Start by marking “Shipwreck (Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shipwreck (Island, #1)

Shipwreck

(Island #1)

Six kids. One fate.
They didn't want to be on the boat in the first place. They were sent there as a character-building experience. But now that the adults are gone, the quest for survival has begun. This first book in a suspenseful survival trilogy delivers the gripping drama of people battling the elements to younger readers.
Published June 1st 2001 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Shipwreck, please sign up.
Kristin Nelson No, it's just an adventure story that appeals to middle graders; the first book in a trilogy.
Carly yes because this was a real event OH…moreyes because this was a real event OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUYFTRDSERDTFYGUHIJOHUGYFTDRESWAQWSEDRTFYGUHIYGTFRD%ES$W$ED%RF^TGY1234567890-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh THIS IS THE KILLER YOU TELL ANYONE I WILL FIND YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(less)

Start your review of Shipwreck (Island, #1)
Carrie Rolph
A bunch of unlikable, incredibly stupid children end up on a boat together and continue to do stupid things until they cause a shipwreck in the middle of the Pacific. I really don't like books where the suspense comes from the characters being dumb.
Nickolas M. 8b
It was a good book. I read this one because it was a survival book. I'm waiting on the rest of the Stranded series.
Christian Avila
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What would do if you were drowning on a boat in the Pacific Ocean? Could u swim for days? How would you feel? Would you give up or try to survive? The genre of the book is realistic fiction.I think it was a pretty good book.

Shipwreck took place in the Pacific Ocean. It was about 6 kids that were behaving bad at home and were send to a camp where they work and think about all the bad things they have done and 2 captains that were trapped on a boat in a big storm in the Pacific Ocean. The conflict
Elise (TheBookishActress)

This series also manages to get in some decent character work. These characters won't win any awards, but they carry and drive the story. These six also develop a decent amount, to the point where they become much more likable by the end of the series.

Caitlyn Scott
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was short but really good. It was full of action and intensity because their boat catches on fire and the main captain died and the co-captain left them and took the safety raft.
Wolf (Alpha)
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel bad since they didn't voluntarily decide to be on the boat. I hate how they crash and how they are all split up at first. I like how they all found each other and how they are deciding what to do in order to stay alive. I like how they all stick together. I hate how they break up and one goes the one way, and the others go the other way. I like how they end up getting back together though. This was definitely an enjoyable read. I like how they didn't give up and how they discovered the ...more
Gracie Skultety
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was younger but wanted to read it again because it is so good. The theme in the book is to look at the bright side of things. In this book a group of friends are stuck in the middle of the Pacific island with people they don't like. But they all looked at the bright side of it and said they all had each other. Then all the friends were trapped on a Island together after a storm and their only way of survival was each other. All of the friends stayed positive and kept ...more
Ronda Bowman
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-read-aloud
This series was a favorite read-aloud for my kids. In fact, pretty much everything we have read by Gordon Korman has been a winner!
Evelyn
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Read this one aloud to students because I remembered enjoying it when I was a kid. It kept the kids interested and I liked being able to introduce some boat lingo to them.
A few liked it enough to check out other Korman books, so I think that is a win - bumped it from 3 stars to 4 because of their interest.
Matthew A
Shipwreck is a book about kids who are sent on a ship by their parents because they have broken the rules many times, they don't really seem the best of friends. But when a giant tropical storm hits them, they need to survive with everyone.

I didnt really like this book, in the beginning, at the end it god really interesting. It ends at a cliff hanger which makes me want to read the next book. I think people who like natural disaster books would find this book interesting.
Kara
Nov 04, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Kara by: My teacher Mrs. Harshaw
This book is very interesting. If you like islands and what to do about suviving on it with just you and your friends, then i recommend this to those. In shipwrecked there are alot of conflicts. I like The smart kid Arnney the most because he watches the discovery channel alot and knows what to do. I didnt like the dark skinnedgirl. She had a bad atitude and snotty. If this book was made into a movie i would love to act out Andrew. You arnt reallt able to to predict what happens in the end. I ...more
Victoria
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have my 4th grade teacher to thank for reading this book aloud to us in class...the adventure immediately swept me up.

Luke Haggerty is on a boat trip he never wanted to be on...a correctional journey for problem kids that need work to whip them into shape. But Luke is innocent, falsely accused of stashing a gun in his locker. His fellow crew members are no better off...Will and Lissa, whose sibling rivalry is ferociously violent, Ian, who watched too much TV, Charla, who was too into sports
ALEX!!!! Hulbert
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is six kids sent onto a boat, which crashes. There names are:Luke, J.J. Will, Lyssa, Charla, and Ian. They all didn't want to be on the boat in the first place. They were sent there as a character-building experience, because they were bad kids and didn't get along with anyone. The ship they are on drives into a storm and the boat wrecks. The killed all of the adults. The kids end up on a deserted island. So now the survival tactics begin. The only problem is none of the kids like ...more
Jessica
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
a heart pounding adventure to start a trilogy. kept me turning the pages all the way through and immediately reaching for book 2. some of these characters are so annoying I want to hit them but then because of the ship wreck that happens I feel bad about those feelings.this reminds me a little bit of the survivors series by Jeff Probst.
Timothy D
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book was great!!! This book is about six kids who are stranded on an island. All of the adults have died and they need to learn how to survive on their own, but they had to learn how to get along with each other first.
Amanda
Oct 28, 2014 added it
Classic story of shipwrecked kids, but very well written! I caught myself gripping my steering wheel with white knuckles at one point (I listened to the audio book)
Kevin Topolovec
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite book series when I was twelve. Do with that what you will.
Josh
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
a bold theme of hope and perserverince
Darlene
I read this book aloud to my younger daughter, and we really enjoyed it! Personally, I love survival stories so this was right up my alley.

Six teens are thrown together for a one-month adventure at sea off the coast of Guam. To me, that sounds like a treat but it's not. The kids are taking part in a program called Charting a New Course designed as a punishment of sorts for wayward teens, where they learn discipline and teamwork and have no access to computers, the internet, iPhones, or any other
Joey Hahn
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shipwreck by Gordon Korman was a very interesting book. The book is full of suspenseful and interesting moments. The book is about this group of teens who were put on a boat for month and set out to sea to learn skills such as cooperation, teamwork, and friendship and corporation. The boat consisted of eight and set sail from Guam.
The reason why I why I gave this book four stars is because it was fascinating, suspenseful and interesting. For example the right when the book started their was a
Valerie McEnroe
Another great Korman trilogy for reluctant boys. A small group of problem kids are sent to a wilderness program aboard a large sailboat. Teamwork, obedience and a little hardship is supposed to cure them of their bad behavior. Luke has a firearm conviction on his record. Siblings Will and Lyssa can't stand each other. J.J. is a spoiled rich kid. Charla is emotionally spent from competitive sports. Ian is a walking encyclopedia who rarely talks.

After an intense storm, the kid crew is left without
Jeremiah
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the book was very good it. i could not put the book down because it was so engaging. i am looking forward to finishing this series. mostly because of the characters and the plot of the book.

the characters where very unique. each character had their own personality, strengths and weaknesses; the author did a very good job showing these. for example, two twins will and lyssa are shown as complete opposites will being not as intelegent friendly but also mean to his friends while lyssa is shown as a
Danielle
Title: Shipwreck
Author: Gordon Korman
Series: Island, 1
Format: paperback
Length: 127 pages
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: Six kids. One fate.

Favourite character: Charla
Least favourite character: JJ

Zaina Khan
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shipwreck by Gordan Korman was a very good start to a series. The beginning of this book was a bit hard and boring to get though, but still did have some exciting parts. If you like books about sailing and ships/boats then you might like this book the whole way through. But this book definitely wasn't all bad. At the end it got very interesting. This book is about six children, Luke, Will, Lyssa, Charla, J.J., and Ian. These six kids all from very different backgrounds and personalities end up ...more
William Chan
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pam Stephens
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3/5 I am not the intended audience for this middle grade story, so take my rating with a grain of salt.
The "average" middle grade reader is a misnomer. This age group's reader varies from those who have barely moved beyond picture books to those who reads Steven King. For every child reading the entire Harry Potter series in mere days, another struggles to get beyond the first chapter of a stand-alone.

Mr. Korman did a fantastic job of appealing to the reticent reader, regardless of gender. His
Aarons
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s really a great book but the beginning is a little off but it’s also cool. The strange part is is that you'd think it would be like really interesting. My favorite part is the ending because I did not see it coming.
My least favorite part is the beginning because it doesn’t explain why the are even on the boat. I mean it’s a good book but the story is confusing to follow. It’s also really sad because my favorite character dies.
The book was also just a little hard to read because there were a
Tahni
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Aside from two characters (Charla and Lyssa) no one in this book was all that interesting or engaging. The dialogue was boring, often a cliche take on the way children speak very obviously written by an adult. I read this book with my fourth and fifth RTI groups, and with the exception of two fourth graders who did really get into the story around the time the storm hits, all of them seemed to be just as bored as I was (a couple even asked when we could start a new book). Unfortunately there's ...more
Ellen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great young adult book, discussing relevant issues to them.
And further, I agree with another readers comments Elise: "Frankly, these series deserve four stars just for being so addictive. Gordon Korman really does know how to build suspense and tension in his books. This series isn't anything particularly new, but the way it's told makes it so much better.

Lacey
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this series as my 9 & 10 sons love series like this (think 'I Survived') and they're at the age where I feel I have to read books before they do - some have adult content that they aren't ready for yet. As an adult, I rate this a 2, as an elementary teacher and a mom of elementary age kids, I rate it a 4. The characters irritate me, it was short, and a lot of it was highly unlikely (even for fiction.) However, I can see how kids can relate to the characters, it's the right length for ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shipwreck (Island #1) by Gordon Korman - Starting April 14th 2017 5 11 Apr 30, 2017 07:16PM
What did you think? 4 11 Dec 22, 2014 10:07AM

• Like the Willow Tree: The Diary of Lydia Amelia Pierce, Portland, Maine, 1918 (Dear America)
  • Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)
  • Shipwreck Island (Shipwreck Island, #1)
  • Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3)
  • Where Is the Bermuda Triangle?
  • On the Far Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #2)
  • Who Were the Tuskegee Airmen?
  • Who Was Leonardo da Vinci?
  • Who Was Neil Armstrong?
  • Who Was Lucille Ball?
  • Who Was Jim Henson?
  • The School Story
  • Frightful's Mountain (Mountain, #3)
  • Gunner Skale (The Mortality Doctrine, #0.5)
  • Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4)
  • Among the Barons (Shadow Children, #4)
  • Among the Enemy (Shadow Children, #6)
  • Among the Free (Shadow Children, #7)
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While