Start by marking “The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)” as Want to Read:
The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)

The Light Fantastic

(Discworld #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  109,886 ratings  ·  3,199 reviews
In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...
Mass Market Paperback, 241 pages
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperTorch (first published June 2nd 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Light Fantastic, please sign up.
Mary The Color of Magic leaves off at a cliff hanger.…moreThe Color of Magic leaves off at a cliff hanger. (less)
Margot Hayes I have read Terry's books in the haphazard fashion in which I found them at second hand shops, libraries and stores. It had no effect on my enjoyment.…moreI have read Terry's books in the haphazard fashion in which I found them at second hand shops, libraries and stores. It had no effect on my enjoyment. I now own them all. Read whatever you can get!
(less)

·  109,886 ratings  ·  3,199 reviews

Start your review of The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
Lyn
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series makes me smile. Because of his writing I invented the "Smile-O-meter" which measures smiles per book. Pratchett always scores high.

Three years after Terry Pratchett published The Color of Magic, the first Discworld book, he published the second, The Light Fantastic, having decided convincingly that this was a worthwhile project.

Though the action in The Light Fantastic takes over immediately following the events in the first book, Rincewind has
Adrian
Review to follow tomorrow, but tell me why have I waited so long to re-read the Discworld books.

And the honest answer is, well for a while I didn't have a copy of any Discworld novel, due to the fact that (as I think I've mentioned before (oh no am I getting so old I'm repeating myself ?) ) I lost so so so many books in one of my house moves, Discworld novels amongst them. And then somehow I forgot just how good the books were.

So The Light Fantastic picks up where The Colour of Magic left off
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-shelf
Re-read with buddies!

I'm still very much enjoying these early Pratchett books, especially in mind that I'll be seeing a *lot* more of these folks in the near future. And even if I'll mainly be focused on folks I haven't seen yet, anyway, I'm still enjoying what may as well be an overview primer of the whole Discworld universe.

That being said, I think Rincewind is given a bad rap in the series. I love the hell out of him. He's the ultimate bumbling idiot under the geas of a penultimate Eighth
Helen 2.0
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I adore Terry Pratchett. I don't know how to elaborate on that so I'll just share some of my favorite moments in Light Fantastic.

Snarky social commentary:
She is there, down below the mines and sea ooze and fake fossil bones put there by a Creator with nothing better to do than upset archaeologists and give them silly ideas.
Not for the first time she reflected that there were many drawbacks to being a swordswoman, not the least of which was that men didn't take you seriously until you'd
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Put two of my favourite Discworld characters,the Luggage and Death, into the same book and I am obviously going to be happy! This was a reread of this book which I read the first time many years ago. Pratchett obviously improved his writing as the series progressed and his books became more sophisticated, but these early works are still a delight. I love the humour, the characters, the story and the sheer imagination of the man.
The world is poorer without him but thank goodness he left us so
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
"Inside every sane person, there's a madman struggling to get out. That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person."

The second installment in the Discworld series is a bigger, funnier delight. One heck of a Laugh Out Loud read.

Something I consider very special in Sir Terry Pratchett's works is that many authors can pull off a joke every once in a while in their stories but Mr Pratchett managed to keep the whole thing comical, while at the time satirical. Not
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
"You still love Terry Pratchett, after all these years?"
"Always."

- Gandalf, Return of the Jedi.

Jokes aside, my teen years were marked by edginess, heavy metal, nihilism and Terry Pratchett. I think the latter was never a phase; he is an author that will always be in my heart and in my head, providing bellyache-inducing laughs whenever Death has an identity crisis (which is always) or when Nanny Ogg is trying to explain to her seemingly infinite children who their real fathers are(and lying
Trish
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars (yes, I actually liked the first one a bit better)

"The important thing about having lots of things to remember is that you've got to go somewhere afterward where you can remember them, you see? You've got to stop. You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home."

Thus, this second book in the Discworld series is about the continued adventure of Twoflower, the very first tourist, and Rincewind, the failed wiz(z)ard with only one spell in his head.
We get to know more about
Jamie
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I ...more
Gary
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This book was every bit as fun as the last- maybe more so. Since this is number two in series order, I am getting a feel for where the author was at the point in time it was written. The character development seems more vivid. Rincewind, the Luggage, the Druid sacrifice girl, and the over the hill barbarian fighter are characters that will live with me long after this series is done.
This story has more of a quest feel to it than the last one did. It definitely builds to a strong climax. In order
Rob
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: I enjoyed this one a lot more than The Color of Magic, and it made me glad I read that book first rather than starting with one of the later in the series.

Full Review
A moment of silence for the passing of a great man.

It's a shame it took the passing of Terry Pratchett for me to give this series a second chance. I've had numerous people tell me how much I'd like it. It was recommended again to me when I said I was in a funk and wanted something light and fun just a few days
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story picks up where the first one left off, with Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage in dire peril. They're mysteriously saved and plonked down in the middle of a magical forest. Meanwhile an ominous red star has appeared in the sky of the disk and it appears to be growing each night. The Wizards of Unseen University want to read the Octavo to save the Disc, but Rincewind still has one of the Eight spells stuck in his head, so the hunt for the wizard is on.

I have no idea how many times
RJ
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Laurel and Hardy. Riggs and Murtaugh. Oscar and Felix. And continuing the grand tradition, the Discworld's own Rincewind and Twoflower. This time the story centers around the Octavo and the 8th spell lodged in Rincewind's head as Discworld plunges towards a fiery red star that may spell doom for the entire planet. Lovecraftian influences are prominent in the early and late goings, although most of the book is a lighthearted slapstick parody of the fantasy genre. The story often appears ...more
BrokenTune
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
So, that's how Rincewind ended up with the Luggage! Right,.....

I have been wondering about this for years. Now I know.

There is no doubt that Terry Pratchett was a master at snarky humor and fantastic world building. No doubt at all. Yet, it takes me forever to get through some his books because his adventures often end up going off in tangents...and I'm not drawn into the Discworld universe enough to necessarily want to follow those side-stories that may or may not become relevant in a later
Qt
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one even more than the first book of the series! I thought it was hilarious, and I found the storyline easier to follow.
There were a couple times where I was a bit confused, but I really enjoyed it and thought it was funny and exciting, with a thrilling ending.
Cathy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
This is not for me anymore. 15 years ago I read the first handful of Discworld books and liked them well enough. But even then this type of comedic writing wasn't really my cup of tea. Now it definitely isn't. Too little plot, too absurd. I laughed a few times, but the story did not engage me much.

My favourite scene was Death learning how how to play Bridge. The druids were fun. And the bits with the trolls. Cohen was a great character.

The idea behind the Discworld is a great one and I heard
Lata
1.5 to a very grudging 2 stars. Mostly slogged and skimmed my way through this second Discworld installment. Did not smile, chuckle or laugh at anything, found everyone tedious, with the exception of Twoflower and Luggage; I am inordinately fond of Luggage, who remains the standout for me(view spoiler). I was not fond of any other characters or anything else in the story. Which was far, far, ...more
Malum
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, discworld
What can you say about a Discworld novel? They are British, they are silly, and they are hilarious. This isn't Tolkien or Martin, but when you are laughing this hard and this often, you won't really care.
Mattia Ravasi
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Video review
Featured in my Top 20 Books I Read in 2017

So good it's unfair - there's a joke every three words and it's still thrilling, and occasionally heartbreaking. Surprinsingly better than The Colour of Magic.
TL
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

I enjoyed this more than the first book (eve though I do like that one), the pacing was better and the characters more "there" and comfortable in their own skins.

It seems/feels to me Mr. Pratchett hit his stride and had more fun writing this one (I could be wrong)... We get to see more of Rincewind's personality in here and he comes into his own some more.

Twoflower, gotta love him :)

Cohen and Bethan were fun to know, wish they would have had a bigger part though. Cohen was pretty spry for his
Celise
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The important thing about having lots of things to remember is that you've got to go somewhere afterwards where you can remember them, you see? You've got to stop. You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home."

The Discworld is a Disc sitting on the backs of four elephants, standing on the shell of a giant turtle that is slowly swimming it's way through Space...

And as befits a world so ridiculous, it is filled with an array of equally ridiculous and loveable characters,
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If you read The Color of Magic, you most probably got this book as the the one preceding it (the aforementioned The Color of Magic) ended with Rincewind falling off the edge of the Discworld.... talk about a "cliff-hanger ending". In this one we'll go from there to what could be the end of the Discworld itself and possibly, well everything else. It all depends on Rincewind....scary thought that.

"Synopsisizers" (I believe I just made that word up, so bear with me, please) anyway, "the people who
Manny
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Several of the other reviewers have singled out for special praise the Xena parody with the more appropriately dressed warrior princess. She was indeed very fine, but my personal favorite was the bit where the Stonehenge-type astronomical ritual unexpectedly develops a glitch. "Looks like software incompatibility!" says the know-it-all Neolithic geek. "The Spiral Chant doesn't work on concentric circles!"

And, while we're on rocks, I also loved the trolls, harking back to their glory days in
Barry Pierce
This is reminded me of just how great Terry Pratchett is. His writing and humour is just fabulous and his characters are brilliant. However the plot of this novel is quite reminiscent of a wet tea towel. It doesn't hold a flame to The Colour of Magic and I'm quite glad that Pratchett gave up on the idea of doing sequels after this novel. It's overall very meh with a sprinkling of ugh.
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, fantastical
Unseen University but not as you know it.

With my awful and dreaded exercise regime continuing so too does my revisit to the early works of the Discworld thanks to the readings of Nigel Planer.

Rincewind, last seen falling off of the disc has been saved from certain death once more thanks to spoilers that won't be mentioned and now must save the disc from a fiery death and evil wizards.

The problem with going back to these early novels is that things arenlt as you remember them. It's like an
Becky
I didn't really care for The Colour of Magic. So I wasn't sure what to expect from The Light Fantastic, but I figured either it would be more of the same, or slightly better. And thankfully, it was slightly better. There was a plot! (Of sorts.) And a single storyline! (Mostly.) And humor! (I lol'ed once.)

All are things that Colour didn't have - at least not in my opinion. But I can't say that I loved Light. I'm thinking that it might just be me, though. I like humor, and I even like bizarre
Anuradha
I didn't think it could get better than the first one, but oh, it got monumentally better so. Pro tip: you're going to have to read the second one right after the first, because it really won't make sense otherwise. Full RTC.
Jeff Straub
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Prarchett is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Not only are the stories rich, funny, and enjoyable, but the format of the storytelling itself adds a whole separate dimension to the books. Pratchett clearly has an incredible understanding of, and love affair with, the English language, and that makes me not want to put these books down.

From spending two pages arguing with the reader about why the female barbarian does not wear impractical sexy barbarian clothes, to subtle word
Cameron Smith
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Discworld books as a young fella, and returning to them now has been an absolute delight.

The Light Fantastic begins with Rincewind the failed wizard, Twoflower the tourist, and Luggage the luggage falling off the disc. As Rincewind has a very powerful spell in his head, the universe reconfigures itself so that he doesn't die.

Now, if you have no idea what the Disc is, it's a world where many of Terry Pratchett's adventure's take part on. It happens to be disc-shaped, resting on the
Vavita
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I liked the first book very much, there was no real plot to it. I enjoyed the first book but I didn't know where it was going.
Now, we finally know why what happened with one spell and Rincewind happened. Also we see real character development for Rincewind. Very cool!
The new character, Cohen, is amazing and funny. I enjoyed reading his bits.
I am trapped by Prattchet. Getting the third book now!

• The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Anansi Boys
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • Stardust
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
  • Степовий бог
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Norse Mythology

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels,

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
“Inside every sane person there's a madman struggling to get out," said the shopkeeper. "That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person.” 621 likes
“Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.” 410 likes