50 books to read before you die discussion

The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
This topic is about The Color of Magic
Book Discussions - 100 list > The Color of Magic

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 64 comments Mod
The Color of Magic. This will be our selection for July's read from 100-books-our-own-list. Hope to get some comments on it soon!

Kayleigh | 67 comments Wow it has just occurred to me that I read this book 20 years ago, so my memories of it may be a little hazy.

Admittedly the first book in the Discworld series is probably one of my least favourite, it immediately continues into the second book, The Light Fantastic, which is an improvement. But I've always felt that the series really begins to start with the third book Equal Rites.

I felt The Colour of Magic didn't flow well and was confusing at times (admittedly I was quite young when I read it, so that may have been a factor). But I had already read Pratchett's Bromeliad trilogy, The Carpet People and the Johnny Maxwell trilogy, so I already knew that I had found an Author I really liked and not to be too put off by this first one.

I'd just like to also add that I have recently finished the last book in the series and it is definitely a series well worthy of being on our 100 list.

I have to admit I have never read anything by this author! I plan to check it out from the library as soon as I can. I'm curious.

Buck (spectru) | 944 comments Mod
I haven't read much by Terry Pratchett, but he definitely has a following.

The Discworld series is made up of about 41 books, IIRC. I've read only The Color of Magic the first book in the series, and the second book, The Light Fantastic. I've heard that later books in the series are better, but I can't attest to that personally. The first two are easy reads, lighthearted, definitely written with tongue in cheek.

I hope some folks will read this one and join in the discussion.

Mine is on reserve, probably waiting for me at the library

Annie (annie_thomas) | 75 comments Started reading this today.
Wow its a crazy world. Giant elephants on top of a Giant turtle holding up a world which also rotates???!!
Reminded me of an episode in Doctor Who where there is a whale traveling through cosmos with a world perched on its back.

It sounds like something I might like. I did get my copy from the library and it has made it as far as the back seat of my car. Just a few pages to go on "Cloud Atlas" and I'll start it.
By the way, I have Turtles All the Way Down
in my CD player ....

We learn in the prolog that Discworld is a disc carried on the backs of four great elephants which in turn are standing on the back of a great turtle, A'Tuin, swimming through space. There are several theories among the scientifically minded on Discworld.

“There was, for example, the theory that A’Tuin had come from nowhere and would continue at a uniform crawl, or steady gait, into nowhere, for all time. This theory was popular among academics. An alternative, favored by those of a religious persuasion, was that A’Tuin was crawling from the Birthplace to the Time of Mating, as were all the stars in the sky which were, obviously, also carried by giant turtles. When they arrived they would briefly and passionately mate, for the first and only time, and from that fiery union new turtles would be born to carry a new pattern of worlds. This was known as the Big Bang hypothesis.”

Annie (annie_thomas) | 75 comments I have kept this aside for Cloud Atlas. Could do it as the story still hasn't really pulled me in. There were some funny moments (like the big bang, the tourist etc) but so far the author is still setting up his world..

I just started it yesterday. I am having trouble wrapping my mind around the 8 seasons of Discworld; wish I had a diagram. I'm simultaneously reading "The Wizard and the Prophet" which has been on my wish-list for some time now; it's like 3" thick with small print and has been slowing me down some. Well, OK, not quite 3" thick, but it's a lotta book.

Christine | 463 comments Mod
I started reading this yesterday too. I’m only 20% in but already I can see how people are drawn into this series. You can imagine that Twoflower the tourist getting involved with Rincewind the dropout wizard is going to cause chaos. I’m finding it quite amusing.

message 12: by Christine (last edited Jul 12, 2018 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished today and really enjoyed it. I thought it was like Lord of the Rings, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Red Dwarf rolled into one. Although there was a lot of information and names to remember, I thought it was very humorous. I don't know if I'll carry on reading the series as it goes on forever but you never know.

Annie (annie_thomas) | 75 comments Back to this now that I have completed Cloud Atlas.
Just escaped from temple of bel shamharoth. Reading about Time taking over reminded me of the picturesque temple ruins in Cambodia.
I wonder what the spell is that is threatening to jump out of Rincewind...

Annie (annie_thomas) | 75 comments So the story will continue. Wonder whether we will ever know the spell?
Finished this yesterday. I liked the world itself more than the plot in the book. Twoflower and Rincewind in the airplane was bizzarre.
Best bits - The temple of bel shamharoth and the dragon land Wyrmburg.

message 15: by Buck (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annie wrote: "So the story will continue. Wonder whether we will ever know the spell?"

Yes. I thought it was in The Color of Magic but if you finished, it must be in the next book, The Light Fantastic

I'm a little behind ... first had to read Cloud Atlas, then needed to get through another big fat book I had already started, "The Wizard and the Prophet" (amazing, by the way) ... I did not think The Color of Magic would be my cup of tea but it is REALLY fun. What a marvelous imagination the author has! Somewhat like the unexpected stuff that pops up in Alice in Wonderland, although quite a bit more action and violence in this one!
"There was the faintest of sounds, as of a gnat yawning."
Morpork is a pretty bad neighborhood, incidentally. It reminds me of some of those rough places in "Star Wars" movies. At this point, though, it is on fire. I haven't gotten very far in the book but the whimsical writing is drawing me in.

Finished! I found it delightful. The airport scene was ... well, no words. They just popped into an alternate universe and popped back out. Like it was something that just happens once in a while. I am assuming this is the first of a series, as you can't have an ending like that and call it quits.

Nancy wrote: "Finished! I found it delightful. The airport scene was ... well, no words. They just popped into an alternate universe and popped back out. Like it was something that just happens once in a while. ..."

Yes, it's the first of about 40 books. The whole series was nominate for our 100 books list but I only put the first one on the poll. People can then choose if they want to carry on a read the whole series.

Christine wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Finished! I found it delightful. The airport scene was ... well, no words. They just popped into an alternate universe and popped back out. Like it was something that just happens onc..."

Wow. It wasn't a very long book, but 40 is ... a lot. Probably would be great on audio.

Deepti Chandna | 1 comments started the series but only managed 3 so far. they are fantastic. He also wrote dodger, not a disc world , but takes you to the Dickensian London. brilliant author. Happy reading