What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. trying to find a book trilogy i read a long time ago

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pansy (last edited Oct 20, 2014 03:17PM) (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Trilogy about kidnapped orphan taken onto ship. I read this about 8 years ago. This ship was not a good ship but not sure if it was a pirate ship. I don't remember what part of the world this was, maybe Britain?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39281 comments Mod
Pansy, what year was this? Did it seem old or new when you read it?

message 4: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Pansy, what year was this? Did it seem old or new when you read it?"

I think it was old. I was like 10 when I read that book now I'm 18.

message 5: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Holly wrote: "Iain Lawrence's High Seas Adventures trilogy?"

No, that's not it. But thanks.

message 6: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 62 comments Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques?

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman for Flowerfairy's click

message 8: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 245 comments Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson comes to mind, although it doesn't match everything you said.

message 9: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 62 comments Thank you Ann :)

message 10: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Castaways of the Flying Dutchman for Flowerfairy's click"

no that's not it either

message 11: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments this might be a lost cause. i read it so long ago, i dont really remember the story...

message 12: by Holly (last edited Aug 03, 2014 11:21PM) (new)

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 256 comments There's no such thing as a lost cause! Some people have found books here after years of searching.

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

The longest time period I know of personally is 5 years. But I'm sure that there have been longer. My own longest search/solve was 3 years. But I still have a few that are getting kind of grey and wrinkled from age. . .

message 15: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Kathryn wrote: "There's no such thing as a lost cause! Some people have found books here after years of searching."

thanks for the encouragement!

message 16: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Holly wrote: "Maybe you can search through these lists?
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1......"

i dont recognize any of the covers. but thanks anyways!

message 17: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The longest time period I know of personally is 5 years. But I'm sure that there have been longer. My own longest search/solve was 3 years. But I still have a few that are getting kind of grey and ..."

it just might take that long...

message 18: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Just remember to come back and bump up the thread periodically--30 to 90 days is the usual time frame for bumping.

message 19: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Just remember to come back and bump up the thread periodically--30 to 90 days is the usual time frame for bumping."

bump up?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Type "bump" (or whatever else you want, like "still looking") and your thread moves to the top of the queue. New people will then read it.

message 21: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Type "bump" (or whatever else you want, like "still looking") and your thread moves to the top of the queue. New people will then read it."

type it where exactly?

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Type it as a new post/new comment.

message 23: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Each time you've asked a question--and someone has responded--has acted as a bump Pansy. Just do it every so often (the usual time span is 30 to 90 days).

message 24: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Each time you've asked a question--and someone has responded--has acted as a bump Pansy. Just do it every so often (the usual time span is 30 to 90 days)."

oh I see. Thanks!

message 25: by caracal-eyes (last edited Aug 06, 2014 10:27PM) (new)

caracal-eyes | 134 comments Best I could come up with: Voyage of Plunder - second book in the Chronicles of Courage series. Main character is orphaned and made to join a pirate crew. Cover doesn't sound exactly as you described, but it does have a sorta glum-looking boy on it, and there are three books, published 2004-2006.

message 26: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments caracal-eyes wrote: "Best I could come up with: Voyage of Plunder - second book in the Chronicles of Courage series. Main character is orphaned and made to join a pirate crew. Cover doesn't sound exactly..."

nope dont think that's it. but thanks for trying!

message 27: by Lee Anne (new)

Lee Anne (ladyofrohan2995) | 182 comments How long ago did you read it?

message 28: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Pansy, I made a list for you. Anything on here?

message 29: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Were there any fantasy elements in the books? Like dragons, mermaids, witches, etc?

There are sky pirates in the Edge Chronicles series. It's longer than a trilogy, however.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/5538...

The covers fit your description.

message 30: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Tab wrote: "Were there any fantasy elements in the books? Like dragons, mermaids, witches, etc?

There are sky pirates in the Edge Chronicles series. It's longer than a trilogy, however.
https://www.goodreads..."

no that's not it either but thanks for trying. it's much appreciated

message 31: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Holly wrote: "Pansy, I made a list for you. Anything on here?"

sadly know i'll know it when i see the cover

message 32: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Lee Anne wrote: "How long ago did you read it?"

well i'm 18 now and i read it in elementary school. so like 8 years ago? i only read the first book too

message 33: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments still looking.

message 34: by Lena (new)

Lena Zhu | 62 comments Well, I know a book that came out a long time ago called "A Series of Unfortunate Events". It did have a frame around it. But since I never really read it, I am not sure if it might be it.

message 35: by drowningmermaid (new)

drowningmermaid | 129 comments Was this a fantasy book at all?

Your description of the cover art reminds me of one of the Dragonlance: the new adventures books.

message 36: by Michele (last edited Aug 30, 2014 11:01AM) (new)

Michele | 2420 comments Peter and the Starcatchers, maybe? First published in 2004.

message 37: by Serena (new)

Serena | 103 comments Shipwreck (Island, #1) by Gordon Korman ?

message 38: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Lena wrote: "Well, I know a book that came out a long time ago called "A Series of Unfortunate Events". It did have a frame around it. But since I never really read it, I am not sure if it might be it."

no i read that already. thanks tho

message 39: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Serena wrote: "Shipwreck (Island, #1) by Gordon Korman?"

no that's not it thanks though

message 40: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments drowningmermaid wrote: "Was this a fantasy book at all?

Your description of the cover art reminds me of one of the Dragonlance: the new adventures books."

i dont think so. it more realistic maybe not entirely

message 41: by Sidsel (new)

Sidsel Varmark | 32 comments Don't be too focused on the cover. Different editions sometimes have different covers.
Where in the world are we? America, England, Africa?
Is it a bad ship to be on or the best thing that happened to him? Did it have a happy ending?

message 42: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 141 comments I was going to say the same thing as Sidsel. Remember that if a book has been republished, it might have a different cover these days, so you can't just scroll through the list and look at the main (usually current) cover of the book. Rather, you'd have to look at each book individually and click on "other editions" (in the middle, where there are pictures of other versions of the book, just above the green buttons) to see other covers of that book. And even that will only be covers that have been uploaded by databases or GR librarians.

And like she was asking, any other details could help narrow it down! You might also try changing your description to say something like, "Trilogy about kidnapped orphan taken onto ship, 8+ years old" or something like that. Many people will just skip over generic thread titles, where a title like that might catch someone's attention.

message 43: by drowningmermaid (new)

drowningmermaid | 129 comments How's about "The Dark Frigate" by Charles Hawes

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 44: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I was going to say the same thing as Sidsel. Remember that if a book has been republished, it might have a different cover these days, so you can't just scroll through the list and look at the main..."

I never thought of that! Thank you. I will take your advice.

message 45: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments Well I have looked at other cover editions of books that might be what i'm looking for. but they all look similar. Also the book i read is from a TRILOGY so the books that are not part of a series are definitely not it.

message 46: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping - any luck, Pansy?

message 47: by Pansy (new)

Pansy (animeshoujo) | 22 comments I stopped looking for this trilogy since the last comment haha. Thanks for asking though. Don't worry about it