2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

Little Fires Everywhere
This topic is about Little Fires Everywhere
ARCHIVE 2018 > Little Fires Everywhere: Chapter 1-5

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments This is the discussion thread for Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng Chapter 1-5

Catka | 269 comments Reading the description of Pearl's first visit to Richardsons house reminded me why I admire Celeste's writing style so much. She has such an eye for a small detail, which exactly describes and gives the essence of the feeling she wants to convey. She is an excellent writer.

Jennifer | 95 comments I’m intrigued. I want to find out more about this family that has sucked Pearl in; we already know is going to end badly but part of me is still hoping that it will all be ok. I like how Shaker Heights is set up as almost a character itself, it’s description, it’s influence on the characters and their lives, it certainly adds to the story.

Lynn | 297 comments It's a little slow-moving thus far, to be honest. I'm not in love with it just yet. Maybe because nothing much has happened at this juncture. I know it's literary fiction, so I am not expecting big explosions or anything of the sort, but it's a little dull at this point in my opinion. That said, I am still intrigued enough though to keep turning the pages.

Lexie annoys me greatly. How could she blatantly ask Pearl if she thinks she was a child born of rape? Huh? Wow. Unreal. Moody tries to tell us (and Pearl) that she's deeper than she seems but I don't see it at all. I feel she's about puddle-deep so far in characterization.

I thought it was interesting "sibling time" is "Springer-time" at the Richardson house. In my house growing up, it was soap operas for us kids. So basically, contrived drama on TV is a staple in most homes it seems haha

I definitely agree Shaker Heights is a character of its own.

Mia's reaction to Lexie's comments about Rumpelstiltskin were very, very telling. I *think* I see where this is leading.

I want to know more about Izzy. I hope we get to 'see' more of her. She's the one I am most intrigued by considering what she does in the beginning chapter.

Lynn | 297 comments So I'm the newly minted discussion leader hehe That means I guess that I should try to get some discussions going. Here is some food for thought thus far:

1. Do you have a favorite or least favorite character so far?

2. In chapter one they mention Izzy started 'little fires everywhere' in the Richardson house. That is also the book's title. Is there a deeper meaning behind Ng's choice of that title, do you think?

Samantha | 11 comments I’ve only got to chapter 3 but so far I don’t have a favorite character. My least favorite character is trip. I think it’s because he’s accusing Izzy but did she really do it or is it an accusation? It could also be that I’m not into the book just yet so still trying to figure everything out. As for the kids though it’s kinda hard for me to put an age on them. For example when I read about moody meeting pearl I’m thinking of a kid in 4,5,or 6th grade. Also I’m Not exactly clear yet on if the rental was burned down or if the Robinsons actual house is burned down. Once I get into the book more I’ll be able to pay attention to details closer though. Another thing I didn’t really like so far about the book was the neighborhood seems kinda snobby to me if your house is a certain way it needs to be this color? I’m not so much of a fan of that thought especially if I owned the home.

Catka | 269 comments Samantha wrote: "Also I’m Not exactly clear yet on if the rental was burned down or if the Robinsons actual house is burned down. Once I get into the book more I’ll be able to pay attention to details closer though. Another thing I didn’t really like so far about the book was the neighborhood seems kinda snobby ..."
Robinson's home burned down
The neigborhood plays an important role in the character and story development, I think it was authors purpose to describe it in a way reader would notice. As Jennifer wrote above, it is almost a character on its own.

Samantha | 11 comments I’m not sure on how to respond back to your response like how you did. How it shows what I wrote and than what your thinking. How did you do that I’m new to his app so haven’t been here long :) but I’m not sure it just made me think back to when I lived in this one town as a child. I don’t live their anymore but my aunt and uncle does and how they describe what they go through as if everything has to be structured a certain way. The town has to be perfect there can’t be one flaw. That’s how the book made me feel towards the neighborhood. Sounds like a nice neighborhood but I personally wouldn’t want to live there.

Catka | 269 comments Samantha wrote: "I’m not sure on how to respond back to your response like how you did. ...
Every message has options in the bottom right corner, one of them is reply, just click on it it will insert the italic text to show whom you reply to. You can also edit the italic text.

Samantha wrote: "Sounds like a nice neighborhood but I personally wouldn’t want to live there ...
Yes, me neither, it would be a nightmare if someone told me when i had to cut my grass and how many cm it is allowed to grow. On the other hand, I imagine it gives its inhabitants a feeling of security, order and safety.

Samantha | 11 comments Hmmm must just be my phone it doesn’t show a reply button or anything That kinda sucks but thanks for the info I’ll have to look at my computer tonight to see if it gives me the option and than I can add if I end up having a favorite character by the fifth chapter

message 11: by Sheila (new) - added it

Sheila FYI if using the app from a phone or tablet you cannot reply directly to a comment. In order to reply to a comment you probably have to go directly to the website. Sometimes I can reply when clicking the link on an email notification. At least that is the way it work on my phone and tablet

Samantha | 11 comments Sheila wrote: "FYI if using the app from a phone or tablet you cannot reply directly to a comment. In order to reply to a comment you probably have to go directly to the website. Sometimes I can reply when clicki..."
I got on my computer and it will let me reply just not from my phone.

Samantha | 11 comments I just finished chapter 5. It seems as if Lexie is trying to turn pearl into something she’s not as if she’s her Barbie doll. I can’t tell if it’s gonna end in a bad direction or not. I kinda feel bad for moody because it seems as if he really likes her and pearl is just crushing on trip. I still don’t have a least favorite character.

message 14: by Lynn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lynn | 297 comments Samantha wrote: "I just finished chapter 5. It seems as if Lexie is trying to turn pearl into something she’s not as if she’s her Barbie doll. I can’t tell if it’s gonna end in a bad direction or not. I kinda feel ..."
It does seem as if Lexie is turning Pearl into her pet project, doesn't it? I can't decide if it's an altruistic gesture or not.

I do feel bad for Moody too. I mean, we've all been there - liked someone who liked someone else! It's gotta be harder for him too because Trip is his brother and Trip is described as being very attractive & popular.

Consuelo | 190 comments 1. My favourite character at this moment is Izzy, probably because she's mysterious and independent. The other characters have disappointed me in these chapters.
2. I'm not so sure that it was Izzy who burned the house, I think this could be one of the surprises in the book. However, this fire probably has a close relationship with Mia and Pearl, so maybe could express all the changes that this family will let after their departure.

message 16: by Zoë (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoë Neo | 214 comments Finished chapter 5 and so far I am really enjoying the writing and the story is definitely pulling me in.

I think my least favourite character so far is definitely Lexie, at first I liked her but the way she was questioning Pearl about her dad was very insensitive.

I don't think I have a favourite character at the moment as all seem to have positives and negatives about them.

I agree with some of the above comments that I'm not sure that Izzy did set the fires, and going off Moody's thoughts it seems they are linked in some way to Mia and Pearl leaving.

message 17: by Lynn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lynn | 297 comments I think the fires, if Izzy did indeed set them, are linked to Mia and Pearl's leaving too.

Kendall Gardt (kendallgardt) | 9 comments Chapter 3 and she had me at fully clothed on the beach wearing Doc martins 😬 I feel like I’m really going to relate to Izzy but we shall see!

message 19: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 3391 comments This FINALLY became available at the library so I just finished chapter 5. I like the writing style. I'm getting through it pretty quickly so far.

I think it's too early for me to have a favorite or least favorite character. I actually relate pretty strongly to all of the girls and Mia in one way or another. I'm undecided on Lexie yet. I don't think she realizes her intrusiveness into Pearl's personal life could be considered rude. Some people just grow up in a family or in a group of people who share absolutely everything and questions like that are just part of life. I could be wrong. She might just be an uncaring, self-absorbed teenager. Maybe it's both.

I don't think Izzy started the fire. I definitely think Mia and Pearl have something to do with it. Maybe it has to do with Pearl's dad? Or perhaps Moody did it. He was acting sketchy when the siblings were discussing where everyone was.

The neighborhood reminds me of the street in The Big Orange Splot before Mr. Plumbean paints his house. If you like children's picture books, or have children, read this.

I do think "little fires everywhere" has other meanings. Any type of drama or passion that may occur could be considered a fire. I'm fairly certain no one will get through this book unscathed in some way.

message 20: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6936 comments I'm really enjoying the writing so far!

message 21: by Joan (last edited Jul 28, 2018 09:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments It's been a busy month and I'm finally getting into the story now.

1. Do you have a favorite or least favorite character so far? - I think the characters are defined well so far. I agree that the town seems to be its own character. I'm interested in Mia and Izzy probably.

2. In chapter one they mention Izzy started 'little fires everywhere' in the Richardson house. That is also the book's title. Is there a deeper meaning behind Ng's choice of that title, do you think? Izzy's character makes you think that could be possible. I'm wondering if fighting starts with the brothers over Pearl and that instigates Izzy somehow. Maybe Pearl brings too much upheaval to the family for Izzy.