What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > You follow the character's path down insanity. Some pages contain only one word. Title sounds like necronomicon.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by daisy strain (new)

daisy strain | 2 comments Trying to find a book i was only shown once. The name sounds almost like necronomicom. As you’re reading the book you’re following the character’s path down insanity. Some pages only have one word on them. Thank you

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jun 27, 2018 02:12AM) (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
Daisy, I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because you're looking for a specific book.

Around what year did you see this book? This will help narrow down the search.

What's the genre or tone - poetry/fiction/biography, angsty, dark/horror, some humor, for older adults (not young adults--teens), etc.? Character's jobs/skills?

I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it with genre etc. using the small "edit" link on desktop website (not the mobile app).

Tips for posting a book request: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 989 comments I haven't read it, but maybe William Gibson's Neuromancer?

If not, did it have anything to do with necromancy?

message 4: by Seelenstaub (new)

Seelenstaub | 17 comments Maybe it's House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski? It doesn't sound like Necronomicon, but at least one of the characters does go insane and it has some really interesting formatting, where some pages have only a couple of sentences or indeed just one word on it.

message 5: by Ingo (last edited Jun 29, 2018 02:11AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 640 comments SBC wrote: "I haven't read it, but maybe William Gibson's Neuromancer?

If not, did it have anything to do with necromancy?"

Neuromancer is one of the books that formed the SF-genre Cyberpunk (the author William Gibson is often wrongly named as being the inventor the word).
The books deals with a near future in which big corporations have more influence and on a wider scale than the political democracy, also Artificial intelligence, enhanced humans, Augmented and Virtual Reality.
Not entirely sure, but I think nothing or very little has to do with insanity (has been a long time since reading it). An certainly not necromancy nor necronomicon.

The Necronomicon is an invention of H P Lovecraft, comparable to the Egyptian / Tibetan - Books of the Dead (wether real or not).

The stories of Lovecraft deal often with a descent into madness, so that certainly points in the direction of the OP.

As quite a lot of authors have written in the realm of Lovecrafts worlds, there is a great body of work which might have the book searched for.

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments Still looking for this?

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (tadpoledrain) | 140 comments Someone else posted a thread asking about a book that used Lovecraft as the main character. I'm wondering if this is the same?

The Wikipedia entry for Lovecraft has a section for "Lovecraft as a fictional character" -- I'm wondering if that might be a good place to look.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P....

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Neuromancer (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Gibson (other topics)
H.P. Lovecraft (other topics)