-read that one at some point myself.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2088 comments the stand is my favorite but I would say read them in any order you choose.

message 14: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Just finished Carrie. Really liked it, although I enjoyed the shining & the long walk more. Thinking about reading some more of Night Shift, then it's off to Salem's Lot!

message 15: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
Colton wrote: "Just finished Carrie. Really liked it, although I enjoyed the shining & the long walk more. Thinking about reading some more of Night Shift, then it's off to Salem's Lot!"

You might be best served by reversing that. Salem's Lot, and then Night Shift.

Just sayin'.

message 16: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Just bought a hard back edition of "It" today, although it's really thick and heavy. I'm thinking I should have gotten a paperback instead!

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (edgarsden) | 88 comments I don't think you have to pick a certain order, just go with your gut :P although reading King's books in chronological order has an adventage of observing how his style developed over the years.

message 18: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Thanks for all the help. Salem's Lot was very good, possibly my favorite so far. My friend just lent me Thinner and spoke highly of it so I'll read it next, and then probably the dead zone. Thanks!

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 50 comments Hi,
I'm about to re-start my quest to read everything by Mr. King in chronlogical order. The last book I read was "The Tommyknockers". So, I'm wondering what should be read next?
It seems many bibliographies suggest:
"The Dark Half" (1989)
"Four Past Midnight" (1990)
"Needful Things" (1991)
"Nightmares and Dreamscapes" (1993)

Is this pretty much a correct chronology or have I missed any novels and collections?

message 20: by Susan (last edited Sep 25, 2014 10:27AM) (new)

Susan (edgarsden) | 88 comments Bob, in terms of novels after Tommyknockers :
The Dark Half (1989)
The Stand: The complete & uncut edition (1990)
(Four past midnight (1990) - collection of short stories)
The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands (1991)
Needful things (1991)
Gerald's game (1992)
Dolores Claiborne (1992)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes (1993)